UK Appoints First Muslim Cabinet Minister

Dusty

Inactive

Shalid Malik became the first Muslim to assume a ministerial portfolio in the British parliament, when he was appointed by the new UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Malik is minister of state for international development in the new British cabinet. He is in charge of UK relationships and policies for the Middle East, Latin America, South Asia, China, and Russia. The Arab world has recognized his interest in Palestinian affairs.

In an interview with Mina al-Urayba for the Saudi-owned newspaper Asharq al-Awsat, Malik said he monitored the Palestinian legislative elections. He said he has been deeply saddened by recent events in Gaza. Malik underlined, in the newspaper exclusive, the 40th anniversary of occupation of Palestinian lands demands additional efforts be made to assist the Palestinians.

The new British minister said his appointment showed “Britain is a society built on merit and competence. My appointment proves to Muslims and the working class that one can succeed in British society through merit and competence.†(Malik was raised in a limited-income Pakistani family.)

Malik gained his first prominence in 2001 when rioting occurred in the northern city of Burnley. While Malik tried to calm the angry young men, mostly Muslim, he was mistakenly beaten and arrested by police. That incident saw him adopted as the voice of British Muslims.

In his press briefing, Malik spoke of his recent visit to Yemen. “I was very well received, and a number of Yemeni officials said the appointment of a Muslim minister exemplifies ‘Britain’s greatness.’ When I visit the Islamic world, officials and the general public can communicate with me and through the British Government, and that is a very positive thing.†“We also want to send the message (to terrorists) that matters are proceeding normally and that the murder of innocent civilians will not end our support for Yemen,†he said.

Malik served as an observer for the Palestinian elections in 2006 which Hamas won. “For those like me who monitored the elections, our hearts ache over the situation today, especially after the optimism we sensed in those days, when Nablus was closer to Notting Hill (a London neighborhood) and there were more women than men in the streets,†he said.

“It needs to be understood that if Hamas wants to be treated seriously, then it must bear its responsibilities, and Hamas clearly knows what is expected of it in respect to the conditions set by the International Quartet,†he added.

(By Ron Ross, BFP Israel Mosaic Radio, August 15, 2007)

Prayer Focus
Pray that Muslim leaders who obtain positions of authority and influence in democratic nations will be led by wisdom and a genuine desire to bring peace and assurance to their constituents.

Scripture
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; a good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever†(Psalm 111:10).

There goes the nieghborhood!LOL! Seriously though all of Europe is becoming increasingly muslim so one would expect them to start showing up in government- this is ok on the surface but lets face it- there is not one muslim dominated country were everyone who isn't muslim isn't persecuted and/or far worse.
If you truly follow Jesus you bring light and love- if you serve allah you blow up women and children and think that gets you to heaven- how demonic can you get?

Yah , It is pretty scary. We here in Toronto have a huge muslim population and believe me they do their pushing . In the public schools they want to force their religion and screem discrimination if it does not happen. When my son was in the younger grades and that was some time ago . They wanted a special room in the school during Ramadan so that their children did not have to be in the lunch room with the other kids.

But sorry to say.... Christianity has taken a back bench and at Christmas time the school would not put up a Christmas tree or decorations. Now tell me if I went to the middle east, I would have to wear a burka and conform to their rules so when they come to our country... why don't they conform to ours?

I will have to look it up but I remember the prime minister from Australia telling them.... It is a free country, but if you don't like our policies then find another country.

Sorry , I got on my band wagon:eek::eek:

I found the article that I was talking about.

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks. A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia and her Queen at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his Ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown. Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state, and its laws were made by parliament. "If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you", he said on National Television. I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia : one the Australian law and another Islamic law that is false. If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option", Costello said. Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off. Basically people who don't want to be Australians, and who don't want, to live by Australian values and understand them, well then, they can basically clear off", he said. Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians." "However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia ." "However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand." "This idea of Australia being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. And as Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle." "This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom" "We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!" "Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture." "We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us." "If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others. "This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'." "If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted."

It ain't an individual, average Muslim issue with radicalism. It's a radical Musilm CLERICS issue, with agenda driven, forced education of the young and the total disregard for the original contents of the Koran with rewriting their holy texts to fit a new agenda of hatred of us; the infidels. This would be the same as a sect of extremist christians (lower case deliberate) rewriting both of the Testaments to fit their wacko agenda.

Where are the rank and file Muslim voices in protest of what them clerics are doing to their faith? WHERE? I ain't heard ONE Muslim in a high government or religious setting in ANY country speak out against the radicals. NOT ONCE... There may be one someplace and if someone's got info about a vocal anti radical Muslim official, please let us all know. His or her life will be placed in jeopardy if it is publicized... OOPS, did we find the key here as to why there ain't no vocal anti radical Muslims ?... Sure seems that way. Speak out and your relatives will be burying you in 4 days. Speak out and your children will be tortured. Speak out and your parents and grand parents will be put in prisons in the Middle East, never to be heard of again. Do we see some extraordinary power and control that them radical clerics have given to themselves ?... Sure seems that way.

Any answers to these issues? Yeah, but the Muslim population would have to physically silence the clerics and we all know that this ain't gonna happen.

Wouldn't it be interesting, hypothetically, if the Koran included the text of John 3:16 ...?... Wouldn't it?

Wouldn't it be interesting, hypothetically, if the Koran included the text of John 3:16 ...?... Wouldn't it?

For sure but much prayer and fasting will have to happen before that ever happens.

brown talks rubbish,merit and fairness comes second best in this cut throat world.pleasing muslims with one hand and crucifiying the poor with cheap foreign labour with the other.advice to brown sort your own problems out because we have many before you try to fix others.:groupray:

Back