1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

The Law: pt #2

Discussion in 'Bible Study' started by herald, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Law: pt #2

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night." Ps 1:1,2

"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than the honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them is Thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward." Ps 19:7-11

"The law of God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide." Ps 37:31

"I delight to do Thy will, O my God: yea, Thy law is within my heart." Ps 40:8; Jer 31:31-34; Heb 8:10 (Under the New Covenant, the Lord engraves His Covenant in our hearts and minds. That is why Jesus said, that, if a man looks upon a woman to lust, he has, already, committed adultery with her in his heart.)

"Give ear, O My people, to My law: incline your ears to the Words of My mouth." Ps 78:1 (Again, the Lord compares His Word with His law.)

"Blessed is the man whom Thou chastenest, O Lord, and teacheth him out of Thy law." Ps 94:12

"As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions ("of the law" 1 John 3:4) from us...to such as keep His Covenant and to those that remember His commandments to do them." Ps 103. (Covenants have conditions.)

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW." 1 John 3:4

"Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord...Open Thou my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy law." Ps 119:1,18

"Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me Thy law graciously...Give me understanding, and I shall keep Thy law: yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart." Pr 119:29,34

"So shall I keep Thy law continually forever and ever...Horror hath taken hold upon me because the wicked that forsake Thy law." Ps 119:44,53

"Let Thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may love: for Thy law is my delight...O how I love Thy law! It is my meditation all the day." Ps 119:77,97

"I hate vain thoughts: but Thy law do I love...It is time for Thee to work: for they have made void Thy law." Ps 119:113,126

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Rom 3:31

"Rivers of water run down my eyes, because they keep not Thy law...Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Thy law is truth." Ps 119:136,142

"I have longed for Thy salvation, O Lord; and Thy law is my delight." Ps 119:174

"For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life." Pro 6:23

"Keep My commandments and live; and My law as the apple of thine eye." Pro 7:2

"The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death." Pro 13:14

"They that forsake the law praise the wicked: but such as keep the law contend with them." Pro 28:4

"For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity (lawlessness) and idolatry...1 Sam 15:23

Jesus said, "He that rejecteth me and receiveth not My Words, hath one that judgeth him: the Word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day." John 12:48

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified." Rom 2:12,13

His Word/His law will judge each one of us. Do you want His Word/His law to judge you?

Or, to hear Him say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant?"

"And being made perfect, He became the author of eternal salvation, unto all them that obey Him." Heb 5:9
  2. Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

As a Christian we are not under the Law but follow the leading of the Spirit of God. That of course is not to say the law was not good- it was a schoolmaster to teach us we could not please God in our own strength.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
    Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
    Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
    Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
    Gal 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
  3. Rom 16:26 refers to "the obedience of faith." True faith is always obedient to God's Word.

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangebly with, "law," "precepts," "statutes," "commandments," "judgments," "testimonies."

His Word = His law

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

And I will put My Spirit within you, and CAUSE YOU to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." Ezek 36:26,27. When He puts His Spirit within us, we are empowered by His Spirit to keep His Word/His law. That is what "walking in His Spirit" is all about.

The, only, law that was fulfilled was the Ceremonial law. Circumcision is now of the heart, washings are baptism, Jesus, the clean became unclean so that we may be clean. The Sabbath Feast Days were fulfilled:

PASSOVER: Our Passover Lamb
    UNLEAVENED BREAD: He was without sin
    TABERNACLES: He "tabernacled among us"...

If the Ceremonial law had not been fulfilled, we would, still, sacrifice animals,

1. Is called, "the law contained in ordinances." Eph 2:15
    2. Was spoken by Moses. Lev 1:1-3
    3. Was written by Moses in a book. 11 Chron 35:12
    4. Was placed in the side of The Ark (to show it's temporal nature)
    5. Was nailed to the cross. Col 2:14
    6. Was abolished by Christ. Eph 2:15

1. Is called, the "royal law." Ja 2:8
    2. Was spoken by God. Deut 4:12,13
    3. Was written with the finger of God. Ex 31:18
    4. Was placed inside The Ark. Ex 40:20; Heb 9:4
    5. Is to "stand forever and ever" Ps 111:7,8
    6. Was not destroyed by Christ. Mt 5:17,18

The Ten Commandment Covenant deals with our character and is used by the Holy Spirit in our on-going process of sanctification.

