Unanswered Prayers

Job did it out of fear. God sacrificed His Son out of Love. Big difference here
2 Corinthians 11:3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

2 Corinthians 12:20 For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder.

2 Corinthians 12:21 I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.

Job did it out of fear. God sacrificed His Son out of Love. Big difference here
I understand your point, however I could say "I fear that you are incorrect" that would be an expression, of concern.....trust me when I say that I would not be quaking in my boots.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

2 Corinthians 12:20 For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder.

2 Corinthians 12:21 I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.
I don't see him acting on his fear. Job acted on his fear, and made sacrifices out of fear.

So now you're changing the definition from just "fear" to "acting on fear". That's a fallacy called Equivocation.
And yes there is a huge difference between the two. Sacrificing to the Lord out of fear is totally different than saying "I'm afraid you might do this or do that."

You know Relentless I can discuss this with calvin but you seem to always take this as an attack on you. It is really hard to discuss things with you because you get so offensive.
Why do you keep interpreting my questions as hostility or offense? This is just how I discuss things. Why do you keep taking offense at my writing style? (Or is the asking of that question another example of taking things personally?)

And yes there is a huge difference between the two. Sacrificing to the Lord out of fear is totally different than saying "I'm afraid you might do this or do that."
My point was that you did not say this until now, instead of saying from the start that the alleged sin of Job was not merely to fear but to act upon it. It looks to me like you're just making up criteria as you go along.

Anyway, there is no way we can discuss this, or anything else, if context doesn't matter.

So, it develops that you see that at first when the Lord says that Job is 'blameless and upright'...he was. what might have happened later is another story.
When God created Adam was he also not blameless and upright?....OK it didn't last all that long, but he started out with nice shiny shoes.
Job was the one that broke down the hedge that God had around him.

I don't see him acting on his fear. Job acted on his fear, and made sacrifices out of fear.

Lance.....
speaking only to the 2 Corth. 11 & 12 verses quoted it might be helpful if we considered the phrase
"But I fear lest by any means"....

Jealousy is always attended with fear, care, and solicitude, whether in things natural or spiritual. Paul, as things were in this church, could not but express his fears, lest as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety; that is, The apostle here speaks the language and sense of the Jews which comes across as "concern" and not real FEAR..

So the apostle was jealous and fearful, knowing that the false apostles were ministers of Satan, artful and cunning men, lest, through their craftiness and sophistry. It seems to me that Paul was concerned for his church and not necessarily in fear which caused him to react.

Just a thought.

Job was the one that broke down the hedge that God had around him.

The Targum says: ....
"so thick was the hedge, so strong the fence, that Satan could not find the least gap to get in at, to do him any injury to his body or mind, without the divine permission; which he envied and was vexed at, and maliciously suggests that this was the motive of Job's fear of the Lord; and indeed it was an obligation upon him to fear him, but not the sole cause of it:".

Then there is this........ Eccl. 10:8 states..... “whoso breaketh an hedge, a serpent shall bite him.”

The hedge God built around Job and all his house and all he had was for his protection. God builds hedges around believers as well. There is an invisible, Spiritual wall of protection around believers. Remember these three thoughts:
1. God builds the hedge
2. Man breaks the hedge,
3. Satan enters through the broken hedge and bites.

Just had a thought.
Until 1963, children in our public schools were permitted to pray the following prayer: .......
Almighty God. We acknowledge our dependence upon Thee and beg Thy blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers, and our country.”
On June 17, 1963, the Supreme Court ruled that prayer illegal.

Did we as a nation then remove God's hedge of protection???

The Holy Spirit is a gentleman—He does not intrude where He’s not wanted. When told to leave, He will go. We have as a nation, through our elected leaders and those they’ve appointed as judges, told God to leave the public square. We created a vacuum.

Nature abhors a vacuum. Satan was ready to step in.

Again......just a thought!

