Treats others as you want to be treated

Treats others as you want to be treated

I know you have probably heard this hundreds and thousands of times.

But, I wanted to stress this a little further - not in the sense of creating a debate, but in the sense of showing that we should think about this motto a little bit more.

When I say this, I think about the times I have seen non-believers or other people of other religions call us names. But, I have seen many people who consider themselves Christian do the same thing.

I am not saying anyone here on CFS does this, but when you are about to make a "joke" about atheists, or Hindu, or Islam, maybe thinking about what they say when they "joke" about us can help.

I want to be treated with respect, and no I do not mean someone putting me up on a pedestal. I mean respect in that I have feelings, emotions, and that I have a right to follow my belief. That's the way I treat other people. I know many people do not respect my beliefs, blah blah blah, you don't have to imply that.

BUT what I mean is as the title of this whole thread says "treats others as you want to be treated"

What I have just wrote may sound offensive, silly, selfish, or whatever a lot of people sometimes think.

Sometimes, I've just got to say it. I probably feel the same way about a lot of comments and threads on this forum, and it's my own mistake.

I want to be a lot like God - probably more than what some people imply. God doesn't make "jokes" (and when I say "jokes" I mean trying to make like it's funny when it really makes someone else offended and hurt) about people of other religions or denominations in the Christian religion.

Well, if my thread makes any sense to you, and you can get the idea of what I am trying to say - thanks. If you can't, sorry about that.

:)

Near*

Don't worry about what people think about this Near, you are absolutely right. Would Jesus crack insulting jokes about those who didn't believe in Him?

And we ARE to do what we can to be like Him - not pick and choose which ways we do or don't want to be like Him.

I mean I really liked that athiest joke with the hand puppets, but it stirs up anger in any athiests seeing it and then just like that we've produced hate.

Don't worry about what people think about this Near, you are absolutely right. Would Jesus crack insulting jokes about those who didn't believe in Him?

And we ARE to do what we can to be like Him - not pick and choose which ways we do or don't want to be like Him.

I mean I really liked that athiest joke with the hand puppets, but it stirs up anger in any athiests seeing it and then just like that we've produced hate.

Thanks Mark_18.

Back