We, certainly, cannot bow down and worship other gods, take His name in vain, profane His holy day, dishonor our parents, murder, commit adultery, steal, bear false witness, covet and walk in His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will never lead us into sin, or, "the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

The Apostle Paul wrote, "Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas (Peter); and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?" 1 Cor 1:12,13

In Revelation 17, the Lord calls the Catholic/Protestant religious system, "The Mother of harlots." She has traded much of the Word of God for her traditions.

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, COME OUT OF HER MY PEOPLE, that ye be not partakers of her sins ("the transgression of the law" 1 John 3:4) and that ye receive not of HER PLAGUES. (Interesting)

"For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities." (lawlessness) Rev 18:4,5.

How do we "Come out?" By doing as the Bereans: "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of mind, searching the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so." Acts 17:11

In 2 Timothy 3:16 in the Greek, it reads, "Every Scripture is God breathed..." There is no life in tradition or opinion...only, in God's Word. When what is taught in my church doesn't line up with Scripture, I speak up...some like it, others don't. But, I must be faithful to God's Word.

We have misunderstood grace:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I love; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Ga 2:20

"What shall we say then? SHALL WE CONTINUE IN SIN ("the transgression of the law") that grace may abound? How shall we, that are dead to sin live any longer therein?" Rom 6:1

The Apostle Paul states that if we sin in the law, we shall be judged by the law. "For not the hearers of the law are just before God, BUT THE DOERS OF THE LAW SHALL BE JUSTIFIED." Rom 2:12,13

Our allegiance must be to God's Word, alone. The denominational system, has strayed away from God's Word.

Jesus said, "Not every one that SAITH, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that DOETH the will of My Father which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord,Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity." (lawlessness)

"And hereby we do know that we know Him IF we keep His commandments. He that saith, I KNOW HIM and keepeth not His commandments, is a LIAR and the Truth is not in him. BUT WHOSO KEEPETH HIS WORD, IN HIM VERILY IS THE LOVE OF GOD PERFECTED: hereby we do know that we are in Him. He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:3-6

Here again, we see the law equated with His Word.

Even in heaven, the Lord makes quite a statement about His Covenant:

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple The Ark of His Testament: and there were LIGHTNINGS, and VOICES, and THUNDERINGS, and AN EARTHQUAKE, and GREAT HAIL." Rev 11:19

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14

Again, Covenants have conditions.
  4. You should do a study on grace. Understanding this is the key to a Chrisitan walk.
    Jesus gave only a few commands. The Holy Spirit is to lead and guise us in all truth and if we follow Him in complete submission (like Jesus did) then we will have fulfilled all God's commands.
  5. Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Justifacation is by faith my friend. if you strive to keep the law you are automatically condemned by it.

Rom 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Rom 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
    Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
  6. There are 613 laws according to bible, out of 613 , 365 negative and 248 is positive.

613 = 6+1+3= 10(Ten commandments)

22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy
    heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
    22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as
    22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

One Law

16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be​
    saved, and thy house.
  7. Amen...when Jesus gave us the "Two Greatest Commandments," He was quoting the law. Deut 6:5;Lev 19:18

When we keep the first four of the Ten Commandments, we demonstrate love for God. When we keep the last six, we demonstrate love for others.

In Heb 10:29 the Holy Spirit is called the "Spirit of Grace." When we walk in His Spirit, we do not sin.

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

And ye know that He was manifested TO TAKE AWAY OUR SINS; and in Him is no sin.

WHOSOEVER ABIDETH IN HIM SINNETH NOT:whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him NOR KNOWN HIM (as in Matt 7:21-23).