Last edited:
We can either choose to believe Jesus' own words, or not. I don't see conditions here as John MacArthur points out these promises were for the apostles only. What people don't realize is that the U.S. Government proved the works of Smith Wigglesworth, that he raise several folks from the dead including his own wife - she chewed him out for it too! Agnes Ozman of Topeka, Kansas, received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and spoke in a heavenly language, AND perfect Chinese. As the Pentecostals grew, more and more were able to speak in a heavenly language AND a foreign language. The U.S. Government when to Topeka and authenticated the dialects of earthly languages AND that the unknown tongue was indeed a language unknown on the earth! Like it or not, these are validated facts. I want to get there too! :D

You don't choose the manifestation of the Spirit that God puts upon you.... God chooses that based on HIS perfect knowledge and will. You can't will yourself into more or different manifestations of the Holy Spirit.... That's actually a SIN.. A serious error - look at Jude's reference to the Rebellion of Korah.... Korah was the Music Director - and a skilled one at that... The Levites that went along with him were Priests... Holy and pious men... but they were Goaded into desiring the gifts that God had laid upon Moses rather than being content to "Shine forth" with the gifts that God had bestowed upon them.... They were looking to OTHER PEOPLE for their happiness and satisfaction rather than looking to God.

God seems to be making the explicit point that we MUST rely upon other believers... We CANNOT do it all by ourselves - God will not stand with us when we try to....

When I went back through 1st Corinthians 12 - I noticed something interesting.... The Manifestations listed fall into 4 groups... It's almost as if God is making the point that you may have ONE in the group - but not all in the group... and that multiple manifestations of the Spirit typically fall across the groups rather than within one....

Here's how it shakes out
Wisdom OR knowledge
Healings upon their body/relief of their tribulations OR faithfulness (Fortitude, obedience, perseverance)
The ability to work Mighty works OR prophecy (Declaring the plan/purposes of God) OR discernment/judging spirits
Speaking in Languages OR interpretation of languages

and think of all the church groups you have attended....
There's a Vision guy and a Go Get it Done guy...
There's people who receive healings on their body and relief from their tribulations and there's OTHER people who exercise exceedingly great faithfulness, perseverance, and fortitude THROUGH withering tribulation and suffering
There's people who know The Answer and other people who provide Wise Counsel which strengthens and comforts....
People who speak Languages and people who Interpret languages....

But - I have also observed that the people who receive healings are often NOT the ones who exercise exceedingly great perseverance, fortitude, and obedience... I have observed that the people who KNOW the Answer are not the ones who provide wise counsel that comforts and strengthens.... I have observed that the ones working mighty works or discerning/judging spirits are NOT the ones who declare the Purposes of God....

How about a bible example....
Barak and Deborah - Judges 4-5... Barak had the Ability to work mighty works, but he had NO prophetic insight into God's specific plans... Deborah had prophetic insight into God's plans and purposes - but no ability to bring mighty works to fruition....

How about Acts 3... The Disciples speaking The Gospel in Tongues.. No indication is made that they understood a word of it... The ones HEARING it were the ones who understood - each in their own native tongue....

We must seek out others with manifestations that compliment our own.. This Diversity will result in furthering the Kingdom... Each of us trying to circle the wagons within our own "Comfort zones" is what gets us into trouble....

Thanks

Last edited:
You don't choose the manifestation of the Spirit that God puts upon you.... God chooses that based on HIS perfect knowledge and will. You can't will yourself into more or different manifestations of the Holy Spirit.... That's actually a SIN.. .

God seems to be making the explicit point that we MUST rely upon other believers... We CANNOT do it all by ourselves - God will not stand with us when we try to....
Excellent points, JohnC. And this is the issue I have with "name it and claim it", as if we can command God to do our bidding. But the examples you gave show that we are arranged in the Body as God sees fit, and if we were all one part there would be no Body (1 Cor. 12:17-20). We are meant to work together as one Body. And to demand more spiritual gifts seems to me ingratitude for the ones we already have. But sometimes that wish for more comes from a false sense of guilt instilled by those who tell us that we only lack certain gifts because of some fault in us.

I and my family have medical issues. I believe in healing, but... Isa 53:5 and 1 Pet 2:24 says a promise, but... I'm not sure how to break through to healing.

I believe a careful exegesis of Isaiah 53 shows that the diseases for which healing is promised are those diseases of the soul mentioned right before the promise. Physical healing of physical diseases is not promised here (though God also will and does heal these on occasion as He wills).

Back