The glory of God....

I was looking into the "glory of God" on my esword and found 371 references throughout the bible. I wanted to understand "glory" better so I look forward to posts here.

I was looking into the "glory of God" on my esword and found 371 references throughout the bible. I wanted to understand "glory" better so I look forward to posts here.
I think this subject would be very profound....

God's glory!?...could have to do with His majesty, also, somenthing that only He is capable of doing?!..

This subject is extremely vast...

God bless Sis! I am trying to find time to go back to the study of Daniel!

Big hug!

Here's what GLORY means in Hebrew:

- Original: כּבד כּבוד
- Transliteration: Kabowd
- Phonetic: kaw-bode'
- Definition:
1. glory, honour, glorious, abundance
a. abundance, riches
b. honour, splendour, glory
c. honour, dignity
d. honour, reputation
e. honour, reverence, glory
f. glory
- Origin: from H3513
- Part(s) of speech: Noun Masculine

And the H3513 is:

- Original: כּבד כּבד
- Transliteration: Kabad
- Phonetic: kaw-bad'
- Definition:
1. to be heavy, be weighty, be grievous, be hard, be rich, be honourable, be glorious, be burdensome, be honoured
a. (Qal)
1. to be heavy
2. to be heavy, be insensible, be dull
3. to be honoured
b. (Niphal)
1. to be made heavy, be honoured, enjoy honour, be made abundant
2. to get oneself glory or honour, gain glory
c. (Piel)
1. to make heavy, make dull, make insensible
2. to make honourable, honour, glorify
d. (Pual) to be made honourable, be honoured
e. (Hiphil)
1. to make heavy
2. to make heavy, make dull, make unresponsive
3. to cause to be honoured
f. (Hithpael)
1. to make oneself heavy, make oneself dense, make oneself numerous
2. to honour oneself
- Origin: a primitive root
- Part(s) of speech: Verb

The letter meanings are: כּבוד Open hand, in, nail, door

How about that!! Glory describes Jesus and what He did for us!!

Revelation 5:13 (KJV)
And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, [be] unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

What struck me in the definitions given by Abdicate, as a side note, was that the Higgs-Bosun (aka the God Particle) discovered in the super collider in Zurich is said to "give substance" to other particles, making them heavier. And it's almost a description that matches the Hebrew definition of glory.

The references to glory in Genesis (KJV) are:
Gen_31:1 And he heard the words of Laban's sons, saying, Jacob hath taken away all that was our father's; and of that which was our father's hath he gotten all this glory.
Gen_45:13 And ye shall tell my father of all my glory in Egypt, and of all that ye have seen; and ye shall haste and bring down my father hither.

And then comes the Exodus verses:

Exo_8:9 And Moses said unto Pharaoh, Glory over me: when shall I intreat for thee, and for thy servants, and for thy people, to destroy the frogs from thee and thy houses, that they may remain in the river only?
Exo_16:7 And in the morning, then ye shall see the glory of the LORD; for that he heareth your murmurings against the LORD: and what are we, that ye murmur against us?
Exo_16:10 And it came to pass, as Aaron spake unto the whole congregation of the children of Israel, that they looked toward the wilderness, and, behold, the glory of the LORD appeared in the cloud.
Exo_24:16 And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud.
Exo_24:17 And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel.
Exo_28:2 And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty.
Exo_28:40 And for Aaron's sons thou shalt make coats, and thou shalt make for them girdles, and bonnets shalt thou make for them, for glory and for beauty.
Exo_29:43 And there I will meet with the children of Israel, and the tabernacle shall be sanctified by my glory.
Exo_33:18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.
Exo_33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
Exo_40:34 Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle.
Exo_40:35 And Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation, because the cloud abode thereon, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle.

The references to glory in Genesis (KJV) are:
Gen_31:1 And he heard the words of Laban's sons, saying, Jacob hath taken away all that was our father's; and of that which was our father's hath he gotten all this glory.
Gen_45:13 And ye shall tell my father of all my glory in Egypt, and of all that ye have seen; and ye shall haste and bring down my father hither.

So, I was thinking...the first mention of glory is about brothers-in-laws of Jacob complaining that Jacob has taken their father, Laban's, glory. They are implying Jacob has no rights to his wives and children and livestock but he worked in Laban's service for years for these very things. Jacob fled without a by your leave from Laban, taking his possessions and Laban chases after. And I don't quite get why Rachel stole her father's gods. Glory here seems to be meaning riches/abundance. Reading in context from gen 29:1 - gen 36:1, I picked up that Laban only prospered because of Jacob and yet Laban seems to feel that everything still belongs to him. Scattered thought - others benefit from the reflection given off by God's favorites. There are lots of favorites shown in these passage. Jacob favored Rachel over Leah and later favored Joseph.

Back