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

He that committeth sin is of the Devil; for the Devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose was the Son of God manifested, that He might destroy the works of the Devil.

(Jesus died to set us free from sin.)

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the Devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not His brother." 1 John 3.

"What shall we say then? SHALL WE CONTINUE IN SIN THAT GRACE MAY ABOUND? God forbid. How shall we that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" Rom 6:1

If we CONTINUE IN SIN, ("the transgression of the law" 1 John 3:4) we will not enter into the Kingdom of God. That is what Jesus says, in Matthew 7:21-23.

The new creation does not sin. It is when we fall back on the old ways, that, we sin.

The Apostle Paul told Timothy, ""I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with PURE CONSCIENCE..." 2 Tim 1:3

I serve Him with a pure conscience, because I love every Word in Scripture. If I sin, I trust the Holy Spirit to reveal it to me, and I will repent and be changed into His image. That is what "sanctification" is all about.
  8. what I heard once was that what is nailed to the cross are all the laws except the 10 commandments.
    that would make perfect sense to me according to what everything Jesus said and did and followed. He didn't sacrifice sacrifices to God but gave Himself, as we are to give ourselves. all of you say that we must follow Christ.
    then follow what He did in the NT about following all the 10 commandments, including the Sabbath.
  9. Amen!

In Matt 24:20, Jesus prophesied, that, the Sabbath would be kept during The Great Tribulation, and we are not there, yet.

Isaiah prophesied, that, we will keep the Sabbath in His Kingdom:

"For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before Me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before Me, saith the Lord." Isa 66:22,23
  10. The Sabbath was a type and shadow of the real which is Jesus Christ. He is my Sabbath rest. In Him I rest from my own labour and in Him I find communion with God , in Him I can do the work of a priest.:)
  11. I am not disputing that we serve our God. I am stating that (in my case it is done as I walk in the Spirit who leads and guides me in all truth and righteousness. I (personally) do not follow rules but instead follow Him who leads me into the center of His will- that of course will not violate those same rules.
    Others make seek to serve Him through following regulations.
    There are many so many "flavors" in the body. There are so many different ways of understanding , so many levels of maturity, each church (and individual) seems to have a particular focus on a particluar part of the Word- I am simply offering mine. As yours and mine differ in some ways I thought it good to present a different aspect of walking with God.
    Either way Jesus is Lord and to be served out of a loving and obediant heart.
    Much love in Christ, brother Larry.
  12. The Sabbath should not even be a Law it should be part of our lifestyle!
    if we really love Him with all our hearts we'll realize that He sanctified that day above all even before giving the Law to Moses and before Abraham and before Noah!

Genesis 2
    1 Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
  13. So that makes you a person who believes in Saturday as your day of worship- nothing wrong with that.
    For me that is still but a shadow of Christ in whom I find my rest but we can agree to dissagree and still be brothers can we not?:)
  14. If He is your Lord, you will obey Him and keep the Sabbath holy. If not, you are a transgressor of the law.

Keeping the Ten Commandments is not optional.

""Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW." 1 John 3:4

The Jews added hundreds of rules and regulations to the keeping of the Sabbath. Jesus did not defer to their tradition, but kept God's law, completely.

How did Jesus keep the Sabbath? By worshiping the Father and meeting human need.
  15. Don't think I am sticking up for Rome here, and many actually have Sat. mass, but for 95% of churches that have Sabbath on Sunday. In the old Testament it was 'keep the Sabbath Day.' In the New Testament is is 'keep the Sabbath Holy'

Adventists teach you have to keep the day as in the Old Testament, and that the day matters more than what you do to honor the Lord.

Deuteronmy 5:12
    'Observe the sabbath day to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you.

Exodus 16:23 then he said to them, "This is what the LORD meant: Tomorrow is a sabbath observance, a holy sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning."

Exodus 20:8 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Exodus 31:13 "But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.

