Three Random Facts

Maine coon cats are said to be really big cats. Is that the case with yours????
Females are usually smaller; but yes all are large. She is about medium sized among the medium sized. We had a male years ago who was really large. He even could fetch like a dog does. They are also very laid back whether large or not so large. :)

Females are usually smaller; but yes all are large. She is about medium sized among the medium sized. We had a male years ago who was really large. He even could fetch like a dog does. They are also very laid back whether large or not so large. :)

Good to know.

Have you ever had a cat that wasn't "laid back".

You are correct. There are many, many churches where friendliness is forgotten. I for one do not believe that is a result of conservatism or legalism. It is however IMO a direct reflection of the Pastor of that church. If he does not expect and demand the members be friendly and respectful, they will not be.

Sometimes it is due to the pastor's failure to promote being friendly or just plain indifference; but then, on the other hand, it can be a new pastor comes who is friendly and wants to promote a friendly atmosphere and is hindered by those who don't want a friendly atmosphere where visitors don't feel invisible and people don't just stick to their friends. In a church where old timers (whether young or old in age) want things to stay status quo, where a club-like atmosphere prevails, and the status is to find comfort in doing it as it has always been done. But, God gives grace and with courage and patience such a pastor can make a difference as used by the Holy Spirit. Not easy. But, I have seen it happen! Thanks be to God and the power of the Holy Spirit.

Sometimes it is due to the pastor's failure to promote being friendly or just plain indifference; but then, on the other hand, it can be a new pastor comes who is friendly and wants to promote a friendly atmosphere and is hindered by those who don't want a friendly atmosphere where visitors don't feel invisible and people don't just stick to their friends. In a church where old timers (whether young or old in age) want things to stay status quo, where a club-like atmosphere prevails, and the status is to find comfort in doing it as it has always been done. But, God gives grace and with courage and patience such a pastor can make a difference as used by the Holy Spirit. Not easy. But, I have seen it happen! Thanks be to God and the power of the Holy Spirit.

This was my experience. I was the new pastor. In the end, my wife and I started a new evening service in our home and, a few months later, when we had enough 'new blood' we invited the new people to the morning service.

Instead of rejoicing, the old crowd felt threatened, complained to our superiors and tried to get rid of me.

I moved to a new post 18 months later and a couple of years later that church closed (after spitting out 2 more pastors).

Good to know there's another rocker on here. (y) Music, for me depends on my mood and what I'm doing. General listening (driving, etc), I listen to Christian music like Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Big Daddy Weave, etc... Quite time/worship: Don Francisco. I have a home gym and generally listen to 80's rock while working out... but sometime listen to worship music while sweating it out. Yes, you can worship the Lord and pump iron at the same time. :cool:

Hey Romans_8;

My wife and I enjoy listening to Darlene Zschech's Revealing Jesus CD. I believe she and her family reside in Queensland. Is she close to your part of Western Australia? The first time I heard her was in the 90s when we played Shout To The Lord during praise and worship. I also enjoy listening to worship while working out and sweating. This helps keep my sugar level down. I don't really love working out but the benefit is there. The music helps me feel I'm completing my workout sooner. lol!

God bless this topic Three Random Facts!

You are correct. There are many, many churches where friendliness is forgotten. I for one do not believe that is a result of conservatism or legalism. It is however IMO a direct reflection of the Pastor of that church. If he does not expect and demand the members be friendly and respectful, they will not be.

The attitude you described is rampant and it begins at the top. IF the pastor is not compassionate and people friendly and motivated by the Holy Spirit, the church will digress into a shell and will in fact reject any change whether it be good or bad.

A real fact to consider in elderly people is that most of them know what they like and even if what they know is wrong, they will stick with it.

Example.......Everyone knows that there is a "Bigfoot" roaming through the woods. They know it because they saw it on TV or their grandfather told them so it most be a fact.
The fact is however that not one single skeleton has ever been found of a creature such as a Bigfoot. Not One!
So, are they buried 10 feet deep??? Who then dug the grave???
Do they eat the bones of their dead???

Another is "ghosts". People will not accept the Biblical teaching that there is no such thing as ghosts.

You can quote 2 Corth. 5:8.................
“We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord”:
and Phillipians 1:23....... “I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far” all you want but one who believes he saw a ghost will not be changed.
You see, he likes what he know even if what he knows is wrong.

Another thought is that Change is neither good or bad.........it is however inevitable.

Amen on the truth about attitude. Back when my wife and I were Christian babes, we didn't know if we could consistently go to church and sit in the pew every Sunday. It was this very church that I will always remember our first time and the first person who greeted us in love and friendliness was my first impression of a Christian church family. To me this elderly brother represented the church. He was an usher and his warmth was the reason we came back. I describe that first visit as feeling welcomed and safe. Later we started going to Bible studies and our pastor began to help us grow, slowly but surely, learning about the greatest commandment to one another. Today, I can look back today and say it was the LOVE of the great commandment that is CONTAGIOUS!

