1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Till death us do part??

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Klang, Aug 17, 2016.

1. I never married, but there's a line that puzzles me in the Church of England's marriage vows which have been spoken by millions of couples over the years, namely "till death us do part".
    Surely death can never really part a Christian man and wife, because they'll be united again in the afterlife won't they?
    What do other CF members think?

The vows-
    ‘I, (name), take you, (name)

to be my wife/husband,
    to have and to hold
    from this day forward;
    for better, for worse,
    for richer, for poorer,
    in sickness and in health,
    to love and to cherish,
    till death us do part,
    according to God’s holy law.
    In the presence of God I make this vow.’
  2. There is no marriage in heaven as it is told in Matthew 22:30, Marriage is only for here on the earth.
    2404, Melizza, loriT and 1 other person say Amen and like this.
  3. Yes, but my point is that surely they'll be together in heaven in new spiritual bodies "as the angels", and that death has never parted them?

4. It is another way of saying.
    No matter what we face or go through we will love each other and face it together.

It's a bonding where the two become one and let nothing separate the two other then death.

It's talking about the here and now while we are in these earth suits.
    loriT likes this.
  5. I think it means - death parting the physical unification of a man and woman.
    As Fish Catcher Jim has said, the man and woman will be facing difficult times and hardships together until the physician body has run its course.
    loriT and Melizza say Amen and like this.
  6. Dear Fish Catcher Jim,

I like you alot and have always enjoyed your posts. Please, I don't mean to be controversial here.
    While reconciliation after adultery is preferable, it doesn't always happen. Sometimes the wife is
    abused and she may not be reconciled to her husband. Alcoholics can destroy marriages. There
    seems to be more than one reason for divorce besides marital unfaithfulness.

A question I have is should remarriage be between only the original spouses if they agree to it?

I understand the ideal arrangement. What about the less than ideal situations?
    Melizza and Fish Catcher Jim say Amen and like this.
  7. My blessed friend @Penion ,
    You bring up a very valid question in which I do so agree with you, however it is not always the wife who suffers or is abused. Sometimes the woman can drag a man through hell on earth and leave him feeling as if he has been gutted and left out in the field.
    Yes been there done that route.

The best possible advice one could get is to walk in love and forgiveness and trust God no matter what He directs you to do even if every one says your a fool for doing them. Ha ha ha, but look how God turned it all around for me in the end and I got my boat back and was able to sell it to make payments on my newest one at the time. :)

OK back to your question , sometimes the two can be reconciled but sometimes it just Not going to happen for many reasons.

One thing to remember is God still loves them both. He may not like their actions but loves them Both and it is vital that we walk in the same way.

The other thing is God can bring you a new spouse But it will be in His time and He does not drop another in your lap right then. He will first do a good work in you and then He may bring you another.

My O.P was simply replying to what till death do you apart was originally meant to mean.

Blessings my old friend and it is nice writing with you once again. No sir I did not just call you old. ;)
    Melizza and Cturtle say Amen and like this.
  8. I cannot find 'until death do us part' in scripture. What I do find in scripture is that we are to be 100% committed to our spouse. So the context for me is just that. I do like the wording though, it gets right to the point.

Scripture says we will recognize each other in heaven and stay the human race. So I would imagine we still remain close. I believe we will need to get to know and befriend others in heaven. I also believe we will still not get on with some :). Human race = spirit and temporal flesh = free will = issues.
  9. Hi Kj,
    I have to disagree with you here.
    There will be no flesh in heaven. We will walk in Love or be sitting in school until we get it. Lol

Seriously though, we will not be the same as we are here. We will still look somewhat the same but no where the same. There will be no tempter.

10. I believe we need to try and understand the logic of Jesus behind His statements. As well as Paul's.

People wanting out of marriage is not a 21 century issue. Jesus and Paul were fully aware of ''all'' the possible complications / issues that would arise when they made their statements.

I am up for a proper discussion on this if you want to start another thread. A Christian must not divorce, full-stop. To do so is to go against scripture / God's will.
  11. Matthew 19: 9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
  12. We had this discussion a while back with Euphemia, you don't recall? ;)

Let's use some rational thought here. Do we ever lose our free will? Yes or No? The answer is a resounding, no. God is good, He will never force us to serve Him albeit we are completely in the spirit and living with Him.

Humans do not become angels in heaven. Humans do no become anything other then humans. We may reign with Jesus but we will still be humans. Humans are not just flesh / potential descendants of apes that roam the earth. Humans are creations beneath the angels and we will forever be exactly that.

A creation cannot ask to be something other then what it is. Fortunately for us, being human is quite 'cool'.
  13. That verse is a fine stand alone verse, but when read with other scripture we better grasp the context. What is being said here is not evidence of the Christian leaving / divorcing. Adultery is evidence of the guilty party leaving / divorcing. Paul is clear that we stick at it, but if they leave us we let them go.

We see a type of this in 1 Cor 7:12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord) If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her.

Crystal clear in 1 Cor 7:15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. (The Christian may not leave).

The only verses we really need on marriage though imho is 1 Cor 7:10-11. It makes it clear that if there is extreme abuse or anything other then adultery, the two must temporarily separate and not re-marry.

1 Cor 7:10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband.11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.
  14. 2Corinthians5:8
    We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Human being.......human Man.....is spirit in a earth suit our body.
    A diver can't dive 1000 ft without a special suit.

A astronaut can not live with out a space suit.

It is the same for us. We can not stay on this planet with out our earth suit which once removed we must leave.

Yes we will get a New body like Jesus but He had no blood in his veins but the glory of God.

There is no sin in Heaven or sickness or hate etc so how can their be flesh or not getting along with others. The Glory of God is all around you and you think free will to be fleshly humans will be present......Impossible.

Blessings my friend.
    Melizza likes this.
  15. You mix unsaved spouses with cheating saved spouses here brother. Not the same thing. Any way we should get back to the op before we both get into trouble....what ya think?
  16. Who says we will all get on and be perfect in heaven :)?

Perfect in God's eyes does not mean 'perfect'. Sanctified does not equate to us being 'perfect'.

- I imagine the devil thought about God's throne many times. It was only when he crossed a line that he was removed.
    - As Christians we are already new creations. We have entered eternal life now. We will get resurrected bodies, but it will be the same spirit / heart that jumps in the upgrade.
    - We are eternally sanctified.
    - We never ever lose free will.
    - Angels can also rebel at any time. We cannot say they won't. We can only say it is highly unlikely.
  17. Any oath or vow that you take before God is of a sacred matter if it truly comes from the heart.

Marriage vows are declaration before God and also with God in the fact that you have 'vowed' to be with your husband or wife until death parts you both - that is when the vow may be pardoned and you will no longer be married or united as One.
  18. I have only quoted and stated scripture.

This is a sensitive and very important topic. We can't get it wrong. We both need to quote scripture and not anything else.

If you are adamant I am wrong lets discuss it properly in a new thread.