The Tragedy of Rejecting Godly Counsel

Since they would not accept my advice and spurned my rebuke, they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes. - Proverbs 1:30-31

We have all had times in our lives where believers in the Lord have given advice to us in our Christian walks. Sometimes it was a kind reminder of a verse or a practical suggestion in a situation. Other times it could even be an extreme "Thus saith the Lord." What do we do with such counsel we recieve in our lives? Do we accept counsel that we at first disagree with or is contrary to what we are doing or think? In my own live there were various times that I recieved godly counsel that I knew deep down in my heart was right but was against what I wanted and desired. Other times I have recieved strong words from brothers that was very extreme and in the end I needed to weigh it with other counsel and how Church history also believed on the issue. But one way we can know that counsel is sound is if it accords with the Scriptures and secondly if it is counsel that many other godly men agree with. Such counsel should be weighed carefully and it is dangerous to reject such warnings as in the end we might be fighting against God Himself. Many believers in our day are quick to give their opinions but godly Elders and leaders in the body of Christ, pray and hear from God clearly to sound a warning or help for someone.

It is not dangerous to reject someone's opinion or thinking on an issue but to reject strong godly counsel from a church leader can lead to a life full of hurt and even destruction. If we cannot recieve counsel and instruction we become foolish no matter how prosperous we are in life (Ecclesiastes 4:13). We can start to hate being corrected or having counsel that goes against our thinking (Proverbs 5:12). When we reject godly counsel over time we end up rejecting the Lord Himself (Proverbs 1:25-26). We become right in our own eyes in every situation (Proverbs 12:15). C.S. Lewis says, "There is nothing progressive about being pig headed and refusing to admit a mistake." Be willing to admit failure, admit that your way is not always right. Admit you allowed a mistake. Such humbling of one's self will open your heart to hear godly counsel again, and allow the Lord to direct your paths. When we put pressure, control and our own reasoning upon a situation it can seem we are right but in the light of Scriptures and godly counsel the actual truth can be revealed. The warning in the verse in Proverbs is that the worse thing that can happen, is the Lord simply will allow us to be filled with the "fruit of our ways" and the end result of our own scheming. May God have mercy and allow us to always be willing to hear the advice of others, especially godly elders and mature believers in the Lord. Such an open heart will save us from many trials and lead us in the way of blessing with the Lord.

I am in full agreement with you for receiving and adhering to godly counsel, however only if it lines up with the Word of God. I know that there are many wise and God fearing men, but sometimes they can be wrong, if they are listening to commentaries and religious ideas that they dont have Scripture for or that are not backed up by the Word.

Many well meaning people have been known to make men their first source of counsel, instead of God and His Word. Many, maybe because they are not secure enough within their relationship with the Lord, to trust that they have heard from the Holy Spirit.

God bless you abundantly! And thank you for reminding us all to always take godly counsel seriously and not to dismiss it so easily. Always committing that counsel to prayer and a search in the Scriptures for verification.

Blessings

Revelation 3:19
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.

I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

However vs 20 is still apart of 19
Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

The Lord won't force us to take His correction as we all know. But there is a Blessing if we do.

Many good meaning people will try to correct others and it not be of the Lord and that is why we need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit. He will confirm the correction if it is from the Lord.

Blessings
FCJ

Back