Tithe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think maybe the struggle with tithe may be exclusive to the Western world. I'm not casting aspersions here. The West has done much for developing nations - more than any others have. But in a culture where money is the center of national importance, it's probably harder to let go of it. It don't blame America for being taught 'a penny saved is a penny earned', it's a good principal. But if you get the chance to visit a place like Egypt or Sudan or El Salvlador, you'll see smiles in the absence of money. It think that really says something. It's like when you visit a children's hospital...why is it that the biggest smiles come from children who are dying? Maybe they see something money can't buy.

I'd say that's unwise. I believe we have a moral obligation to keep our churches up and running. Also, we are told to be generous. I would have no problem giving to a good church and if I went there I would definitely give.

Ofcourse I wont stop Hunting. I am just marvelling at how many factors are out there to encourage me to stop...

1Ti 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

You just view the world from a COMPLETELY different angle from me. And that's ok, we are different.

For me, my biggest dream is to (my future husband and I) partner together in business so that we can
give that kid who's parents cant afford a heart transplant a chance.

The fact is, if the word of God is going to be preached, money is (unfortunately or fortunately - which
ever way you look at it) money is the oil that will keep the engine of ministry pumping.

how else do missionaries board a plane, pay for their visas, get vaccinations, transport bibles, stock up
on food supplies?

Some have to be in the background, making this money so that His people can go?

Where does the greed that drowns men to perdition come into this Mitspa?

I just don't get it - first you are not free to give your own money and now when others are in business
to enhance the kingdom it comes across as greed? Help me understand.

Whoa!!!! I was always taught to tithe. I can't believe it. Dang. I have to add this to my list of topics to study....
Look sis, trust the NEW Testament (which is written to us)..This is very simple, "let each person give as they purpose in their own heart" if that is a figure that relates to 10%? So be it..good! If its 5% and you give with gladness..even better! If some weeks you give your tax refund because you feel that's what God wants you to do..great! If you help the needy as THE LORD and Paul taught us to do...you are blessed! It took Certain Jews along time to understand they had been set free from the Old Testament law, their CONSCIENCE would not allow them to walk in liberty. I say keep your conscience clear before the Lord at all times, if you have been taught the error? study, pray , believe the New Testament! "You shall know the TRUTH and the TRUTH shall set you free" When Jesus spoke these words..everybody knew the Law (and the tithe) what they didn't know was liberty and grace!

You just view the world from a COMPLETELY different angle from me. And that's ok, we are different.

For me, my biggest dream is to (my future husband and I) partner together in business so that we can
give that kid who's parents cant afford a heart transplant a chance.

The fact is, if the word of God is going to be preached, money is (unfortunately or fortunately - which
ever way you look at it) money is the oil that will keep the engine of ministry pumping.

how else do missionaries board a plane, pay for their visas, get vaccinations, transport bibles, stock up
on food supplies?

Some have to be in the background, making this money so that His people can go?

Where does the greed that drowns men to perdition come into this Mitspa?

I just don't get it - first you are not free to give your own money and now when others are in business
to enhance the kingdom it comes across as greed? Help me understand.
The Mormons can make this same argument.. The gospel that sets US FREE from the law and religious bondage is the issue, those who teach bondage to promote bondage are not walking in the truth.

The Mormons can make this same argument.. The gospel that sets US FREE from the law and religious bondage is the issue, those who teach bondage to promote bondage are not walking in the truth.
Think about this..are these religious groups really seeking to bring people to Christ and for Him to rule the hearts of all men, or are they trying to establish their own religious rule and power over others? "Give me your tithe so I can go and bring more people into bondage to the tithe and false authority of mans religion"...:rolleyes: This is NOT the gospel Paul taught and preached!

I am not one of those groups Mitspa.

All I know is the church you sit in, needs its water, internet, admin bills paid.

how else without money. without tithe.
Does "give" have to mean "tithe" according to the law? Of course not, as has already been explained in evident words! And we are not called to give to build a religious system, but to support the gospel that sets us free from the law and religious bondage.

Whoa!!!! I was always taught to tithe. I can't believe it. Dang. I have to add this to my list of topics to study....
That's why I'm fearful of church. Honestly, I want to be very familiar with the Bible before I try settling down with a church. That way I'm not told something that isn't accurate.

