Tithing Is Not A New Testament Principle

Let’s look closely at Abram’s tithe. First, the goods that Abram gave the tenth from didn’t even belong to Abram:

Genesis 14:21 (KJV) - And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.

Notice in verse 21 the king of Sodom didn’t ask Abram if he would give back to him the people, but rather said GIVE ME the people and keep the goods for yourself. The way that is worded indicates that the king of Sodom was claiming that the people and the goods belonged to him, but he offered the goods to Abram.

It would normally have been the custom that the victor owns the spoils, but normally the spoils would have belonged to the enemy. In this case, Abram was RECOVERING goods belonging to the King of Sodom.

NOTE: The king of Sodom had an original right both to the persons and to the goods, and it would bear a debate whether Abram’s acquired right by rescue would supersede his title and extinguish it; but, to prevent all quarrels, the king of Sodom makes this fair proposal (v. 21).
--Should the Church Teach Tithing by Dr. Russell Earl Kelly, pages 24-25

Genesis 14:22-24 (KJV)
22And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
23That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
24Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

Notice in verses 23 and 24 Abram also acknowledges that the goods belonged to the king of Sodom. But the king of Sodam offered that Abram could keep the goods for himself. Abram declined the offer. He didn’t want man to take credit for his wealth. By not accepting any of the goods for himself, Abram was putting all his faith in God to provide for him rather than man.

Therefore, it is clear that both the king of Sodom and Abram acknowledged that the spoils of war did NOT belong to Abram, yet he gave a tenth of the spoils to King Melchizedek. This would seem that Abram did something wrong, if not even illegal, but Biblical historians agree that it was custom in Abram's day to give the king a tenth of the war spoils. Had Abram not given the tenth, he would have gone against custom.

Conclusion: Abram did NOT give a tenth of his income, or his wealth. Abram gave a tenth of the spoils of war that didn’t belong to him and declined to keep the goods offered to him. That is NOT an example of tithing for Christians to follow today. By declining to keep any of the goods for himself, Abram showed his faith that God would provide. That is the example of faith that Christians should be following. Furthermore, the law did NOT require a tenth of war spoils to be given, so to say that tithing was before the law and then in the law is not true. What Abram did was NOT even codified into the later law.

Gary......with all due respect to you, I must say that this as is most cases with people who have an agenda, an example of forcing the Bible to say what we want it to say NOT what it actually says.

Your comment was.............
"The way that is worded indicates that the king of Sodom was claiming that the people and the goods belonged to him, but he offered the goods to Abram. It would normally have been the custom that the victor owns the spoils, but normally the spoils would have belonged to the enemy. In this case, Abram was RECOVERING goods belonging to the King of Sodom."

Really, is that what the Bible really says Gary???? BUT that is NOT what the Scriptures do in fact say is it Gary???

As you have correctly stated and I agree with you.....READ THE BIBLE! Lets do that shall we.

Genesis 14:14
"And when there came one that had escaped and told Abram the Hebrew, for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner and these were confederate with Abram."

Verse 13 tells us that Abram had some allies. These allies and their men went also. The allies are referred to the same way that the kings are referred to in verse 11 and earlier. The Bible tells us that 'four kings seized all the goods ...' It wasn't just 4 guys on horseback with robes and crowns. It is talking about their armies. The same is true of the 3 people named in verse 13. There were those three and their armies or the men in their households. This is supported in verse 24. Abram's allies went with him into battle against the 4 kings and Abram wanted to make certain that they got the reward they were due.

Verse 16.....
"And he brought back all the goods and also brought again his brother Lot AND his goods and the women also, and the people."

I do not know of anyone who reads this who can say that Abram brough Lots' goods and there for he did not tithe on what he did not own.......except you. They brought back from the cities they attacked the spoils'goods of the war.

Clearly the Scriptures say that Abram and his friends brought back all the goods AND Lot AND his goods as well.

That is what it says Gary NOT was is indicated at all.

