1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Top Ten Detox Foods

Discussion in 'Sports, Games and Health' started by Dusty, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Top Ten Detox Foods

Top 10 Detox Foods
    Provided by: RealAge, Yahoo! Editorial Team
    As spring swings into gear, there's no better time to give your body a healthy, fresh start! Plus, if you're thinking about lowering your weight (and your RealAge) "eating clean" is a great first step. Add these 10 foods to your grocery cart and you'll get three terrific benefits:
    1. Lots of super-healthy liquids to flush out the body while pouring in nutrients.
    2. Fiber to keep your GI tract fit.
    3. Foods that energize cleansing enzymes in the liver, your body's built-in detox center.

The top 10:
    1. Green leafy vegetables Eat them raw, throw them into a broth, add them to juices. Their chlorophyll helps swab out environmental toxins (heavy metals, pesticides) and protects the liver
    2. Lemons You need to keep the fluids flowing to wash out the body and fresh lemonade is ideal. Its vitamin C, considered the detox vitamin, helps convert toxins into a water-soluble form that's easily flushed away.
    3. Watercress Put a handful into salads, soups, and sandwiches. The peppery little green leaves have a diuretic effect that helps move things through your system. And cress is rich in minerals too.
    4. Garlic Add it to everything -- salads, sauces, spreads. In addition to the bulb's cardio benefits, it activates liver enzymes that help filter out junk.
    5. Green tea This antioxidant-rich brew is one of the healthiest ways to get more fluids into your system. Bonus: It contains catechins, which speed up liver activity.
    6. Broccoli sprouts Get 'em at your health-food store. They pack 20 to 50 times more cancer-fighting, enzyme-stimulating activity into each bite than the grown-up vegetable.
    7. Sesame seeds They're credited with protecting liver cells from the damaging effects of alcohol and other chemicals. For a concentrated form, try tahini, the yummy sesame seed paste that's a staple of Asian cooking.
    8. Cabbage There are two main types of detoxifying enzymes in the liver; this potent veggie helps activate both of them. Coleslaw, anyone?
    9. Psyllium A plant that's rich in soluble fiber, like oat bran, but more versatile. It mops up toxins (cholesterol too) and helps clear them out. Stir powdered psyllium into juice to help cleanse your colon, or have psyllium-fortified Bran Buds for breakfast.
    10. Fruits, fruits, fruits They're full of almost all the good things above: vitamin C, fiber, nutritious fluids, and all kinds of antioxidants. Besides, nothing tastes better than a ripe mango, fresh berries, or a perfect pear.
    Ultimate Detox Recipe:
    Toss dark, leafy greens in hot, garlicky oil for a cleansing and delicious dish...

Easy Wilted Garlic-Sesame Salad
    4 servings, about 65 calories each

1 tsp. olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 lb. spinach, stemmed,
    or 1 lb. Swiss chard, stems sliced, leaves torn
    or 1 lb. mixture of spinach and watercress
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 tsp. sesame seeds for garnish

Warm oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly browned, about 45 seconds. Add greens (do in two batches, if necessary) and toss until just wilted, 2 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

2. Oh that sounds so yummy! I am always looking for good healthy recipies to add to my diet. I try to eat healthy to help me fight the physical illnesses I have. Thank you Dusty!
  3. I was happy to find this and I copied it out and have it on my frig . A lot of the stuff I already eat but it good to know what they all are good for .
    What do you think , my friend says they are no good unless they are organic and also it does not say how nuch we need to eat to get the benefits.

I have never tasted brocolli sprouts but will go and get some . I also think it is so important ( expecially at my age ) to eat healthily .... well any age I guess and more important as a senior.
  4. Dusty I have done so much study on this stuff. Organic is definitly best but if it cant be found or afforded then the regular is better then processed foods by far. Washing all veggies and fruits is a plus.

I eat a lot of fresh raw foods when I can afford it. I grow my own sprouts on my kitchen counter..its very easy and takes up hardly any space with the right kind of sprouter:) I have grown brocolii sprouts, they are good, a little bit of a bite bt not bad. I love alfalfa sprouts and salad sprouts. I also like mung bean sprouts a lot. I try to keep some on hand at all times.

One thing many of s forget is to drink water, fresh clean water...and lots of it! Half your body weight in ounces of water a day is said to be perfect. I dont ever drink that much..LOL But a good 60-80 ounces a day of water and other good for you fluids....like fresh juices.

I have a juice machine and when i am well enough I make fresh carrot juices and I love it.

Here is my sprouter.

This is 3/4 way through a sprouting cycle. It takes about 5 days to make good sprouts.
  5. Wow , I'm impressed . My friend in B. C. is actually a raw fooder as he calls himself and does a lot of juicing and eats all his veg raw and goes to eat at raw food restuarants . We do not have all that here but they seem to be more into health food on Vancouver Island. He has a greenhouse and grows his own veg.

