the peace that passes all understanding

Philippians 4:5-7

King James Version

5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

lets discuss this peace which passes all understanding

questions to think on..

1. what does this peace mean to you.
2 where does it come from
3 how do we get to this peace

not interested in who is right who us wring.. lets discuss these verses and questions .. i will kick this off with this verse

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in " perfect peace, " whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Philippians 4:5-7​

King James Version​

5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

lets discuss this peace which passes all understanding

questions to think on..

1. what does this peace mean to you.

not interested in who is right who us wring.. lets discuss these verses and questions .. i will kick this off with this verse

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in " perfect peace, " whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Hello forgiven;

Thank you for this reminder in Philippians 4:5-7. In another thread I shared that I've become a patient man. I love people more while getting out of God's Way and letting them go. It works.

My wife and I thank God daily for spiritual contentment. Yet we are still met with circumstances and the ways of the world that we cannot control, we have peace and calm with God first who is in control of everything.

When I'm wrong, well, I've been wrong before and it's inevitable that I will be wrong again. Even so, through God's perfect peace is an example that I desire to strive for each day in every situation whether I'm wrong or right.

God bless you, forgiven, and thank you for sharing.

God bless you, forgiven, and thank you for sharing.
not so much a sharing ..but a discussion . if i give you my honest opinion. in forums the subjects that draw the most heat are the ones with 7 pages then mods step in with the fire hose put fire out.. thus the reason of discussion

This is a good question And Its not what I first thought it was. Biblical Peace is a lot different from what the world would say it is. War is the opposite of peace in that respect.
I notice it’s more than just a place of safety too. It has has stuff in it. All the worries and desires and thought patterns and resistances and needs that’s in there in the background holding on tightly ready to begin its day is still there, and it’s OK. All the biblical messages I’ve learned and remembered is in their. The Hope, and I especially notice the faith inside and the thoughts that even when the Peace of knowing all this and being ok with it all and even when I can’t accept things just yet, will sometimes be lost, I also get swept back into it where it will be found again, because I’ve lost it so many times or at least I think I have. Like when David said he felt God had forgotten Him…..or taken His Love away and that kind of thing.

Interesting question forgiven61 😊

This is a good question And Its not what I first thought it was. Biblical Peace is a lot different from what the world would say it is. War is the opposite of peace in that respect.
I notice it’s more than just a place of safety too. It has has stuff in it. All the worries and desires and thought patterns and resistances and needs that’s in there in the background holding on tightly ready to begin its day is still there, and it’s OK. All the biblical messages I’ve learned and remembered is in their. The Hope, and I especially notice the faith inside and the thoughts that even when the Peace of knowing all this and being ok with it all and even when I can’t accept things just yet, will sometimes be lost, I also get swept back into it where it will be found again, because I’ve lost it so many times or at least I think I have. Like when David said he felt God had forgotten Him…..or taken His Love away and that kind of thing.

there is no peace at all in this world. if i was to guess the majority feel peace is when everything is going well. no major head aches no unexpected expenses .our health is good, money to pay bills. etc.. imo this peace that passes all understanding is no matter the outcome. we know the Lord is with us. called a inner peace

one example as a Christian we can go to bed at night knowing when we wake up in the morning . or in my case early hours of the morning :eek: 2- 3am wishing for more sleep . knowing the Lord will be right there when we wake up. and lots of this peace comes by faith. peace is also a fruit of the spirit. the peace of God peace with God peace from God ,its better experienced than defined much like Grace

there is no peace at all in this world. if i was to guess the majority feel peace is when everything is going well. no major head aches no unexpected expenses .our health is good, money to pay bills. etc.. imo this peace that passes all understanding is no matter the outcome. we know the Lord is with us. called a inner peace

one example as a Christian we can go to bed at night knowing when we wake up in the morning . or in my case early hours of the morning :eek: 2- 3am wishing for more sleep . knowing the Lord will be right there when we wake up. and lots of this peace comes by faith. peace is also a fruit of the spirit. the peace of God peace with God peace from God ,its better experienced than defined much like Grace
Yes, I think the word closer to a sense of worldly peace is the word “calm”. When things are calm and going well as to be expected there is a sense of contentment in that too. But we as Christians know that kind of peace don’t last.
Hope you get better sleep f61🙏

It is 2:05 am here. :(

By the way, I think heaven and earth are two different worlds, meaning we need to lift our spirit higher, and enter into the presence of the Lord, shunning earthly things in thought and deed.

