The Importance of Repentance

Again you add to scripture and it comes with condemnation.

Rev 9:20And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

but on kjv revelation9:20

Perhaps I am not getting the point of dispute here- Jesus said to repent- do you really think He wasn't talking about sinful lifestyles and habits? Am I missing something?
An old friend of mine once told me to " read the red and pray to receive His power"- your brother Larry

I love the Vines Expository Dictionatry of the New testament because it not only lists the definitions of the words in the origianl laguage but it is also very specific as to which menaing fits each particular nerse and it's grammatic composition- below is what Vines says on the matter ( located towards the bottom)- and if we still disagree let us respectfully agree to disagree as brethren in Christ may doL

Repent, Repentance
<A-1,Verb,3340,metanoeo>
lit., "to perceive afterwards" (meta, "after," implying "change," noeo, "to perceive;" nous, "the mind, the seat of moral reflection"), in contrast to pronoeo, "to perceive beforehand," hence signifies "to change one's mind or purpose," always, in the NT, involving a change for the better, an amendment, and always, except in
Luk_17:3-4, of "repentance" from sin. The word is found in the Synoptic Gospels (in Luke, nine times), in Acts five times, in the Apocalypse twelve times, eight in the messages to the churches, Rev_2:5 (twice), Rev_2:16, Rev_2:21 (twice), RV, "she willeth not to repent" (2nd part); Rev_3:3, Rev_3:19 (the only churches in those chapters which contain no exhortation in this respect are those at Smyrna and Philadelphia); elsewhere only in 2Co_12:21. See also the general Note below.
<A-2,Verb,3338,metamelomai>
meta, as in No. 1, and melo, "to care for," is used in the Passive Voice with the Middle Voice sense, signifying "to regret, to
repent oneself," Mat_21:29, RV, "repented himself;" Mat_21:32, RV, "ye did (not) repent yourselves" (AV, "ye repented not"); Mat_27:3, "repented himself" 2Co_7:8 (twice), RV, "regret" in each case; Heb_7:21, where alone in the NT it is said (negatively) of God.
<B-1,Adjective,278,ametameletos>
"not repented of, unregretted" (a, negative, and a verbal adjective of A, No. 2), signifies "without change of purpose;" it is said (a) of God in regard to his "gifts and calling,"
Rom_11:29; (b) of man, 2Co_7:10, RV, "[repentance (metanoia, see C)] ... which bringeth no regret" (AV, "not to be repented of"); the difference between metanoia and metamelomai, illustrated here, is briefly expressed in the contrast between "repentance" and "regret."
<C-1,Noun,3341,metanoia>
"afterthought, change of mind, repentance," corresponds in meaning to A, No. 1, and is used of "repentance" from sin or evil, except in
Heb_12:17, where the word "repentance" seems to mean, not simply a change of Isaac's mind, but such a change as would reverse the effects of his own previous state of mind. Esau's birthright-bargain could not be recalled; it involved an irretrievable loss. As regards "repentance" from sin, (a) the requirement by God on man's part is set forth, e.g., in Mat_3:8; Luk_3:8; Act_20:21; Act_26:20; (b) the mercy of God in giving "repentance" or leading men to it is set forth, e.g., in Act_5:31; Act_11:18; Rom_2:4; 2Ti_2:25. The most authentic mss. omit the word in Mat_9:13; Mar_2:17, as in the RV.
Note: In the OT, "repentance" with reference to sin is not so prominent as that change of mind or purpose, out of pity for those who have been affected by one's action, or in whom the results of the action have not fulfilled expectations, a "repentance" attributed both to God and to man, e.g.,
Gen_6:6; Exo_32:14 (that this does not imply anything contrary to God's immutability, but that the aspect of His mind is changed toward an object that has itself changed, see under RECONCILE).
In the NT the subject chiefly has reference to "repentance" from sin, and this change of mind involves both a turning from sin and a turning to God. The parable of the Prodigal Son is an outstanding illustration of this. Christ began His ministry with a call to "repentance,"
Mat_4:17, but the call is addressed, not as in the OT to the nation, but to the individual. In the Gospel of John, as distinct from the Synoptic Gospels, referred to above, "repentance" is not mentioned, even in connection with John the Baptist's preaching; in John's Gospel and 1st Epistle the effects are stressed, e.g., in the new birth, and, generally, in the active turning from sin to God by the exercise of faith (Joh_3:3; Joh_9:38; 1Jo_1:9), as in the NT in general.

In His Name and with His love- brother Larry

"repent of your sin". Jesus never said that.You are adding to scripture. It is not in the scripture.

Matthw 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

What does Jesus mean in these scripture when He says "repent?" Repent of what? I believe He means repent of our sins. What else is there to repent of?

Well...what does "Repent" mean ,freedfromdestruction? Repent from what?
From my understanding, repentance MEANS to turn away from one's SINS.

Matthew 3:8
Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.

Matthew 3:11
"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Mark 1:4
And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 3:3
He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 3:8
Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.

Luke 5:32
I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Repentance......is the process of changing one's mind.Human repentance is a change for the better and is a conscious turning from evil or disobedience or sin or idolatry to the living God.

REpentance..... is a profound change of mind involving the changing of direction of life.The positive side of repentance is conversion, the actual turning to God or Christ for grace.

Back