I think maybe the struggle with tithe may be exclusive to the Western world. I'm not casting aspersions here. The West has done much for developing nations - more than any others have. But in a culture where money is the center of national importance, it's probably harder to let go of it. It don't blame America for being taught 'a penny saved is a penny earned', it's a good principal. But if you get the chance to visit a place like Egypt or Sudan or El Salvlador, you'll see smiles in the absence of money. It think that really says something. It's like when you visit a children's hospital...why is it that the biggest smiles come from children who are dying? Maybe they see something money can't buy.
That's assuming that we are required to tithe. If we assume something going into reading the Bible we generally find it, which is not how I believe we should be reading. That being said, I agree that America's center is money. We are a greedy country full of greedy people.

And welcome to the forum!

That's why I'm fearful of church. Honestly, I want to be very familiar with the Bible before I try settling down with a church. That way I'm not told something that isn't accurate.

Waiting to become knowledgeable in the word is not a prerequisite to belonging to the local church. We are not to neglect the local church! People are saved every day and obey God by getting into a bible believing church knowing nothing, and God blesses them by providing godly teachers there for their spiritual development. Sure, we are supposed to study on our own also, but being a part of a good local church brings us much grounding in the word.

We are supposed to be like Bereans, and search out the word to discover for ourselves if what we are being taught is the truth.

Neglecting it because of fear is just what the devil's ordered. How do you know that what you are self-teaching is accurate?

Hey, brother Hunt. I understand, but I don't think any good will come from not going to church. Try and find a church of bible believers who, live by what they teach and who are kind and loving.

God bless!

Waiting to become knowledgeable in the word is not a prerequisite to belonging to the local church. We are not to neglect the local church! People are saved every day and obey God by getting into a bible believing church knowing nothing, and God blesses them by providing godly teachers there for their spiritual development. Sure, we are supposed to study on our own also, but being a part of a good local church brings us much grounding in the word.

We are supposed to be like Bereans, and search out the word to discover for ourselves if what we are being taught is the truth.

Neglecting it because of fear is just what the devil's ordered. How do you know that what you are self-teaching is accurate?
How do you know a Bible believing church from a lying one? By knowing the Bible. I'm trying churches until I find one I like but I'm not giving money to a church led by liars.

How do you know a Bible believing church from a lying one? By knowing the Bible. I'm trying churches until I find one I like but I'm not giving money to a church led by liars.

When a church preaches the truth of the word continuously, and the rest of its functioning is God-honouring and fruitful, then you can be sure it is a good church. If you are earnest in asking God to lead you to a good church of His choice, and wait for His lead---not trying out church after church as you would a pair of shoes---He is not going to steer you to anything but one He is pleased with. After all, He desires to equip you and he uses people He gifts to do that. He wants us to be obedient to Him by being part of the local fellowship of believers, as all Christians since the beginning do.

I agree with all so far on church attendance,

there is no perfect church.

in some churches you will never fit in, everyone has their cliques
in some churches people overdress you wonder if its a fashion show, its all about cars and who owns what in town,
in some churches they don't worship long enough, or they hate drums etc.

bottom line, just like how you know which problems you can put up with in a long term relationship/marriage
its the same for church. no marriage is perfect but you choose your battles wisely and stick to it :)

Acid Test for a good church:

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
(Apostles Doctrine is key)

John 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
(Jesus prayed for those the believe on him through the Apostles Teaching)

2 Corinthians 11:14-15 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
(Caution that Satan has Ministers of Light)

Galatians 1:8-9 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
(If a man preaches anything but what the apostles did, he is accursed)

Matthew 16:18-19 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
(Peter had the keys to free)

Now, here is the True Bible Test:

What did Peter preach, when telling people how to be saved?

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Now, when shopping for a church or even attending one, there is a clear prerequisite to being a good church.

God Speed

Maybe that's part of the problem. You shouldn't be going to church to be 'told' anything. You should be going to hear and test what you've heard with a spirit of humility and honesty. You should also go to share what you've learned. Real church is a dialog not a monologue. Also, you'll die before getting 'very familiar' with the Bible. You may even become familiar with a passage long before you actually know what it's really saying. Thats the beauty of its design. It's also why God intended his words to be passed down orally. Talking about his words promotes relationship with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back