1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

The Fear Of The Lord

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rusty, Apr 4, 2013.

1. I've heard so many sermons, platitudes and theories about this and saw one recently here on the forum, so I have started this thread to explore that and keep the other thread from getting bogged down.

Let's hear what members think this actually means.

2. This does make for a good discussion, there is so much we learn about God on this subject.
    The best verse explaining the need to fear God would be Matthew 10:28.

Many take that verse and assume that God is now best paralleled to a watchdog / policeman waiting to put us on death-row. But that picture and similarly, Pascals wager do not do God justice.

We need to take Matt 10:28 and add verses like 2 Pet 3:9, John 3:16, Psalm 136:1, Jonah 4:11. We then find that God is better paralleled to a loving Father, that doesn’t want to see His children leave Him and bring destruction upon themselves.

Or just use common sense and grasp that when we sin ,we are not immediately sent to hell. God's tolerance with someone like Hitler, speaks volumes of His patience and longsuffering with all of us.

As Christians we must respect all who are God-fearing. As being 'God-fearing' is a position we take as opposed to being un-Godly. We choose to fear God. We choose to be mindful of what upsets Him. We choose this knowing that he is compassionate as Jonah pointed out in Jonah 4:2 He prayed to the LORD, "Isn't this what I said, LORD, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity.

3. I think it means God is the God of cancer and viruses and punishment in hell every bit as much as He's the God of love and mercy. Remember what Jesus said, "Don't fear those who can kill the body; fear the one who can destroy the body and the soul." I'm paraphrasing there. But the point still stands: God is the God of the insect kingdom as well as the United Nations.

The idea is that we stay on His good side. We should fear God because we cannot stand against Him, and He's created us for a purpose in Christ.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Lifeasweknowit likes this.
  4. Reverence: do we have a proper "respect" for the Lord? To 'fear' is to give proper acknowledgement to the THE Holy, Righteous, Just, Merciful, Graceful, Longsuffering, Patient, Loving Creator-God.

AND know that God is Almighty, Powerful, 'Terrible' (Awesome) and Capable of pouring out devastation.

'If you love me, you will obey my commandments'

http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/the-doctrine-of-separation.34679/

5. Yes...I've heard all these ideas before. These all may be true, or may be grossly misapplied, as anyone who has studied the theology of Hitler as I have can know.

However all of these ideas are pointed toward oneself, one's "survival"after death and not what I see God focusing on throughout the Bible:

6. As others here have mentioned, "respect" is the proper term and fear was just the easiest translation.
    We must remember who God is and our relationship to Him.
    Too many think of Him as a Buddy, Celestial bellhop, or "He who gets me out of jams".
    He is the Eternal God, the Creator, and is due all respect and honor.
    The generally understanding of the term "fear" ignores the relationship that we are to
    have with Him once we have surrendered and accepted His grace.

Major and Dirtyrottensinner say Amen and like this.
  7. I think my point, Glo, was not merely the establishment of "relationship" but the fruits of it.

8. Well, I fear Him. I've seen what He can do.

But I love Him, too, because I've experienced what He will do for those who seek after Him.

9. Sometimes, I admit that I feel the fear of the Lord more than His love. Can you believe how powerful He is and what He is capable of doing? Think about the magnitude of Love He has for us. Surely His anger is beyond our imagination. I feel that Hell is worse than anything we could ever envision, just as His love is greater than we could ever comprehend.

To fear the Lord is to love the Lord for all he has done and is capable of doing.

10. I think those who are afraid of God may be afraid of hell, not God...or have a uncertain relationship to Him.

Look at the Scriptures above....the righteous need not be afraid...those that seek Him need not be afraid....Read and be comforted!