Abram's gift is an excellent example of what Paul wrote about in the New Testament.
2 Cor 9:6-7
"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give , not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. "
Abram decided on his own how much he wanted to give. YOU should decide for yourself how much you want to give.
According to the Code of Hammurabi of that day, Abram had a perfect right to the spoils of war and he did. He could have given more than 10% but didn't and we can give more than 10% if we so choose to do so.

Gary, therefore reading the Bible we see that Melchizedek blessed Abram in verse 19 as he recognized that Abram's victory was because God had '..delivered your enemies into your hand.' Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth or tithe of everything he got from the 4 kings. The word 'everything' is explained further in the book in Hebrews.

Heb 7:4
" Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder!" ( NIV)
Abram gave him a tenth of everything he plundered back from the 4 kings that had plundered Sodom and Gomorrah and had taken all the people and Abram's nephew Lot. The tenth or tithe was a portion of what Abram had at the time.

Now that is what the Bible says Gary.........NOT what I want it to say my friend.

@Major,

I guess you are calling Abram a liar. It was Abram who said he wasn't going to keep anything that belonged to someone else. See Genesis 14:22-24.

The scriptures tell us that Abram (BEFORE God changed his name to Abraham. BEFORE God had a covenant with Abraham) gave a tenth. The scriptures do not tell us why Abram gave the tenth. The scriptures do not say that Abram gave from the heart, out of faith, or any other reason.

Nowhere in the scriptures do we see any example of Abram/Abraham giving a tenth from his regular income. Nowhere in the scriptures do we find any other example of Abram/Abraham giving a tenth of anything to anyone.

No one can be honest and use Abram's one-time example of giving a tenth of war spoils and say they are following Abram's example by giving a tenth of their income to a corporation organized to do business as a church. Common sense tells us that going to war, winning, and bringing back the spoils, then giving a tenth, has absolutely nothing to do with giving a tenth of one's income on a regular basis. It is deception taught by either ignorant or just plain dishonest pastors.

To relate 2 Cor 9:6-7 shows a total lack of understanding of the scriptures. Paul never referred to Abram's tenth, nor did Paul ever teach tithing to born-again believers. That is pure nonsense.

Tithing opponents throughout the years as compiled by Dr. David Croteau, Liberty University, You Mean I Don’t Have to Tithe?, p271-292.

