1. A place of fellowship, support, encouragement, and learning shared by members from all around the world. We pray that this online community helps you grow closer to God while you build relationships with other people. Our forums are free, easy to use and equipped with features to enhance your online experience. Sign Up Now >>

The Name of God

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by th1bill, Dec 6, 2011.

1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member

During my time on the Web I have tried to be careful to teach and when one seeks to instruct it is required that they both study and be honest. I am presently seeking to interest others, young and old, male and female, in the Book of the Revelation. In this post Revelation s mentioned only because I have been, lovingly, rebuked. It is the opinion of many that are younger than I that the name of God can be spelled god and present no disrespect to our only Holy God and because of Life Experience, I completely disagree.

When I was raised up we were (young folks) taught propriety. My generation, not myself, did not place emphasis on this matter and itś involvement with respect. Now, that generation, our children, has raised up their children (definitely not my daughter) to, as a whole, be disrespectful without even realizing they are. In the rebuke, Rumley, the Moderator, pointed out to me that the person i sought to instruct with a gentle rebuke that in his opinion no disrespect was intended and none occurred.

The very first thing to consider is Mal. 3:6, God is the never changing God of all Creation! In Psa. 111:5 we see that we must fear God, a theme found throughout the entire Bible, to include the Life Application Commentary included with all Christian versions, known as The New Testament. So, at this point let´s look at fear in respect to our LORD. When I was a lad My dad loved me and demanded my respect (fear). I gave to him the respect (fear of disappointing) to him without ceasing, right up to and including the day he passed from this world into Eternity. When he was old I could have beaten the thunder out of him but I always humbled myself in his presence, just as I do for God.

In Proverbs 7a we learn that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. For understa
  2. th1bill

Oops!
    In Proverbs 7a we learn that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. For understanding this point there are many roads open to examination. The best one available is a complete reading of the Bible but because folks find that laborious let´s consider the Kings of Europe and Asia from the past. It was a smart peasant that went out of their way to not anger the King because the king had the power of life or death over them. Today God, not only has this power but even more importantly, He has the power of life or death in Eternity.

To avoid belaboring the point you can have the remaining scriptures for this point, James 4, Isaiah 6 & Revelation 14. The point is that the fear of God is respect and respect is the awarding of special attention, special care and genuine love. Another poster sought to inform me that encouragement was more influential than a timely amd correcting rebuke. To that point all I can say is, Satan is offering us all the encouragement he an deliver.
  3. Glomung

Glomung Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Complete respect should be used when referring to the Eternal God, the lower case "god" should be used to refer to pagan/false deities of whatever stripe, but never to refer to Our Creator.

The problem arises that disrespectful terms lead to disrespectful thinking which leads to disrespectful habits.
  4. Major

Major Well-Known Member

AGREED.

As mistman correctly stated on another thread that he uses the upper case even when referring to God/Christ as He, or Him.
  5. th1bill

I have always in the past and the present made myself unpopular with my teaching on the subject of reverence for God and on more than one forum I have been permanently banned for my position on reverence for God, the Father and my unyielding position on the inerrancy of scripture. I suspect this will occur again in the future. In each instance the moderators have offered me the option to recant but I can not do that. I do know the difficulty with being a moderator and will seldom take issue with their decisions until it violates what the Holy Spirit has used scripture to teach me and then, not to rebuke but hopefully to inform and enlighten.

One of the greatest problems I encounter is with what a post on the Web is. People just refuse to see that a post on the internet is a move that teaches but that is exactly what it does. And scripture goes so far as to caution us not to teach because it is such a risky business. Recently I published a post on several sites about Pew Whales and it is amusing, some of the replies. Folks understand that they fit the model and they go so far as to ascertain their identity by being upset that I should actually speak thusly of them. These are people I have never spoken to, let alone attended Church with them and yet they supress the Holy Spirit ad are ofended because I have stepped on their toes.

We live among a strange and lost people.
  6. KingJ

KingJ Well-Known Member

I agree! I don't see how anyone who fears and respects God can say 'god'.

and especially when they see fellow Christians using caps???
  7. mistmann

mistmann Active Member

Thank you Major but an important point should be noted. In noting my OWN practice I did not condemn or judge OTHERS for not following the same practice, and therein lies the crux of why Bill was gently and lovingly rebuked. If I might take a little liberty here:-

Romans 14:1-6 (as adapted and made relevant to the current topic) Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4 Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5 One man capitalise one word above another: another esteemeth every word alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that capitalise the word capitalise it unto the Lord; and he that capitalise not the word to the Lord he doth not capitalise it. ...

Romans 14 Gentlemen, do not forget Romans 14.

How WE relate to OUR Lord and master is between us and our Lord. How another relates to THEIR Lord and master (even if it is the same Lord and master) is not our place to judge. It is a matter between THEM and THEIR Lord and master. THIS is the point Paul is making in Romans 14.
  8. th1bill

Mistmann,
    You are now the mouth piece for Rumley? You have let your pride (sin) jump up ad bite you in both strings now. i was trying to be kind and to leave your comments out of this discussion so as to avoid this becoming a contest of wills and here you go, driving towards just that, again.

When Rumley said to put the string back on track, I did, exactly that! You, on the other hand, having decided that I had sinned, posted a rebuke aimed at and ignored by me. And here you are, again, with your self righteous indignation placing shots across the bow in the very judgment you profess to be sin. If you are correct, in your judgment, you have, what? Sinned unto death?

Romans 14:4, your highlight, must never be interpreted, this you have done, but rather must always e understood with the light of all other scripture illuminating it.

Since you do not have access to my mind I´ll illuminate you, just a bit! I may have appeared, because of personal prejudice, to have chastised the, actually involved young lady but that will make both you and Rumley wrong! In reference to your passage, a deeper study of scripture will show that Paul, the author of Romans also corrected a runaway slave, the master of another, and sent the slave home, a better servant. As I, much like Paul, seek to follow my Master and King, I always seek to instruct, not to, as you have mistakenly done, judge!

I will pass along the flowers with the lesson, though. Had you not put your foot so deeply into the mire, I would, likely, have been availed the opportunity to tell Rumley my purpose. You see, this is not the first time I have been admonished by Rumley and he can inform you that I never squirm when properly rebuked. I am not always right but it is important to always seek the wisdom of your elders.
  9. mistmann

mistmann Active Member

No I am not the mouthpiece of Rumley, I merely find that often we are in agreement with many things. Understand however I would have made my post whether Rumley had said something or not. I made it to encourage and comfort pancakes who had just been openly and harshly accused before all here of having no respect or reverence of God simply because she failed to use a capital G.

We have authority from the word of God to GENTLY rebuke people for not teaching according to the word of God. We have authority from the word of God to GENTLY rebuke believers for not treating others as the Lord has taught us to treat them. I could not find any Biblical authority that declares we must ALWAYS use a capital G when speaking of the Lord and rebuke and accuse those who do not of irreverence and disrespect of the Lord.

But I leave it to others to judge for themselves all that has been said and done.
  10. th1bill

You´re not going to like me but, that is your perspective and it is not mine. I did not cast her out of the Church nor did I deny her fellowship. That would have been harsh. My post has the potential for instructing billions in the open format and only one in a PM. And since you are the brought her into this string, are you any less guilty of what you accuse me? Is the a log in your eye as you look for the imagined splinter in mine?
  11. Rumely

Rumely Senior Moderator Staff Member

I have deleted a couple of posts from this thread which amount to a personal attack on another member. Everybody needs to step back, take a breath, and consider whether a comment they make is more likely to help resolve an issue or add fuel to the fire.