To Be Perfect, Or Not To Be Perfect, What Was Jesus Commanding?

I'll buy this....

That is perfect love as I understand it. But what about that time when Paul says, as many of us as are perfect, and I am to present you as perfect when He returns..... how is the word perfect meant there and can it happen? Mostly what did Paul mean that people were perfect already, and he was to help us get there b4 Christ arrived?

Your post is dea on for perfect love, now I'm trying to expand the answer, as the word "perfect" isn't always used in a reference of how you love, errrr or in a ashion that is discussing love. So seperating your big picture, to the use of the word and its meaning etymologically.....

Perfect love sees His people through His eyes and acts accordingly to show the Father's great love to them! Perfect love cannot imagine seeing the hurting and needy people and turning a righteous nose up at them in judgment.

Keep in mind, one can only give what one has received. To love the way He desires, even commands, we must have accepted the exact same perfect love when we were the ones who were hurt, needy, broken, and destitute.

2 Peter 3:9 He was patient with each of us.

That NONE should perish.

I'll buy this....

That is perfect love as I understand it. But what about that time when Paul says, as many of us as are perfect, and I am to present you as perfect when He returns..... how is the word perfect meant there and can it happen? Mostly what did Paul mean that people were perfect already, and he was to help us get there b4 Christ arrived?

Your post is dea on for perfect love, now I'm trying to expand the answer, as the word "perfect" isn't always used in a reference of how you love, errrr or in a ashion that is discussing love. So seperating your big picture, to the use of the word and its meaning etymologically.....

Perfection is obtained by abiding in His Perfect Love (as described in my previous post). An awakening to, and realization of, this Perfect Love is one thing. Truthfully, the process of perfection goes farther than simply "working" or "serving" God and idolizing those fuzzy feel-good feelings from doing charitable acts. One must be willing to, and purposefully, remain there - in HIS perfect love - to be in position to be changed from the person you want to be to the person He wants you to be, by the power of the Spirit of God.

1 John 3:6 (ESV) "No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him."

So, how do you remain in that "sweet spot"? TO ABIDE. By stopping all the striving TO BE perfect. HE is the one who perfects. TRUST that His grace is sufficient, er, more than that, His grace is ALL we have to hold on to; it is WHO we are! If God's grace not the base foundation of your faith, then take another look, please, or keep striving...your choice.

When the Father looks at His children, who comfortably abide in the grace found in His Son, Jesus', death, resurrection and teachings, He is pleased because that is his child's "belief in action."

And if the heart of God is love, His kind of love (perfecting love), then what do we do with this set of verses?

Matthew 15:3-9
"And He answered and said to them, “Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? “For God said, ‘HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER,’ and, ‘HE WHO SPEAKS EVIL OF FATHER OR MOTHER IS TO BE PUT TO DEATH.’ “But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever I have that would help you has been given to God,” he is not to honor his father or his mother.’ And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition.“You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you:
‘THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
‘BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.’”

I take this to say: that JESUS says it is hypocrisy to hold oneself in higher regard than another. It's an "I love God, so I can't tolerate you" mentality. I must confess I have been so guilty of this for too many years and I hope the Holy Spirit so has His way with each of our hearts to be allowed to burn off all that chaff we carry around as fluff - masked as righteousness - to hold ourselves in higher esteem than another. It's a heart condition, imo, that only the Great Physician can cure.

Blessings to each of you as you endeavor to find, believe and trust His Truth!

Back