So where did you get that sprouter ? That's a lot of sprouts . I am by myself and could not eat all that before it goes bad.
  6. I am by myself also..you can make as much or little as you want....it all depends on how much seed you put in the sprouter. The sprouter is not a big as it may look in the picture.

I got my sprouter on overstock.com.

I love raw foods and it has helped my health some, I can feel the differance when I eat raw veggies and fruits and stay away from the sugar. Refined sugar is horrible for you. I use raw honey and molases. Also agave nectar is great. And they taste wonderful.

Dont get me wrong i do like a nice piece of dark chocolate now and then..LOL

I love the sprouts on sandwiches and on salads. I am not a big one for lettuce so I use raw spinach to make salads a lot of the time.
  7. Yes , I too use raw spinach instead of lettuce , cause most lettuce does not have much nutricianal value . I don't use sugar much either and drink green tea just by itself .

Have you ever tried maple syrup instead of honey as it is natural as well . I love the very dark one cause it is thicker and has a stronger flavour. I never tried that agave nectar . Is it sweet? When I was in Israel two years ago , I bought some date honey as they told us when it speaks of honey in the Bible it is honey from the dates not from the bees . It was really good but can't find it here.

Yes my friend also says he feels so much better when he eats raw veg and so I really must incorporate more into my diet as well . I do love fruit and of course eat that raw.
  8. I have never tried maple syrup or date honey...I will have to look for it.

Agave nector is really good, yes it is sweet and has good flavor.

I think most my trouble comes in with having the energy to prepare the raw veggies. Lot of washing and cutting. I do like to lightly steam veggies also and am learning the temps to use that ensure the most nutritional value is saved. When veggies are heated they loose value...but if you steam on low temps they retain much more and are yummy:)
  9. How about microwaving the veg ? I just put a small amount of water and don't leave them for too long so that they are still crisp. My problem is that I like to put butter on them .
  10. I dont use the microwave at all to cook in. The microwaves kill all the nutritional value of food. They heat at extreme temps and the enzyme activity is so fast it kills everything.

Ther is nothing wrong with butter if it is real butter not margarine. Butter has some fst in it but we need some fat, if you use butter and eat mostly healthy raw foods you would be fine.

Here is somthing to think about though...we are the only living mammal to drink milk as adults. Many people dont realise how harmful milk and dairy products are to the adult body.
  11. Hmmm .... something to think about but I love all the dairy and eat a lot of yogurt , cottage cheese , reg. cheese etc. But then I figure hwo would I be getting my calcium and yes I do take a supplement.
  12. Lot of people think they are getting so much calcium from dairy but in truth ther is more calcium in some fruits then dairy products and the risk does not outweigh the benitifs.

I get a organic green blend powder that is made from veggies and fruits..it has about every vitamin and mineral you can think of in it and I mix it in apple juice and its good:) The calcium level is high and it has the balance of vitamin D and magnesium to allow the body to actually absorb the calcium. If you dont have the vitamins and minerals in balance they wont be absorbed.

This is what I get for a supplement and its the only one I take.
    Bio Innovations
  13. Thanks RR ... I do take multivits from Curves and a special protein powder that has a lot of exta minerals and vit D and I feel good with that.

That supplement looks good though . Can you buy it in the health food store ? And then that would be in American money if bought it on line .
  14. I dont know if it sells in health food stores or not, I have always bought it online..it ships world wide so I am sure currancy is not a problem.
  15. [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In the beginning, God created man, to be a vegetarian: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Genesis – 1:29[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]God will never let us eat meat, if he knew, that it is not good for our health– (Genesis 9:3, Deuteronomy – 14) [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    Jesus was eating bread and fish (carbs+protein), at the same meal.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The doze (dosage) of a component, makes it to be a poison or a medicine, good or bad for health.[/FONT]

If you eat only when you are hungry, that will help you to become a normal weight in a few months time, your body will clean itself from toxins properly, and you will consume much less food, in comparison of eating three big meals a day.
    Also, if the size of your portions is about the size of your fist, that will be enough, to satisfy your hunger, and your body needs. Your stomach, is about the size of your fist. Big meals, need more energy, blood, and digestive juices in order to be digested. So, if the portions of each of your meals, is bigger than your fist, the body will have more struggle to digest and eliminate it. It is possible, that some of the big meal, will not be digested, if not enough juices are not produced, so that will lead to indigestion.

Digestion of food, needs more energy than some aerobic sports. Eating smaller meals, will make you less tired.

Eat foods, which are not processed, because, whole natural foods, have more nutrients in themselves, in comparison with the processed ones, and also, the natural foods have less less toxins than the processed foods. The fresh natural foods like fruits and vegetables, have enzymes in them, which are important for digestion. Processed foods do not have enzymes usually in comparison.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Every food, which God created, is good, and is not harmful for man – Genesis 1:31[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]