Clement of Rome 100
Didache 100
Justin Martyr 165
Tertullian 230
Origen 255
Cyprian 258
Waldenses 1150+-
Thomas Aquinas 1275
John Wycliff 1384
John Huss 1415
German Peasants 1520
Anabaptists 1525
Erasmus 1536
Otto Brumfels 1534
Martin Luther 1546
Philip Melanchthon 1560
Separatists Amsterdam 1603
John Smythe 1609 Baptist
John Robinson 1610
English Parliament 1650+-
Puritans & Plgrims Mass 1650+-
John Cotton 1652 Puritan
Roger Williams 1636 Baptist
Little Parliament 1653
Oliver Cromwell 1658
John Milton 1658 Puritan
Particular Baptists 1660
John Owen 1680 Baptist
Francis Turretin 1687
John Bunyan 1688 Baptist
Quakers 1768
John Gill 1771 Baptist
John Wesley 1791
BAPTISTS IN AMERICA 1800s
Adam Clarke 1832 Baptist
Charles Buck 1833
J C Philpot 1835 Baptist
Charles H Spurgeon 1832 Baptist
Parsons Cooke 1850
Samuel Harris 1850
Edward A Lawrence 1850
John Peter Lange 1876
Henry William Clark 1891 Engllish
S H Kellogg 1891
G Campbell Morgan 1898 Congregational
Albert Vail 1913 Baptist
Frank Fox 1913
David MaConaughy 1918 Episcopal
William Pettingill 1932
John Harvey Grime 1934 Baptist
John T Mueller 1934 Lutheran
H E Dana 1937 Bapt Historian
R C H LENSKI 1946 Lutheran
Lewis Sperry Chafer 1948 DTS Foundeer
W E Vine 1949
James F Rand 1953
Francis Pieper 1953 Lutheran
Ray Stedman 1951
L L McR 1955 Catholic
Paul Leonard Stagg 1958 Baptist
Hiley H Ward 1958 Baptist
Roy T Cowles 1958
Elizabeth P Tilton 1958
R C Rein 1958 Lutheran
Robert A Baker 1959 Bapt Historian
Wick Bromall 1960
John Byron Evans 1960
Norman Tenpas 1967
James Edward Anderson 1967
Alfred Martin 1968
CHARLES C RYRIE 1969 DTS
Jerry Horner 1972 S Baptist
Pieter Verhoef 1974
Dennis Wretlind 1975
Jack J Peterson 1978 Pres
Donald Kraybill 1978
Jon Zens 1979 Baptist
Richard Cunningham 1979 S Bapt
Gary Frieson 1980
JOHN MACARTHUR 1982-2000
Paul Fink 1982
George Monroe Castillo 1982
Tony Badillo 1984
James M Boice 1986
Michael E Oliver 1986 Rest
W Clyde Tilley 1987
Scott Collier 1987
Ronald M Campbell 1987
R E O White 1988
William McDonald 1989
Charles Swindoll 1990 Dallas Seminary
Rhodes Thompson 1990
J VERNON MCGEE 1999
Jerome Smith 1992
CRAIG BLOMBERG 1993 Denver Seminary
J Duncan M Derrett 1993
Walter Kaiser Jr 1994 Gordon-Cromwell
Moises Silva 1994
Benny D Prince 1995
Brian K Morley 1996
Linda L Belleville 1996
Ron Rhodes 1997
Ernest L Martin 1997
Michael Webb 1998
R Johnston 1999
Mark Snoeberger 2000 Baptist
Stuart Murray 2000 Eng
George W Greene 2000
Old Line Primitive Baptists 2000
Jaime Cardinal Sin 2000 Cath Archbishop
RUSSELL EARL KELLY 2001 Baptist
Jonathan Kitchcart 2001
Frank Viola 2002
George Barna 2002
Michael Morrison 2002
Elliott Miller 2003
Matthew Narramore 2004
David Alan Black 2004 Baptist SEBTS
Andreas Kostenberger 2007 Baptist SEBTS
Danny Akin 2007 Baptist SEBTS
Mark Driscoll 2008
Roman Catholic Church
Jehovah’s Witnesses
New Worldwide Church of God

Just what is my agenda? Whether one tithes or not has absolutely no effect on my income or life. My only agenda is to teach truth. To expose the tithing lie being taught in so many organized churches today. I truly care about my brothers and sisters in Christ, and don't like to see them being brainwashed into giving away their hard-earned money under false pretenses. As a Money & Finance Minister, I give my services for free. I give away my book for free. I accept no donations or free dinners, etc. in exchange for my services. My ministry is an expense to me - I pay for it all out of funds that God has already blessed me with. I don't make a penny whether one tithes or doesn't tithe.

What is the agenda of those who teach tithing is for today? For many, it's money in their pocket. They depend on the money being given to the church in order for them to get their salary, or for funds to pay for all the different programs, missions, etc. their organization participates in.

The history of tithing in the Christian Church is all one needs to study to find the truth as to why this man-made doctrine started.

No sir. Never have and never will. I was just calling your attention TO what the Bible says and not what you are saying. You used a verse as a basis for your opinion and it simply is not there.

You said.........." In this case, Abram was RECOVERING goods belonging to the King of Sodom."

I was simply showing that there was more to it than just what you stated. Abraham brought back more than what was taken from the King of Sodom.

I have not advocated a 10% tithe as you have wrongly stated but in fact have said that we can and should give MORE than that as the New Test. does not fix an amount.

