They ‘arn’t what they used to be

They ‘arn’t what they used to be!
(Why can’t they leave the old hymns alone?)

They tried a new song in church this morning a mix of old hymn with new chorus stuck in the middle, must be old as I found myself thinking why can’t they leave the old hymns alone messing them about doesn’t enhance them!

Why can’t they leave the old hymns alone?

Did they use up all the best tunes
Dave Brubeck, Billy Joel and co…
Stretching music into new realms of melody with 5/4
I know the psalmist says sing a new song
But new hymns and songs they don’t hold a light,
to Charles Wesley, John Newton, Johann Sebastian Bach, Fanny Crosby just to mention a few

Such poetry, faith simply explained in a time when tunes were tuneful and
Everyone understands!
They’ve even try to cut and shunt new words, modern choruses into favourite old hymns ,

Leave them alone it don’t work they served the church well,
Compose your own eight bars of music and two lines of words repeat and repeat again and again, seems the modern way to go? …

Sung some times with only the drums and Saxophone, sometimes A cappella
To give the musicians a break

Then you’re not allowed to stand there you must
Stood up hands raised
Finish only when the congregation’s faded away…
Trouble is with lights and speakers They don’t speak properly, can’t hear what’s going on!

Problem is I can’t clap on the off beat and I’ve two left feet
So when they slide to the left
Spin round clap your hands stamp your feet
I’m left facing backwards crumpled into a heap
They’ve taken all the doors off the pews and are dancing down the isles

Think I’ll leave all this cacophony on the noise to the young ones, turn my hearing aid off til they all sit down and the preacher comes up to preach!

Have the wrinklies been forgotten, the faithful worriers of yesteryear in an attempt to be relevant to a new generation keeping up with the latest trend?

Should I volunteer to be on the next batch for heaven
Hoping heaven is like it used to be, in church in my youth

Or grow old disgracefully,
a grumpy old man?

There’s a mixture of both young and old in the worship group but this morning they were singing Amazing Grace then they stuck a chorus in the middle, all very trendy but did nothing for me, I just don’t get it
There are several hymns and even a couple of carols at Christmas got the same treatment… sorry but it does nothing for me… must either missed something or be getting old

There’s a mixture of both young and old in the worship group but this morning they were singing Amazing Grace then they stuck a chorus in the middle, all very trendy but did nothing for me, I just don’t get it
There are several hymns and even a couple of carols at Christmas got the same treatment… sorry but it does nothing for me… must either missed something or be getting old
I think it's because you state that you have NO rhythm and two left feet. HAHAHAHA
I did not grow up in church... If I had... I would be of the generation of old hymns also.
I love the Gaither style music... and I believe it would be classified as Southern Gospel??? Might be wrong on that.
I love the barber shop quartets... and I also love the modern Worship but I am one of those that just gets lost in the experience
of corporate worship so the entire room disappears. However... I am one to stand at the altar.... and I don't like bumping into people so I also enjoy worshipping at the back of a room.

Hey Alan;

By the way, I enjoyed reading They ‘arn’t what they used to be and I can see where you're coming from.

I understand that you don't get it. Being in the music ministry we had a long time member leave the church because we added a drummer when we played Great Is Thy Faithfulness.

As I got older I found many of the old hymns remain timeless and I appreciate them even more today. Much of today's contemporary songs are 3 or 4 chord sheets, most of the male singers are 2nd tenor so their voice range and innovation of new songs become limited.

I'm being critical but truthful as a musician and that's on me. I pray to know better, the praise and worship isn't the main service, rather, the whole Church service is what we are to focus on.

God bless
you, Alan, and thank you for always writing poetry of different topics and life situations while keeping God centered.

Bob

I think it's because you state that you have NO rhythm and two left feet. HAHAHAHA
I did not grow up in church... If I had... I would be of the generation of old hymns also.
I love the Gaither style music... and I believe it would be classified as Southern Gospel??? Might be wrong on that.
I love the barber shop quartets... and I also love the modern Worship but I am one of those that just gets lost in the experience
of corporate worship so the entire room disappears. However... I am one to stand at the altar.... and I don't like bumping into people so I also enjoy worshipping at the back of a room.
Either that, got out of the wrong side of the bed , or feeling my age today🥺🥺🥺
Hey Alan;

By the way, I enjoyed reading They ‘arn’t what they used to be and I can see where you're coming from.

I understand that you don't get it. Being in the music ministry we had a long time member leave the church because we added a drummer when we played Great Is Thy Faithfulness.

As I got older I found many of the old hymns remain timeless and I appreciate them even more today. Much of today's contemporary songs are 3 or 4 chord sheets, most of the male singers are 2nd tenor so their voice range and innovation of new songs become limited.

I'm being critical but truthful as a musician and that's on me. I pray to know better, the praise and worship isn't the main service, rather, the whole Church service is what we are to focus on.

God bless
you, Alan, and thank you for always writing poetry of different topics and life situations while keeping God centered.

Bob
Agree… keeps you on your toes though?
Writing these thoughts challenges me as much as others
I love sometimes to provoke myself (and others ) into new revelations in their walk with God
As hard as I try music is a foreign world to me!
(Just better talk off my shoes and hum along🤢😇)ha ha!

There is nothing wrong in preferring the old hymns. The church I go to mainly sings the modern ones. On the odd occasion they choose an oldie and I feel like shouting hooray. They have beautiful lyrics and l can feel the holy presence when the church is singing them.
I know the same can happen with modern hymns too.

There is nothing wrong in preferring the old hymns. The church I go to mainly sings the modern ones. On the odd occasion they choose an oldie and I feel like shouting hooray. They have beautiful lyrics and l can feel the holy presence when the church is singing them.
I know the same can happen with modern hymns too.
I like most modern hymns as well as old ones but when they cut and shunt them together it’s more like a car crash

Back