1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Storm 'Gabrielle' Preparations by Avlight

Discussion in 'Environmental Issues' started by avlight, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Tropical Storm 'Gabrielle' Preparations by Avlight

I live in the current watch zone (south east NC) five miles from the coast . I decided ahead of time to stock up on bottled water, fuel the vehicles, have batteries, etc. because when I went to Wal-Mart at 7 AM this morning, the bottled water, batteries, and bread was being moved to the front of the store. As I was doing some other business, I noticed that the prices around town at gas stations passed on my trip to Wal Mart this morning rose 2 - 4 cents per gallon in a matter of hours. The 'mild price gouging' is starting.
  2. It is always good to be prepare as those thngs can get mean in a hury- you are in my prayers!
  3. It is always a pleasure to see people who take these storms very seriously, prepare well in advance of them and take personal responsibility to keep themselves and their families safe.

However, there are many more persons who wait until the very last minute to do any preparation because they always try to second guess the official agency predictions. Then when an 18 foot storm surge, 35 foot waves and 160 MPH winds start knocking on their door, it is too late. Several areas in Louisiana during Katrina in 2005 are a good example of storm complacency.

This storm, 'Gabrielle' will not be that severe, but power outages, lowlands flooding and strong gusty winds will be felt starting later today in some areas and continuing into the middle of this coming week.

Avlight - I am proud to hear your plans - Also, stay tuned to your local NOAA Alert Radio System for any watches and warnings:

and for all USA States:

4. We are under 'watch' as of right now. Having been through Diana, Hugo, Bertha, Fran (no power for 5 days and looters around), Felix, Ernesto and others that I can not remember their names, you pre-prepare no matter how serious the storm may be. You treat the mild tropical storm the same as a Cat-5 in reference to preparations in reference to gasoline, batteries, water and bread, tarps and rope, and keeping the cellphone charged as much as possible.

I have a weather / am-fm / tv band radio and also have a police scanner. I hate to say it but NOAA doesn't update latest coordinates until 20 minutes after the hour and by then, The Weather Channel, Internet, and local media has already broadcasted them over and over again. The only time NOAA is more current is when the storm is in close proximmity.

Around here, information is held back to make sure law enforcement and 'emergency management' gets in place then the information is released hours later to the media where they play 'hero'. You learn so much more about what is going on in the storm with the police scanner monitoring the police, emergency management, sheriffs, highway patrol, red cross, weather band, aeronautical weather, city traffic control, and I have on my scanner the ability to listen to marine band which makes listening to marine emergency channel 16 possible because of the more detailed forecasts on the water. I also have frequencies to the local power company's fleet trucks two-way radio system that a friend who works there gave me. Also, in my good ole truck, I have a CB and you learn about what roads are passable or not monitoring channels 9, 19, 11, 14, and locally here, 5, 28, and 30 where alot of local talk takes place and people test their linears out.

When the Weather Channel comes nearby to do their on-site report at the top of the hour, I usually go down to the beach and try to meet them.

You know what parts of the city is without power, where trees have fallen into which streets making them impassable, where the traffic lights have gone down, etc. More than what the radio and tv stations know.
  5. AVlight - nice reply and good info for others along coastal areas.

Many persons use CB Class D radios in this type of scenario including Law Enforcement when their primary base stations are knocked off the air by wind. Battery power and a temporary CB antenna has gotten more than one Public Safety agency back on the air in times of devastation crisis.

Our own Chaplain Responder Vehicles have a 50 watt VHF radio on our own licensed itinerant frequency. We also have a 25 watt UHF unit in our vehicles to coordinate with other response teams from the Red Cross and REACT International. Two scanners in each vehicle plus a Cobra 29 NWSTWX CB radio with weather alert is installed as well. We also have a full compliment of safety gear and can work out of our vehicles indefinately while responding into post storm areas. Unfortunately, we also carry a 'Last Rites' kit with us to anoint the gravely injured.

Looks as if the area near the NC/Virginia line is going to get a fair amount of this. Beach errosion will be present throughout your state's coastal areas. Take care and be safe.
  6. 8 PM

Where I am at, the tropical storm watch has been removed and we are not under any watches or warnings at this time.