Why did Abraham give 10% when he could have given 7 or 11 or 50%. It was his choice to do so as there was no Law which said 10%....correct??? Is that not exactly what Paul said in 2 Corth. 9:6-7.???

Personally I do not care one bit what anyone gives. I know what I give to my church for its ministry and I am pleased with its efforts in outreach and helping those people it can. It gives regularly to the cooperative program for missionaries. IF more people tithed instead of giving what they wanted to give as a minimum, the churches all over this land could do a lot more in helping the poor, sick and suffering.

I appreciate the work in posting such a long list of people, but in all honest I am not impressed by what others think, especially when one of the groups is the Jehovah's Witnesses cult. That pretty much messes up your whole effort IMO.

I hope you have read Dr. Graham's book in which he states that according to SBC records, about 22% of church members give the tithe (10%).

Can you imagine what the church could do if it had all of its members tithing?????

Last edited:
I have not advocated a 10% tithe as you have wrongly stated but in fact have said that we can and should give MORE than that as the New Test. does not fix an amount.

Why did Abraham give 10% when he could have given 7 or 11 or 50%. It was his choice to do so as there was no Law which said 10%....correct??? Is that not exactly what Paul said in 2 Corth. 9:6-7.???

I hope you have read Dr. Graham's book in which he states that according to SBC records, about 22% of church members give the tithe (10%).

Can you imagine what the church could do if it had all of its members tithing?????

The NT does not advocate giving more than a tenth. Under the OT law, there was no set amount for giving. The Biblical tithe was not giving to begin with. And since wage earners did not tithe, their giving started at zero. It is not correct to say that giving began at 10% under the OT.

Again, I don't know, and you don't know why Abram gave the tenth. But Biblical historians agree that it was either custom or law of the land during the days of Abram to give a tenth of war spoils to the king. I either accept what Biblical historians say, OR I have to accept that we just don't know why.

No one, absolutely no one pays the Biblical tithe today. Giving a tenth of one's income to the church in no way even resembles the Biblical tithe. It is dishonest if not a scam to relate the two.

Suppose all the money used for church buildings were used to feed the poor? Can you justify spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a building when people are starving to death?

The NT teaches giving to the needy, not giving to organizations for buildings, salaries, etc.

Quite a bit about this "argument" that escapes me.
First off, if 22% are giving 10% of their income to the church (as stated) then there are people giving what would be called a "Biblical tithe".
And secondly, what is it to you what others do with their own money?
You say that your intent is to "teach the truth", then why hammer on such a monumentally trivial issue?
I mean really! Who cares? It has all the value of griping about Biblical bans on mixing meat with mayonnaise!

If you worry about the starving, then go feed them.
My church already spends a lot of time, money, and effort feeding the homeless.
That is one of the reasons I give the church money, so the church can be charitable
and I don't personally have to be spooning soup to the poor (which I frankly don't have time for because
I work for a living so I have money for me and the church).

Quite a bit about this "argument" that escapes me.
First off, if 22% are giving 10% of their income to the church (as stated) then there are people giving what would be called a "Biblical tithe".
And secondly, what is it to you what others do with their own money?
You say that your intent is to "teach the truth", then why hammer on such a monumentally trivial issue?
I mean really! Who cares? It has all the value of griping about Biblical bans on mixing meat with mayonnaise!

If you worry about the starving, then go feed them.

You obviously don't know what a Biblical tithe is. A Biblical tithe is defined in Leviticus 27:30-33, a tenth of crops and animals from God's increase of the seed, not money, and not from man's income.

Being a Money & Finance Minister, I deal with people all the time that have been taught they will be cursed if they don't give a tenth of their income to the church. Many who can't afford to give a tenth of their income to the church feel guilty since the pastor quotes from Malachi 3, robbing God.

If you don't care that church goers are being lied to, that's entirely up to you. It matters to me. Maybe your church leaders don't lie to you, but many do.

100% of my giving goes directly to those in need, not to any organization that would use much of the gift for administrative purposes.