Mark 2:27 Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

The Pharisees were saying to Him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?" And He said to them, "Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions became hungry; how he entered the house of God in the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the consecrated bread, which is not lawful for anyone to eat except the priests, and he also gave it to those who were with him? Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man (Jesus) is Lord even of the Sabbath." Mark 2:24-28

We are justified by faith, the new covenant is better. If we are under the law, we are justified by the law, in which case we would be under a curse, but if we walk by the Spirit, we fulfill the Law, seeking not to be justified in anything we have done, but in what Christ has done, that He lived a perfect sinless life in order to justify us; the sinners, whom He came to save, not those who think they were righteous in their own merits and law-keeping, we know however, we have been born of Him if we now have faith and obedience to evidence the Spirits work in circumcising our hearts.
  16. Rom 16:26 refers to "the obedience of faith."

"Even so, faith if it hath not works is dead, being alone.

Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe and tremble.

But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Was not Abraham our father (Ga 3:7,29) JUSTIFIED BY WORKS, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

And the Scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed to him for righteousness: and he was called the friend of God.

Ye see then how that BY WORKS a man is justified, and NOT BY FAITH ONLY...For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." James 2.

There is no true faith, without works.

Jesus referred to Himself, as the "Lord of the Sabbath." Mt 12:8;Mk 2:28; Lu 6:5. Sunday was called, "The Lord's Day," in sun worship, common in the Roman Empire. Do you worship the sun god? or our Creator?

Again, if you do not obey any of His commandments, you are a transgressor of the law, and will be judged by the law. Rom 2:12
  17. Things to study and discern;

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith {q} of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall {r} no flesh be justified. Gal 2:16

Galatians 2:16 Bible Commentary

{5} (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be {h} justified. Romans 2:13

Romans 2:13 Bible Commentary
  18. The children of Israel, Jesus, His disciples, and the New Testament Christians kept the Sabbath. "He that saith he abideth in Him, ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6

The Sabbath was made for man...we are to rest, worship the Father and meet human need, as He did on the Sabbath.

As I have stated, in Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts, "statutes, "testimonies"...

When we walk in His Spirit, He fulfills the law through us.

The New Covenant is His Covenant engraved in our hearts and minds. Jer 31:31-34; Heb 8:10.

According to Galatians 3, we are true Israel.
  19. 25For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

26Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
    27And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
    28For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Seek to be justified by keeping the law and you are under a curse, if you follow the Spirit you are under grace and will keep the law. You are justified by faith, by His grace. If you can be justified apart from Christ, you are under a curse. Yes, faith without works is dead, a saving faith, by the grace of God alone,( not by works of righteousness), will be evidenced the good works for which you were prepared in Christ before-hand - to WALK in them. We are led by the Spirit if God's seed abides in us, we receive the Spirit by God's will - without being born again and receiving Spiritual life, we are dead, and dead in our sins performing dead works. Christ came to justify us by bearing our sins and giving us faith in Him. Do we obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus?
  20. You are confusing the Ceremonial law with the fourth commandment.

Circumcision is now of the heart.

The Old Covenant was the Ten Commandment Covenant. Deut 4:13;Ex 34:28. It was based upon the promise of the people. Ex 24:7. The New Covenant is the same Covenant engraved in our hearts and minds.

"But this shall be the Covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; after those days, saith the Lord, I will put My law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." Jer 31:31-34; Ezek 36:26,27; Mt 26:28; Heb 8:10 - An internal Covenant. (Again, that is why Jesus said, that if a man looks upon a woman to lust, he has, already, committed adultery with her in his heart. Or, if we are angry with our brother without cause, we are in danger of the judgment. Mt 5: 22,28)

WHO is He speaking of? Paul answers, "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made, He saith not, And to thy seeds as of many: but as of one, And to Thy seed which is Christ." "And if ye be Christ's, then are YE Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Ga 3:16,29; 26:5

"For he is not a Jew, who is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." Rom 2:28,29

The promises were made through Abraham to the children of promise (Rom 9:6-8), who are justified by faith - whether Jew or Gentile.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.