The Witness Factor Of The Holy Spirit

So let us consider the role of the Holy Spirit as the Witness in according to His words.

John 16:13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

There is an importance of the Holy Spirit for not speaking of Himself in seeking the glory of the Son.

Look at the witness factor for man in how to witness and how not to witness.

John 3: 28Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30He must increase, but I must decrease.

John 5:31If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

John 7:18He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

To be a witness requires one not to speak of themselves, but to speak for the One that sent him. That means the witness must decrease in anything regarding himself so that the glory of his testimony of the Other can be seen in his witness of the One that sent him. The witness cannot share in that spotlight nor glory, thus he must decrease so that the glory of the One he is testifying of will increase.
Now see what a false witness will do.

Matthew 15: 18But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20These are the things which defile a man:

Since the Holy Spirit is God, He will not bear false witness to be defiling Himself. So neither will man nor the Holy Spirit in him would be seeking honour nor glory for themselves when together, we are serving as a witness of the Son in seeking the glory of the Son and thereby the Father's as well.

John 15:26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

That is the mind of Christ we are to have in worship:

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

In songs: that means no singing songs seeking the honour and glory of the Holy Spirit as the Holy Spirit in us is leading us to do otherwise.

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

In fellowship:

1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Because God the Father is not glorified by any other way other than by glorifying the Son which is what the Holy Spirit in us is leading us to do.

John 13:31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

The importance of this cannot deviate because whenever we witness as a singular individual, the Holy Spirit is a combined witness with us in regards to the Son so that our witness can be true.

John 8:17It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.

What we cannot deviate from in order for our individual witness with the Holy Spirit to be true, we cannot as a church either. This is why this standard of judgment has been raised over every believer.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

This is how you can tell the difference between the real indwelling Holy Spirit that would keep the spotlight on the Son in the assembly from the spirit of the antichrists that would take the spotlight off of the Son in the worship place with its visitations of signs and lying wonders in seeking their own glory and worship from its movement.

Back