I find it interesting that 'Christians' forget that the New Testament is an extension/ renewal/ further expansion of the Old Testament. We 'forget' that we are 'grafted in' as gentiles (goyim) to the Root which is Christ.

It was for our sake that that Jesus Christ came to rebuke the hypocritical church of the time-only to find ourselves in the same boat as the Pharisees and Sadducees some 2000 years later...

Jesus expanded our learning of the old law and why it was necessary-not to 'abolish' the law.

Tithing is just ONE form of giving-and GIVING IS the essence of the Bible. Go ahead-try to out give God.

Anyone here follow any of the three tithing laws commanded by God in the OT?

THE FIRST TITHE
Leviticus 27:30-33 defines this tithe as a tenth of crops and animals in herds and flocks.
Numbers 18 gives the ordinances, or instructions, for this tithe, and commands this tithe be taken to the Levites.
Purpose of this tithe: to support the Levitical Priesthood.

SECOND TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:22-27: aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take to the yearly feasts.
Purpose of this tithe: “that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always”

THIRD TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:28-29: aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.
Purpose of this tithe: to feed the poor.

(SBC LIFEWAY) FACTS AND TRENDS MAGAZINE, Mar/Apr 2006; pg 14-19, for complete article.

If one out of five (20%) of SBC pastors and regular church members freely admit that they disagree with the tithing doctrine, then 20% should be enough of a REASON to re-study the doctrine.

This does not prove that they are against supporting the church! It merely proves that they are against supporting it using the Old Covenant principles of tithing.

Baptists flourished for over 300 years without teaching tithing. Perhaps they should restore their old paths of evangelism and Training Union instead of restoring the Mosaic Law.

"You obviously don't know what a Biblical tithe is. A Biblical tithe is defined in Leviticus 27:30-33, a tenth of crops and animals from God's increase of the seed, not money, and not from man's income."
That was rude and inaccurate.

You obviously don't know what income is. In an agrarian society, such as ancient Palestine, hard currency was a rare commodity, a person's income WAS crops, seeds, and animals. You are trying to create a false dichotomy between currency and goods.

"You obviously don't know what a Biblical tithe is. A Biblical tithe is defined in Leviticus 27:30-33, a tenth of crops and animals from God's increase of the seed, not money, and not from man's income."
That was rude and inaccurate.

You obviously don't know what income is. In an agrarian society, such as ancient Palestine, hard currency was a rare commodity, a person's income WAS crops, seeds, and animals. You are trying to create a false dichotomy between currency and goods.

I can see you have no accounting background. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting and can see you don't know much about currency during Biblical times.

Read Deut. 14:22-27 - the second tithe. See where it states if you have too far to travel with your crops/animals, exchange them for MONEY, put the MONEY in your hand, take the MONEY to the place of the festival, and BUY BACK the food and drink. That proves they had markets to buy and sell their goods.

According to the International Bible Encyclopedia, the days of mere bartering ended before the days of Abraham.

THE PURCHASE OF LAND WITH MONEY BY ABRAHAM - Genesis 23:15-16

THE PURCHASE OF LAND WITH MONEY BY JACOB - Genesis 33:19

JOSEPH WAS SOLD TO THE ISHMEELITES FOR MONEY - Genesis 37:28

A MONEY OFFERING TO BE USED FOR THE SERVICE OF THE TABERNACLE - Exodus 30:14-16,

USING SHEKEL OF SILVER TO VALUE A RAM - Leviticus 5:15

THE FOLLOWING VERSES REFER TO WAGES: Genesis 29:15, Genesis 30:28, Genesis 31:7-8, Genesis 31:41, Exodus 2:9, Leviticus 19:13, Malachi 3:5, etc.

While the tithe came from crops and animals, the Temple Tax (tribute in KJV) had to be MONEY.

This nonsense that they didn't use money in those days is not Biblical.