Hello forgiven, Via and Robin;

You all share a common ground, the distinction of world peace versus God's peace. Here's a thought;

One of many, many examples of world peace are television commercials. Most tv ads begin with an unhappy and unsatisfied look 🙁 on a person's face so they go SHOPPING. lol!

At the end of the commercial the person has a happy look on their face 🤡 with their new stuff and there is reasonable financing just in case.

We know the commercial is a marketing campaign to get the consumer to spend money but there is no guarantee of peace in the long run, only temporal (in the world sense.)

What I illustrated does not include any mention of Christ in the commercial verbiage.

On the flip side when we went on a missionary last year to Romania and Ukraine, we were aware the Russians were striking the east coast but had no idea whether they would strike in the city we visited and ministered to.

While waiting for our connecting flight at Heathrow Airport, England's largest airport, it was so large that we had to catch shuttles, go up and down escalators just to reach our boarding gate.

While waiting for our next flight to Bucharest, Romania, I took the time to call Cosia from Christian Forum Site. I was so overjoyed to hear her voice. We didn't talk about everything that is wrong with the world, but praised God for everything He's doing is right. From serving together and being able to hear each other's voice brought about a peace that those tv commercials cannot describe.

That was a good blessing. During that phone call we didn't know what would happen in 2023. Today we both are still getting past circumstances in our personal lives but in our hearts we have the Truth of God's peace as Christians proclaim and live; We are dead onto Christ.

In Galatians 2:20, 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. - KJV

This passage is based on His promises. When a believer has this kind of belief, trust and faith, lives with God's peace, something the world cannot grasp.

Praise the Lord, Praise His Wonderful Name.

Hello forgiven61, I LOVE the Biblical topic of "peace", "peacemakers", etc. Here are some thoughts from a sermon on Matthew 5:9 about this topic.

The idea of peace dominates the Bible. The Bible opens with peace in the garden; the Bible closes with peace in eternity. In fact, you could chart the course of history based on the theme of peace. There was peace on earth in the garden. Man sinned, peace was interrupted.
At the Cross, peace became a reality again as He who died on the Cross became our peace. And since the Lord Jesus Christ has provided peace, there can be peace in the heart of a man or a woman who comes to know Him.
Someday in the future, He will come again. His title will be the Prince of Peace. He will establish a kingdom of peace, which will finally go into an eternal age of peace. ~https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-library/2204/Happy-Are-the-Peacemakers

Two of your OP questions were,

I believe that the answer to both (questions 2 & 3), especially in the sense of first and foremost, is found in the 2nd paragraph of the sermon excerpt above. IOW, our peace comes from God through the living and growing relationship that He establishes with us when He changes us into wholly new creatures in Christ and saves us, because of all that He did for us at the Cross to atone for our sins, redeem us, and reconcile us to Himself .. e.g. Romans 5:8-10, and by all that He continues to do for us, even today, to make us more and more Christlike/less and less sinful from here to Glory .. e.g. Philippians 1:6, 2:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (and beyond*).

Isaiah 9
6 Unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the ~increase~ of His government and peace
There will be no end*,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Psalm 85
Lovingkindness and truth have met together;
Righteousness and peace have kissed each other.

Last edited:
The peace mentioned in Rom 5:1 is the peace we have by faith through the atoning work of Christ ...the enmity between God and man has been removed. It is an 'objective' peace.
Phillipians 4:7 is more of a subjective peace which we actually experience as we 'make our requests known to God/trust in His goodness' etc.

Back