The Importance of Repentance

Note: In the OT, "repentance" with reference to sin is not so prominent as that change of mind or purpose, out of pity for those who have been affected by one's action, or in whom the results of the action have not fulfilled expectations, a "repentance" attributed both to God and to man, e.g., Gen_6:6; Exo_32:14 (that this does not imply anything contrary to God's immutability, but that the aspect of His mind is changed toward an object that has itself changed, see under RECONCILE).
In the NT the subject chiefly has reference to "repentance" from sin, and this change of mind involves both a turning from sin and a turning to God. The parable of the Prodigal Son is an outstanding illustration of this. Christ began His ministry with a call to "repentance," Mat_4:17

This is what the bible says;
Act 20:21Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Biblicall repentance is a total change of mind towards God (Jer 29:13And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart.)no matter what it may cost the person who is turning. Faith is taking that heart (spirit) and placing it totally on Jesus Christ accepting Him as Lord (Master) to obey in all He commands.
Luk 6:46And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Jesus NEVER said to repent of sin. The reason is that this would be works. Many people turn from whhat they think is sin to get right withh God but never reallly surrender their hearts to God. Thatt is why Jesus never said repent of sin. He simply said repent which means change your mind about or towards God and to do that it takes a total surrender in the heart to him no matter what He requires.

Well...what does "Repent" mean ,freedfromdestruction? Repent from what?
From my understanding, repentance MEANS to turn away from one's SINS.

You and will have to disagree about what your bible says- I believe repentance form sin is a cornerstone of the christian faith and you don't. It's ok - if we disagree over interpetation on the small stuff as long as we are born again we are brethren.:D

In the NT the subject chiefly has reference to "repentance" from sin, and this change of mind involves both a turning from sin and a turning to God. The parable of the Prodigal Son is an outstanding illustration of this. Christ began His ministry with a call to "repentance," Mat_4:17
user_online.gif

Yes brother .... This is what repentance is all about.

Luke 5:32
I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

This is not small. To missunderstand this makes someone not saved. There is not several ways to God. If we do not understand repentance then we cannot be saved.

You and will have to disagree about what your bible says- I believe repentance form sin is a cornerstone of the christian faith and you don't. It's ok - if we disagree over interpetation on the small stuff as long as we are born again we are brethren.:D

I am saved by grace thru faith in my Lord's redeeming sacrifice, the road that brought me to Him was the drawing of love and repentance of heart-At this time I am going to excuse myself from this discussion- I pray God's blessing on each and everyone of you- your brother Larry

Even in the OT Repentance meant turning from ones sins.

1 Kings 8:47
and if they have a change of heart in the land where they are held captive, and repent and plead with you in the land of their conquerors and say, 'We have sinned, we have done wrong, we have acted wickedly';

2 Chronicles 6:37
and if they have a change of heart in the land where they are held captive, and repent and plead with you in the land of their captivity and say, 'We have sinned, we have done wrong and acted wickedly';

2 Chronicles 32:26
Then Hezekiah repented of the pride of his heart, as did the people of Jerusalem; therefore the LORD's wrath did not come upon them during the days of Hezekiah.

In the NT Repentance remains the same ... turning from sin and accepting Jesus Christ.
Luke 15:7
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

Luke 15:10
In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

Luke 5:32
I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Matthew 7:14
But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it

When I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour I had to come to the realization that I was a sinner because of being born that way. I had to repent of my Sins and Jesus being a just God forgave me of my sins. He said they are wiped clean and are gone as far as the east is from the west.

That is not to say that I still don't sin but daily , I repent, read the Word and pray. So in other words , I turned from worldly things and now my focus is on heaven because I am promised a home there with my Lord and Saviour. I am in the world but not of the world. Good works don't cut it. There are many people who do good works but if they don't repent they will not enter the Kingdom of God.

Freedom,

I'm interested to understand your point of view a little better. I don't understand your concern with the interpretations listed and find it a bit on the legalistic side, though I'm pretty sure that's just because I don't understand what you're saying...

What exactly is your claim, not so much in the wording, but in the general spirit of the scripture discussed?

Peace:jesus-cross:

Remind me, God, to remember that every member of my family (here at cfs) is different from me and from each other. Help me to accept them as they are. Amen.

It's okay to drink like a fish if you drink what the fish drinks.;)

Hi all

I get the point of the original post - that cleaning our hearts must accompany accepting Christ.

