1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

The Time Machine

Discussion in 'Biblical Advices' started by adventurefilms, Jan 26, 2007.

1. The Time Machine

(4 years old),
    Every once in awhile I see a movie that sparks some sort of cerebral awaking and I find the urge to write down the odd thoughts running through my head, this seems to save me from my monotonous daily routine; this is one of those times. As the title implies I saw the Time Machine, written by H.G. Wells in 1895, dream works then made it into a great movie. It is a stunning twist on an old classic. Superb special affects, outstanding story line.

Once again we follow Professor Alexander Hartdengen on an unlikely adventure that shows us humans, while I’m sure proving H.G. Wells point that the pursuit of answers only causes more questions to be asked. The main point of the story is one mans quest to find a way to change the past, bye journeying into the future. As he makes observations of the school system of the present day, and how he doesn’t want to see the students graduate school all dressing alike and thinking the same memorized knowledge, he soon finds out that his theory of the future of mankind is far worst then he could imagine. As you see Alexander sitting in his time machine traveling through the future you see a collage of alien imagery, over flowing with spiritual, educational, phisophical, prophetical under-tones.

One would only cheer at the out come, content with the satisfaction that this one man was right among a whole planet of people. I tend to watch these movies and while fascinated with the visual imagery, I am also left in awe at the intellectual statements it makes. Here we have a man who has such passion in the field of engineering and design, but is still made to be off guard and captivated by a woman. As he struggles to change the past he journeys further into the future and comes face to face with the answer he seeks, only having found it in the exact opposite direction in which he started. One reoccurring theme I saw in the picture was the difference between knowledge and simple information.

Alexander was a brilliant professor with ideas that were shunned by his peers and discouraged by his elders, yet the very ideas he had were the exact way things turned out. He argued with his friend that at some point we, humans, would go to far; that our constant need to expand would be too much. 800,000 yrs. later Alexander sees the destructive trophy of mans wondrous creations. We see the world in ruins and the race that was once human; divide into 2 separate species, Eloi and Morlock.

The Eloi live above ground in cliff dwellings, they speak a language much like the Indians of the early Americas and live in much the same manner. The Morlocks live underground, they are a mutated form of the once humans that thought they would have better luck beneath the earth. They are cannibals and are breed for different tasks. Every so often the Morlocks come up to the surface and hunt the Eloi, taking them below ground to serve as food. Here we see the end of all ends to man: keep the cows fat so you’ll always have food. An interesting statement is made about the Eloi; it is said, they have no knowledge of the past and no ambition for the future.” For this reason they are easily feasted upon like sheep to the slaughter.

In an interesting twist, a holographic library of sorts survives the holocaust of man and is preserved as a lifeboat for humanity, but it is a resource that decayed through the ignorance of man. It seems that the only one to use this resource was the only one that came before it. So much of this movie shows that just because you know it, doesn’t mean that you know it…? What I mean is the right question isn’t knowing what all the buttons do, but can you make the machine that the buttons belong to. Example: A generation that ceases to learn, is a generation that increasingly becomes extinct.

I heard just today on the radio that Georgia schools were decreasing in education because more memorizing of facts and less creative thought were being taught. Now while I agree that kids should know their capitals and times tables, I fear that the decrease of idealistic thought, by which I mean, deductive and creative skills, are imperative to the survival of this generation. What good is a laptop computer, if we can’t keep our marriages together, or if parents can’t tell their children that they love them, or if we can’t see the importance of loved ones, or what good is it if we kill God. Yes, kill God. Of course we can’t literally kill Him, but if you shut him out of your life and give yourself to the technologic pitfall of a never satisfied and never ending matrix, then yes you have killed God. Our race to fill our lives with megabits and gigahertz, Pentium processors and high definition TV's has taken us away from the simplistic satisfaction that comes from Gods creation.. (Mac's are ok) :)

Even Alexander who was consumed with machines and technology ended up remarking that, “it was just a machine.” While I could continue on it is shown that our attention span is only about 12 minutes; I hope you will go see The Time Machine, and think about the past and how better to prepare yourself for the future. Israel never really learned from their past, and they suffered for it, the only way you can change the past is preparing for the future, sin is your past, and like Alexander nothing you do will change it. Jesus is our future, but until you accept him you’ll never be able to solve your past.

As unprepared as man was when they destroyed the earth through their great wisdom so to will be the coming of the Son of God. If you remember nothing else remember this: Everyone before you failed, and you will to; when you stand before God it will be too late. The priest of Israel thought like man, and when Jesus came he used a handful of dirty, smelly fisherman to accomplish His work. It’s not always the smartest men who succeed, but the ones who know that they don’t know.