We were blessed that our elderly brother in this church ministered the LOVE of Christ to us. The only flaw I remember was some elderly didn't like drums in the church. lol! The pastor became one of my closest friends and today we stay in touch.

Point I'm making, Major, if we hadn't received the friendliness (cousin of LOVE) in our first visit from this church family, chances are we may have gotten turned off and not returned, perhaps giving up on Christian fellowship altogether.

Years went by and will confess my wife and I did experience attitudes, division and splits that didn't glorify the Lord's church. I'm forever thankful to God for that first visit.

God bless you!

Point I'm making, Major, if we hadn't received the friendliness (cousin of LOVE) in our first visit from this church family, chances are we may have gotten turned off and not returned, perhaps giving up on Christian fellowship altogether.

Years went by and will confess my wife and I did experience attitudes, division and splits that didn't glorify the Lord's church. I'm forever thankful to God for that first visit.

God bless you!

How wonderful! It touches me that you remember and know how meaningful the moment really was. An encounter which meant so much.
God surely also blessed that elderly gentleman for reaching out with friendliness to you.

And, yes, that first impression is so important!

These last few years we were on the greeters' team(which was called the first impressions team). Our church then was held in a movie theater auditorium in a large shopping mall as it was an outreach campus of a larger congregation. Many who usually didn't go to churches held in church buildings came to the church in the mall. My husband and I both opened the mall doors for everyone as they came in the entrance where we were stationed and the other greeters did the same at another door as well. Many families came through our doors on Sunday. We didn't give out bulletins as ushers did that in the door leading into the auditorium so our main purpose was to be friendly. And they kept coming back too!

Amen on the truth about attitude. Back when my wife and I were Christian babes, we didn't know if we could consistently go to church and sit in the pew every Sunday. It was this very church that I will always remember our first time and the first person who greeted us in love and friendliness was my first impression of a Christian church family. To me this elderly brother represented the church. He was an usher and his warmth was the reason we came back. I describe that first visit as feeling welcomed and safe. Later we started going to Bible studies and our pastor began to help us grow, slowly but surely, learning about the greatest commandment to one another. Today, I can look back today and say it was the LOVE of the great commandment that is CONTAGIOUS!

We were blessed that our elderly brother in this church ministered the LOVE of Christ to us. The only flaw I remember was some elderly didn't like drums in the church. lol! The pastor became one of my closest friends and today we stay in touch.

God bless you!

THat is a wonderful testimony and I am very glad you had a blessed experience.

First impressions are very important. A warm smile and firm handshake opens the door to hour hearts. IF.....IF we feel welcome we will be welcome.

I have been to and spoken in many churches over the years. Some of the times, the pastor would ask me what was wrong with his church and why did no one want to attend.
Most of the time the answer was obvious. The atmosphere was so cold that you could hang meat in the auditorium and the church had become a place for the frozen chosen.

Some of the time I had to look the pastor in the eye and tell him that the way to melt the hearts of the frozen was to set them on fire from on high. If the pastor is excited and show it and demands it will happen.

How wonderful! It touches me that you remember and know how meaningful the moment really was. An encounter which meant so much.
God surely also blessed that elderly gentleman for reaching out with friendliness to you.

And, yes, that first impression is so important!

These last few years we were on the greeters' team(which was called the first impressions team). Our church then was held in a movie theater auditorium in a large shopping mall as it was an outreach campus of a larger congregation. Many who usually didn't go to churches held in church buildings came to the church in the mall. My husband and I both opened the mall doors for everyone as they came in the entrance where we were stationed and the other greeters did the same at another door as well. Many families came through our doors on Sunday. We didn't give out bulletins as ushers did that in the door leading into the auditorium so our main purpose was to be friendly. And they kept coming back too!

"Church in the Mall".........Lakeland Fl.?????

This was my experience. I was the new pastor. In the end, my wife and I started a new evening service in our home and, a few months later, when we had enough 'new blood' we invited the new people to the morning service.

Instead of rejoicing, the old crowd felt threatened, complained to our superiors and tried to get rid of me.

I moved to a new post 18 months later and a couple of years later that church closed (after spitting out 2 more pastors).

Yes........but you were true to the calling of the Holy Spirit and in the end it will be you would will be rewarded by the Lord Jesus at the Judgment Seat of Christ and He will say to you........."Well done my good and faithful servant"!!!!

Yes, years ago.

Funny, true story. Just yesterday my wife and I visited her brother in a re-had center. The center has several cats that live inside the facility and they go around when ever they want to the patients rooms. It is said that it is a way of helping the healing of the inviduals and I believe that to be the case.

Anyway, as we went into the lobby, about 4 or 5 others with us, there was a large "Calico" cat on her back asleep in one of the chairs. We were talking and getting acquainted for about 10 minutes or so and wouldn't you know that that cat never moved. She laid there asleep and allowed the world to pass her by. Talk about "Laid back".