One thing I have come to strongly believe is that we do not repent of what we have done so much as repent of what we are.

Thus a person with an outwardly squeaky-clean life who has hardly broken a commandment needs to fall on his face and cry out to God to save him from what he is - a normal, selfish, unconcerned about others, materialistic, comfort-seeking, God-ignoring, useless-to-God human being.

Even if you are Paul-of-Tarsus, you have much to repent of - on a daily basis. Paul was not lying when he cried out "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? " (Rom 7:12). Note - not, "O wretched man that I WAS". Romans 8:7-8 "Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. "

If you are "in the flesh" then you "cannot please God". By "in the flesh" Paul means, "alive and breathing". Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: " This does not just apply to the unconverted heart.

Thus, everyday, even the most spiritual Christians around, need to be careful not to pray as a Pharisee, but rather as a Publican.

Luke 18:11-13 "The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. 13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. "

This is a comment to a statement earlier in the conversation about how repentance and forgiveness are different.

It appears to me that the main difference is repentance is something we do while forgiveness(in terms of sin) is something God does.

This is a comment to a statement earlier in the conversation about how repentance and forgiveness are different.

It appears to me that the main difference is repentance is something we do while forgiveness(in terms of sin) is something God does.
Thank you! I never thought of it like that before. I have to say that I agree with you.

:smile_anim::smile_anim::smile_anim:

jesus died for our sins,accepting jesus as your salvation and doing what God commands .accepting ourselves as being sinners who are not perfect,asking for help from jesus God and the holy spirit.so what makes us ok with jesus.we need to repent just as jesus says ,change of heart etc.so asking for forgiveness for being bad is repenting of sins.i do agree with freedom that we shouldn,t repent then carry on the same.we read learn ask God for help in prayer,and God does answer.we recieve the holy spirit,which tells us messages.:read-bible:

That is incorrect. Asking forgiveness is not repenting. The bible says too repent towards God. That means that we turn totally to God with all our heart. That is repentance.

jesus died for our sins,accepting jesus as your salvation and doing what God commands .accepting ourselves as being sinners who are not perfect,asking for help from jesus God and the holy spirit.so what makes us ok with jesus.we need to repent just as jesus says ,change of heart etc.so asking for forgiveness for being bad is repenting of sins.i do agree with freedom that we shouldn,t repent then carry on the same.we read learn ask God for help in prayer,and God does answer.we recieve the holy spirit,which tells us messages.:read-bible:

Because repentance is turning to God, not asking forgiveness. Yes we come because we are broken over our sin, but many people ask forgiveness of God and never repent. They are two totally different things. Also I never said that we do not have to repent and can carry on the same way of life. You need to ask forgiveness for this lie.

Turning from sin is the result of repentance not repentance itself.

where does our statements differ.?

When your asking for forgiveness you are repenting of your sins....... Clear as mud.!!!! because when I ask the Lord to forgive me , I am also asking Him to forgive me of the things that I did wrong or sinned ,.so I am repenting of my sins. The two go together.

That's way I understand it and can't put it any other way. so that's it for me . Thanks. Bottom line repentance is for the forgiveness of our sins.

Mark 1:4
And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 24:47
and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 2:38
Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19
Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Repent and Believe the gospel

"repent of your sin". Jesus never said that.You are adding to scripture. It is not in the scripture.

greetings,

Consider the following:

Who is the Word according to John 1? We know that there is but One God, yet three persons. The whole of the Bible is inspired of God. Is Christ Jesus God? Act: 2:38. "repent ...for the remission of sins." That is certainly inspired of the one true God, who is Christ Jesus through the Holy Spirit.

Although ...., I may understand what you're trying to say? Jesus Christ says in Mark 1:15, "... Repent, [you need a change of mind], and believe the gospel."

I do not believe anyone can repent of their own sins, it's only by beholding the cross of Christ can we be melted into accepting His death for us and it is He who continually gives us the gift of repentance and the result is Him working in us, to change our motives and thoughts.

There are too many who are "trying to repent of their sins" and have no success, that's because they have not allowed the power of Christ (He is the gospel), and Him crucified to take control of their lives. There is a great difference between "repent of your sin" vs. "Repent FOR THE forgiveness of sin." My repentance is directed towards a person, namely, Christ Jesus, not at my sin.

John

Back