Thoughts on Worship

Dusty

Inactive
Thoughts on Worship

I just want to pull from the notes that I took at a Women's Conference

Outward expressions of worship are the furthest things from God .

In Mark 5: 23 , Jarius worshipped Jesus by falling at His feet . Jarius believed that Jesus was going to heal his daughter and convinced Jesus to go with him .

In John 4:23-24 .... True worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth . God is a spirit and His worshippers must worship in spirit and in thruth .

OUr focus must be on our heart . We must worship the Father with our heart.

Mark 7:6 ... People who honour God with their lips are called hypocrites because their hearts are not in the worship . We need to let go of the traditions of man .

Todays church is being distracted . Like Martha , she invited Jesus to her house and then ignored Him . Todays church is doing the same thing . It's not that Martha wasn't serving the Lord and that she didn't care about His ministry but like many of the church goers today , they believe they are honouring God by serving in the church . I am not saying that is wrong but their focus is on what they are doing and not on what Jesus wants us to do .

John 12:1-9.... Mary was a true worshipper . She poured expensive perfume on Jesus feet , while Judas who was a thief asked why the money was not given to the poor . He was the keeper of the money bag and he used to help himself . Judas sowed exactly what he reaped.

Lasarus was another example . He fellowshipped with Jesus but did not worship Him .

Prayer, study of the Word and church attendance are all good -- but it is not worship . Jesus needs to be the focal point of our worship

John 12:9. hanging around the church for miracles and power displayed --- That's not worship .

Mary did not come to fellowship . She was a true worshipper . She gave with a true desire to please only God

True worship implys an openess , a giving of ourselves .

Matthew 15: 21-23-26. We see a Cananite woman coming crying and begging and Jesus ignored her because her approach was not right . We are the one ones who need to change --- God never changes . She changed her approach and told Jesus , He was her Master and that she loved Him . Jesus I am nothing without you . I'll take the crumbs from under the table if needs be just to be with you . She went from ... help me and a selfish attitude to worship and refusing to quit .

Don't worship Him because of feeelings . Worship Him in the spiritual realm. Have you been putting first things first ?

Make a covenant of worship . Jesus is the King of Kings . Look and seek after Him and Him alone

Worship Him in spirit and in truth .

Romans 12:1
[ A Living Sacrifice ] I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

I just want to pull from the notes that I took at a Women's Conference

Outward expressions of worship are the furthest things from God .

Don't worship Him because of feeelings . Worship Him in the spiritual realm. Have you been putting first things first ?
I agree with everything you posted with the exception of these 2. Outward expressions are quite natural and biblical.

While we do not worship because of feelings God gave us these feelings and they are part of our relationship with Him and thus not to be ignored.

Those are just my views though and I certainly respect yours and have lots of love for you mom.

Ok ... I am thinking that and it even happens in our church where there are people who think they are worshipping because they are dancing , clapping and raising their hands but is that their outward expressions and some of them over do it with the dancing cause it looks like the world . That's what I mean by outward appearance.

Feelings can sometimes be delusional as I also am thinking of course when you are happy you want to give praise but what about when you are not and things are going wrong that is more genuine when we praise our Lord in spite of our feelings .

I know this is a big ball of wool to unravel .

I enjoyed your opening post and the notes and can relate. I think it goes beyond church though and how we live our lives worshipping HIM in all we do and I know I fall short in that too often.

Worship is a matter of heart whether serving in the church, raising holy hands, clapping, dancing, singing......if it is a matter of heart worship and our focus is on pleasing HIM it is in TRUTH. (does that make sense?)

Ok ... I am thinking that and it even happens in our church where there are people who think they are worshipping because they are dancing , clapping and raising their hands but is that their outward expressions and some of them over do it with the dancing cause it looks like the world . That's what I mean by outward appearance.

Feelings can sometimes be delusional as I also am thinking of course when you are happy you want to give praise but what about when you are not and things are going wrong that is more genuine when we praise our Lord in spite of our feelings .

I know this is a big ball of wool to unravel .

No argument Mom- but those same things can be expressions of worship. It is really a matter of the heart behind them.:)

I enjoyed your opening post and the notes and can relate. I think it goes beyond church though and how we live our lives worshipping HIM in all we do and I know I fall short in that too often.

Worship is a matter of heart whether serving in the church, raising holy hands, clapping, dancing, singing......if it is a matter of heart worship and our focus is on pleasing HIM it is in TRUTH. (does that make sense?)

Amen x 10 !:D

No argument Mom- but those same things can be expressions of worship. It is really a matter of the heart behind them.:)

Well and that's whatIwas trying to focus on " The heart'" and earthen Vessel said it so well ... Thanks . That's what it's all about and that's what I was trying to portray that if your heart is not right then you are just going through the motions and like I said Mary was a perfect example . She didn't care if the perfume was the price of a whole years wages . She just wanted to be near Jesus and worship Him and express her love to Him .

All the work and service we do in the church is all good but some people do it for the accolades so therefore their heart is not in the right place. We do it as unto the Lord to honour Him . And goes back again to the verse . we must worship in spirit and truth .

amen to all the posts!:)
I don't see the point for someone to praise the LORD if it is not intended for HIM. How can other's even do that is my question..

I don't see the point for someone to praise the LORD if it is not intended for HIM. How can other's even do that is my question..

Sadly such things are called religion and are DOA (dead on arrival). Ut is truly a matter of the heart:
Isa 58:2 Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.
Isa 58:3 Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.
Isa 58:4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
Isa 58:5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Isa 58:8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.
Isa 58:9 Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
Isa 58:10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
Isa 58:11 And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
Isa 58:12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

In summary , I would like to say ... It is all about Jesus not about us . He must increase and we must decrease .

Worship is about our passion for God to worship with our heart .

Others can do it with their own motives and for people to look at them and say ... Wow isn't she or he spiritual . ? There are those kinds of people and we are warned about that .They think they are worshipping . That's why the heart of worship is our hearts motive not self motives.

Back