The Old Time Gospel

Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 3:22 p.m.

I believe the Lord Jesus led me to find this pastor, Shane Idleman, a few months ago when I was doing an internet search on a particular topic. His sermons have been such a blessing to my heart lately, but the one I listened to today really moved me to tears. This is one of the most powerful messages I have heard him preach so far, and also that I have heard in many, many years.

In a day and time in the church here in America where the gospel is being diluted and church meetings are being turned into fully orchestrated stage productions for the entertainment and enjoyment of even the world, this type of preaching definitely stands out. It is reminiscent for me of the kind of preaching I heard when I was a young woman in Akron, Ohio in the ‘50’s – ‘70’s. I grew up in the Christian & Missionary Alliance, the same denomination as A.W. Tozer, so I grew up on that kind of preaching. In fact, this guy’s preaching here reminds me of Tozer’s preaching, in context, though perhaps not in style.

In this sermon, he is talking with men and pastors at a men’s conference, and he does not pull any punches. He preaches the straight truth of God’s holy word, and he says what needs to be said whether he is liked or disliked in return. At least, that is the impression with which I came away after listening to him preach.

All I can tell you is that we need more preachers like this man in our pulpits. We need more men of God who will follow the Lord Jesus Christ wholeheartedly, without wavering and without apology, and who are committed to living godly, pure and holy lives, and who are leading their people to live godly, pure and holy lives in submission and surrender to Almighty God, set apart (unlike; different) from the world, because like God, and set apart to God and to his service (to obedience).

"How Long Will You Waiver?"
- Pastor Shane Idleman

Ho! Every One That is Thirsty / Lucy Rider Meyer

Ho! every one that is thirsty in spirit,
Ho! every one that is weary and sad;
Come to the fountain, there’s fullness in Jesus,
All that you’re longing for: come and be glad!

Child of the world, are you tired of your bondage?
Weary of earth joys, so false, so untrue?
Thirsting for God and His fullness of blessing?
List to the promise, a message for you!

Child of the kingdom, be filled with the Spirit!
Nothing but “fullness” thy longing can meet;
’Tis the enduement for life and for service;
Thine is the promise, so certain, so sweet.

“I will pour water on him that is thirsty,
I will pour floods upon the dry ground;
Open your hearts for the gifts I am bringing;
While ye are seeking Me, I will be found.”

Back