I'll say it again since some just aren't getting it:

When God gave the Israelites the promised land, He RESERVED, for Himself, a tenth of the crops and every tenth animal (Leviticus 27:30, 32). They NEVER did belong to the Israelites. In other words, the tithe was from God's increase of FOOD, not from man's income. It was a way to distribute FOOD to the Levites and priests who did NOT inherit any land.

No one, not even the farmers, tithed from their income.

The farmers made their income by SELLING and/or barter-exchanging their crops and animals but did NOT tithe on that income.

Matthew 23:

3 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

The 'Tithe' was the method to support the 'Church' so the men of God could tend to the poor, widows, fatherless, sick, etc...The 'first part' is HOLY unto God. It is our privilege to give to God FIRST and our obligation. If you want to give more than 'one tenth' then may God multiply your blessings.

The answer is between Genesis 1:1 and Revelation 22:21

I was born and live in what is known as the Agricultural Capital of the World. I'd like to see anyone try to convince the farmers here that their crops and animals are their income.

The tithe was NEVER the first of anything.

Nehemiah 10:37-38 (KJV)
37And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.
38And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.

In Nehemiah 10:37 we learn that the firstfruits were taken to the temple for the priests, and the tithes were taken to the Levites who lived in the Levitical cities. Therefore, we see that firstfruits have nothing to do with the tithe.

In Nehemiah 10:38 we learn that the Levites would take a tithe of the tithe to the Temple. It is this tithe, the tithe from the Levites, that went to the storehouse, not the tithe from the people. This is important to remember when we study Malachi 3:10.

OLD TESTAMENT
Proverbs 3:9 (KJV) “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”

NEW TESTAMENT
2 Timothy 2:6 (KJV) “The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.”

1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV) “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

Using the above principles, the New Testament makes it clear that we are to use the FIRST of our income to take care of ourselves and our family. We are talking about needs, here, not just anything we want. Then we should give generously from what is left.

"I'll say it again since some just aren't getting it:"
We're getting IT just fine. You are getting all caught up in trivial distinctions that have no basis in reality.
If you trying to convince us of your superior education and knowledge, well we'll call that a fail, the arrogance gets in the way.
If your intent, as you claim, was to warn others of corruption in the church, again a fail, harping on tithing makes the intended message unrecognizable.

Your time and effort could be better spent on something other than insulting other members who disagree with your take on this subject.

With the number of people who read (but don't participate in the dialong) these blogs that contact me, thanking me for showing them the relevant scriptures, I'd say my time is very well spent. It's not "my take" or "your take" that metters. God's Word, AS IT IS WRITTEN, matters. You won't find, anywhere in the scriptures, where God ever commanded a tithe of money or from anyone's income. It's as plain as can be in the scriptures. That's why, even Roger Williams, founder of the Baptist Church in the US, said the Baptist Church would NEVER teach tithing. My how corrupt modern-day religion has become!

Yeah we, don't give enough,

Mark 12
41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. 42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. 43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: 44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

Luke 21:
And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury. 2 And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. 3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all: 4 For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.

And your right, we shouldn't 'tithe' our income.

We should give just give it all up and not worry about an income at all:

Mark 12:
7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, 10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

2 Kings:
2 And Jehoash did that which was right in the sight of the Lord all his days wherein Jehoiada the priest instructed him...

...Hmmmm....

4 And Jehoash said to the priests, All the money of the dedicated things that is brought into the house of the Lord, even the money of every one that passeth the account, the money that every man is set at, and all the money that cometh into any man's heart to bring into the house of the Lord,...

9 But Jehoiada the priest took a chest, and bored a hole in the lid of it, and set it beside the altar, on the right side as one cometh into the house of the Lord: and the priests that kept the door put therein all the money that was brought into the house of the Lord.

Yeah not Biblical at all.

It's not a commandment-it's about the condition of the heart towards doing the Lord's work supporting the Church. Since we need to make it 'relevant'; most people that don't have animals and crops to give-have money, AKA: income.

Back