Funny, true story. Just yesterday my wife and I visited her brother in a re-had center. The center has several cats that live inside the facility and they go around when ever they want to the patients rooms. It is said that it is a way of helping the healing of the inviduals and I believe that to be the case.

Anyway, as we went into the lobby, about 4 or 5 others with us, there was a large "Calico" cat on her back asleep in one of the chairs. We were talking and getting acquainted for about 10 minutes or so and wouldn't you know that that cat never moved. She laid there asleep and allowed the world to pass her by. Talk about "Laid back".

My Shelly is a bit too sociable to do that; but she is known to sleep through much here. :D I think the big "Calico" you saw in the re-hab place was grabbing her zzzzzzz time when she could.

Hey Romans_8;

My wife and I enjoy listening to Darlene Zschech's Revealing Jesus CD. I believe she and her family reside in Queensland. Is she close to your part of Western Australia? The first time I heard her was in the 90s when we played Shout To The Lord during praise and worship. I also enjoy listening to worship while working out and sweating. This helps keep my sugar level down. I don't really love working out but the benefit is there. The music helps me feel I'm completing my workout sooner. lol!

God bless this topic Three Random Facts!
I know of Darlene Zschech's music (Hill Song) but have never seen or heard her in person. No, Queensland isn't close :) I live in the South Western corner of Western Australia. Brisbane, QLD is 4400km from where I live. That is approximately the same distance as Los Angeles, California to New York City. :eek:

Even if she came to Perth in Western Australia, that is still a 3.5 hour drive from where I live. :(

Fun fact. Did you know that Perth is the most isolated 'capital city' in the world?

I know of Darlene Zschech's music (Hill Song) but have never seen or heard her in person. No, Queensland isn't close :) I live in the South Western corner of Western Australia. Brisbane, QLD is 4400km from where I live. That is approximately the same distance as Los Angeles, California to New York City. :eek:

Even if she came to Perth in Western Australia, that is still a 3.5 hour drive from where I live. :(

Fun fact. Did you know that Perth is the most isolated 'capital city' in the world?

Could that be because Australia is one of the most isolated nations in the world????

Could that be because Australia is one of the most isolated nations in the world????

That's partly it, however cities like Brisbane (QLD), Sydney (NSW), Melbourne (VIC) and even Adelaide (South Australia) are relatively 'close' to each other. Perth, on the other hand is apparently further away from the next closest State Capital than any other State Capital in the World. :eek:

3 random facts:

1. a couple of months ago, the Lord told me to start singing our daily Psalms Chapter instead of reading it, because Psalms is a song book. Our family devotion time rocketed into the Presence and Peace of God.

2. I used to be a very judgmental person due to hyper-perfectionism. Until one day God told me to cut it out. He said everyone (in my world) is doing the best they know. God told me to teach them, so they know more, and can do better. He also told me to treat everyone like they are my beloved family. I find I get much better results when I treat everyone very special and beloved.

3. I recently had a miracle this Sunday night. I fell seriously ill Friday morning and was sent home from work. I ended up stuck in bed getting worse by the minute, thinking i might need to call an ambulance and go to the hospital.

I started listening to healing teaching nonstop day and night since I couldn't sleep due to choking when I lay down. Late Sunday night God reminded me of the Handbook for Healing by Charles and Francis Hunter. I read through the entire thing in several hours Sunday night, praying every prayer in the book that applied to me, and I was instantly raised up out of my sickbed. My family was thrilled to see such a miracle, and I am healed of things I had for quite a while, as well as whatever the strange health issues were that sent me home. Hallelujah!

Great thread idea Romans 8!

3 random facts:

1. a couple of months ago, the Lord told me to start singing our daily Psalms Chapter instead of reading it, because Psalms is a song book. Our family devotion time rocketed into the Presence and Peace of God.

2. I used to be a very judgmental person due to hyper-perfectionism. Until one day God told me to cut it out. He said everyone (in my world) is doing the best they know. God told me to teach them, so they know more, and can do better. He also told me to treat everyone like they are my beloved family. I find I get much better results when I treat everyone very special and beloved.

3. I recently had a miracle this Sunday night. I fell seriously ill Friday morning and was sent home from work. I ended up stuck in bed getting worse by the minute, thinking i might need to call an ambulance and go to the hospital.

I started listening to healing teaching nonstop day and night since I couldn't sleep due to choking when I lay down. Late Sunday night God reminded me of the Handbook for Healing by Charles and Francis Hunter. I read through the entire thing in several hours Sunday night, praying every prayer in the book that applied to me, and I was instantly raised up out of my sickbed. My family was thrilled to see such a miracle, and I am healed of things I had for quite a while, as well as whatever the strange health issues were that sent me home. Hallelujah!

Awesome testimony! Glory to God.

3 random facts:

It's refreshing to see a Brother in Christ who is Spirit led and Listens and gets results! !
Thank you for sharing
Blessings
FCJ

Back