The Word: Interpretation

I'm 100% sure that God wasn't influenced by Hellenistic thought, Hebrew thought, or any other kind of thought. I'm saying He uses the language of the people to speak to the people. I'm not suggesting that the author believed that the Logos concept from Stoicism was factually accurate, I'm saying it was a culturally ubiquitous concept, like, say, the concepts of the subconscious, or democracy, or feminism are for us: you don't necessarily believe in them, but they are part of the culture you live in, so you understand them, and you can speak with other people about them.

I'm just suggesting that the author is using the concept of Logos to teach a universal Truth about Jesus for his culture the same way Paul in Acts 17 used the alter to the unknown god to teach the Greeks in Athens about God. Paul says, "So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you." I think that's exactly what John 1:1 for Greeks; it says, you already understand that there's an active intelligence in the universe that holds all things together, now let me teach you that this intelligence was there from the beginning, was with God and was God, was made known to us and walked among us, and has a name: Jesus.

I do see what you're getting at Roads, I just don't see it applicable in John as that was directed to Jews not Gentiles. Of course what Paul said and did in Acts 17 was directed at the religious concepts of those Greeks in Athens, the center of their culture and religion. Although educated in Greek, Paul was born a Roman in Tarsus but grew up in Jerusalem and taught by Gamaliel as shown in Acts 22:3. I'm sorry but I just don't see what you see. Paul did use the situation in Acts 17 to change the Greek perception of the unknown God being their's, to the unknown God being known by the followers of Christ. I'm NOT really sure just how ubiquitous Logos really was, but obviously as far as those who were educated in Greek, there was some familiarity, and that is how Paul used it. The book of John is another story seeing as it wasn't really directed at Greek educated peoples.

I don't anticipate "serious" changes in upcoming translations either, Stan. I'm not throwing up my hands here about our current translations and saying, it's wrong, all wrong! But I think small changes in understanding can make a big difference for people in their worldview, which determines how they live as Christians and teach Christianity. Like in the example from the Chinese translation in the article I linked (which I started another thread about), a small change can be an "aha!" moment for an entire Christian community.

I have background in literary criticism, and I've found John 1:1 to be an excellent way to talk with postmodernists about God, because of the significance of words as a creative force in postmodernism. Similarly, an explanation of the significance of Logos in Greek thought reveals how helpful John 1:1 could be in discussions with people in our modern culture who believe in a life-force in the universe, or an absentee God.

Well I pray you are right about that, but seeing as that philosophy is barely 150 years old I would say it would NOT be a BIG influence on those people.
Just remember what Paul wrote in 2 Tim 3:16-17;
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Interesting. Postmodernists like Derrida wanted to debunk what he called 'logocentrism'.

Yeah. It's a lot easier to discuss postmodern ideas with people who follow after Foucault's tradition, since those are the ideas that have the most obvious implications for practical application. In our real social structures, its application usually involves some form of analysis of power structures, and criticism of claims of legitimacy/authority.

That being said, it's not impossible to discuss the theory at its core. I start with Barthes' concept of the death of the author (from post-structuralism), which, as a Christian, I believe highlights the significance of the role of the the Holy Spirit, as literally, the living Spirit of the Author, who continues to communicate with us, making the Bible the only text ever written where Barthes' theory doesn't apply.

Well I pray you are right about that, but seeing as that philosophy is barely 150 years old I would say it would NOT be a BIG influence on those people.

There is a lot of study still ongoing into the influences of Hellenism on Hebrew culture. You may be interested in following this discussion. Information on it is not particularly difficult to find.

Yeah. It's a lot easier to discuss postmodern ideas with people who follow after Foucault's tradition, since those are the ideas that have the most obvious implications for practical application. In our real social structures, its application usually involves some form of analysis of power structures, and criticism of claims of legitimacy/authority.

That being said, it's not impossible to discuss the theory at its core. I start with Barthes' concept of the death of the author (from post-structuralism), which, as a Christian, I believe highlights the significance of the role of the the Holy Spirit, as literally, the living Spirit of the Author, who continues to communicate with us, making the Bible the only text ever written where Barthes' theory doesn't apply.

Derrida's thought is actually rather Medieval in the sense that he was very influenced by Kabbalism. For him, meaning was an endless pattern of signs which are supposedly an end in themselves, with no ultimate referent.

Some Cambridge University members of the Senate actually stood up and objected to his honorary doctorate because they viewed him as very unsound as a thinker.

Back