Training Our Children

In the book of proverbs chapter 22 verse 6, solomon wrote
" train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. I have been dealing with the fruit of my toxic parenting skills, and the fruit I sewed into my children's lives. I have had to , with The Holy Spirit look at the woman I was and who God has transformed into..
The cry of my heart 20 years ago was from
Psalm 51.

• 1. Oh loving and kind God, Have mercy. Have pity upon me and take away the awful stain of my transgressions.
  • 2. Oh wash me, cleanse me from this shameful deed
  • ...4. It is against You and You alone that I have sinned and did this terrible thing. You saw it all, and your sentence is just.
  • 5. But I was born a sinner , yes from the moment my mother conceived me.
  • 6. You deserve honesty from the heart; yes utter sincerity and truthfulness. Oh give me this wisdom.
  • 7. sprinkle me with cleansing blood,and I shall be clean again. Wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.
  • 8. After you have punished me, give me back my Joy again.
  • 10. Create in me a new clean heart, oh God, filled with clean thoughts and right desires.
  • 10 (b). Don't take your Holy Spirit from me.
  • 12. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you.
  • 13 Then I will teach your ways to other sinners, and they--
  • 14. guilty like me-- will repent and return to you.
  • Then they will repent and return to you oh God.
  • 14-15 Don't sentence me to death. Oh my God, you alone can rescue me.
Then I will sing of your forgiveness, for my lips will be unsealed- oh how I will praise you.
living bible copyright 1971 by Tindale House Foundation

God took me at my word and slowly renewed my heart, and led me in 'paths of righteousness' (ps. 23)
after being estranged from my children, God is restoring ou relationship.
I am finding Proverbs 22:6 is more important than ever. It is not just the things we tell our children but the way we live our lives. Openness, accountability and vulnerability are traits our children need us to show 24/7 in our lives.
I can't say I know how to parent and train children to live for God but I do know, how not to do it, if that makes sense. God is compassionate, kind and merciful, and when faced with the multitude of challenges that come with being a parent and grandparent I know that the first thing I have to do is ask The holy Spirit! an then obey, even if it means offending other, people Christians as well as non Christians.
Because if we have belief systems and thought life, that do not line up with Gods' word, are not teaching our children to walk in Gods' ways but according to our interpretation of Gods' word.
Gods' compassion and mercy compel me to also say there is no condemnation in Jesus Christ, (rom. 8:1) Our Heavenly Father Is Love (1jn 1: 7&8). Grieved and sad He may be at our actions He is waiting with open arms to pour out His love on us, and He loves us even when we get it wrong. and

God is also into

restoration and transformation.
alleluia amen
Let His Praises Ring

Hello, I thought since we were both new members that I'd comment on this subject if you don't mind. My wife and I are former youth Pastors, we have a teenage son on a Christian Gap Year and, believe it or not, two babies under two so as you can imagine we've had a lot of prayer times and seeking God on this kind of subject. One of the most important NT scriptures we find in relation to parents and children is "parents provoke not your children to anger" and when you study these verses deeply, you find a treasure trove of God's revelation. The question comes up, what does it mean to provoke your children to anger? By with-holding affection, by with-holding discipline, by being unjust and unfair, by not apologizing when you're wrong, for giving in when you're right.....there is just a whole host of teaching to come from those verses which can take you throughout the scriptures. Creating anger in a child for whatever reason whether it be rejecting them or not giving them enough praise is a deeply wounding thing to do and this is why God is quite specific when it comes to anger. A child just doesn't have the capacity to work out an emotional problem themselves, infact most adults struggle and this is why God focuses in on this area. If we can show our children the true love of God, not just the fuzzy bits, be sensitive to their needs and above all reassure them every chance we get, then I'm sure God will do the rest by his spirit and guiding. Hope this has been helpful.....

Back