Three Days And Three Nights

Discussion in 'Bible Study' started by rstrats, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that a phrase stating a specific number of days as well as a specific number of nights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely didn’t include at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?

2. That is a possibility and there is some evidence that the Jews did consider part of a day as a full day in their counting of days. But the Lord Himself said that He would spend "three days and three night" (Mt. 12:40) in the hearth, which seems to rule out any "part" of a day. But I think there is a more logical and specific element here. The Passover was observed by the Judeans on the 14th day of Nisan, which was a month of the Jewish lunar calendar, regardless of what day of the week it fell on. Let's suppose that in that year, the 14th fell on a Wednesday. If Christ were crucified on that day and the Passover began at sundown, that Thursday was regarded as a Sabbath from sundown Wednesday to sundown Thursday with Sabbath rules applying which prohibited Jews from visiting a cemetery. They wouldn't visit a cemetery after dark and Friday was a day following a bit holiday. Saturday would have also been a Sabbath. Which meant that Sunday was the first "non-holy day" a Jew had that would have allowed him or her visit the tomb. In Luke 24:1 the women came on that Sunday morning with spices in hand to embalm a corpse; they weren't expecting a risen Savior. So, the theory that Christ was crucified on a Wednesday would provide for three full days and three full nights in conformity of Matthew 12:40 and give a reason why the women waited until Sunday morning to come with the spices. The days of the week are not identified in the gospel accounts and this theory fits all the elements of the account.

AmadeoIS, Angela333 and Major says Amen and like this.
  3. I doubt that Jesus was unable to work with the customary language of the time including idiom.

As for the exact number of days, hours, minutes and seconds involved, we are told that the 'holy one of God' would not suffer corruption. Psa 16:10. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.
    That would exclude four or more days, but that is all. Indeed, three days and nights would be nominal because there was also a period of time between His actual bodily death and His interment in the grave. So the clock stated ticking at the time of death and the resurrection had to occur before bodily decomposition would begin.....be that three days and four hours or be that two days and twenty one hours......the exact time is just not important.

What is important, or should be to all Christians is that Jesus was crucified and died on that cross at calvary. He took our sins in His own bodily death. He rose from that death and is alive forever more. His resurrection is our guarantee that His atoning death was both adequate and fully accepted by the Father. Now, we can look forward to being resurrected to eternal life because of the work accomplished on our behalf by Jesus on that cross.

Ranabanana and Major say Amen and like this.
  4. I deleted the earlier thread on this topic, as this exact same thread has been posted on many sites over several years by, presumably, the same person. As far as I can tell CHOICE has not been satisfied with any of the answers he has received and I don't expect we will break that trend. However, since people whose scholarship I highly regard have shown an interest in this thread, I will let this iteration of the thread proceed for now.

AmadeoIS likes this.
  5. Rumely,

re: " As far as I can tell CHOICE has not been satisfied with any of the answers he has received..."

That is because none of the replies have provided the information asked for in the OP.

6. Perhaps someone new looking in will know of some writing.

7. I probably should have addressed the OP to the 6th day crucifixion proponents.

8. My only thought Rumely is that is the OP rejects Jack's and calvin's imput, or does not understnad them, then there is not a lot left to be said is there?

9. Major,

re: "My only thought Rumely is that is the OP rejects Jack's and calvin's imput..."

I wonder if you might point out where they provided writing from the first century or before that shows a phrase stating a specific number of days as well as a specific number of nights when it absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?

10. Since it has again been awhile, someone new looking in may know of some writing.

11. Major,

You have a question directed to you in post#9.

12. Praise God calvin!!
    Now THAT is the answer! We need, all of us to KEEP OUR EYES ON JESUS!

13. I do not know of any such writings but that does not mean anything as I am not an expert. I would how ever encourage you to pay attention to Jack and calvin as they are well learned on such matters and I would trust their opinions.

But where do you think the actions described by Jack came from???

The Torah? Tridition? Oral teachings?

14. Major,

re: "I do not know of any such writings..."

OK, you say that you don't know of any writing by Jack and calvin that is responsive to my request in the OP. Fair enough. Maybe someone new looking in who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week will know of some (writing).

re: " But where do you think the actions described by Jack came from??? The Torah? Tridition? Oral teachings?"

I'd say that is a good possibility.

15. Then does that make them none valid? Just asking?

16. Jesus was crucified on the day before the Sabbath. Friday the 6th Day.

5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day. Genesis 1:5

The Day of His crucifixion was Friday, which includes the evening of the day before, as well as the day of Friday. The Evening starts at 6:00 PM the day before.

Day number 1:
    Thursday evening [Night #1] and Friday Morning [Day #1] till 6:00 PM.

Day number 2:
    Friday evening [Night #2] and Saturday Morning [Day #2] till 6:00 PM.

Day number 3:
    Saturday evening [Night # 3] and Sunday Morning [Day # 3]

On the third day He rose!

JLB

17. The material for that particular response I got partially from my class notes when I was in seminary 40 years ago and part of it came from Afred Edershiem's work, "The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah."

18. Same here Jack. I could not recall the names of books studied back then. I am glad you could!

19. Major,

re: "Then does that make them none valid?"

They may be perfectly valid; it's just that they are not responsive to my request in the OP.

20. I don't think your question is well phrased BoC. Nevertheless I'd say for starters that 'Three Days and three Nights" would be idiom. Think about it..... The saying requires that the days, all three of them are defined by 'daylight' hours and the Nights be defined as being non 'daylight' hours. If Day one commenced at dawn and Night one ended the following Dawn and so on until Night three ended at dawn and at the beginning of Day four, that is OK so far as it goes,....but:
    Jesus died late afternoon, not at Dawn and was raised sometime before Dawn, not late afternoon. So, in a literal sense, there had to be a part day, and maybe/probably a part night involved. So if you accept the Gospel narrative you cited as 'documentation', then you have what you are seeking.

Major likes this.