The Bible Speaks Of Only One Way To Eternal Salvation

(1John 3:4) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. Now we have just read the biblical definition of sin, the transgression (breaking) of the law (commandments.) It doesn’t matter what you or I think sin is, it’s what God says sin is that counts. So sin fits in to those who do the opposite of what the Lord tell them to do. Exodus 20th chapter

Tan, Adam & Eve had a choice "Is what I know about God enough to trust what I do not know about God?" In other words, when tempted they had to decided if it was God's character to withhold goodness from them. Either what they knew about God, His creativity, His love of beauty, His provision for their needs, was enough for them to be able to trust His heart or it wasn't.

Aren't we saying the same thing???

Sin proceeded the Mosaic Law. There goes the argument that if there is no Law there is no sin. 20 generation to Noah and how many to Moses? Your argument is specious no matter how you twist and slice it. And ALL flesh (except Christ) is tainted with original sin. Upholding any law will not save anyone.

Tan, Adam & Eve had a choice "Is what I know about God enough to trust what I do not know about God?" In other words, when tempted they had to decided if it was God's character to withhold goodness from them. Either what they knew about God, His creativity, His love of beauty, His provision for their needs, was enough for them to be able to trust His heart or it wasn't.

Aren't we saying the same thing???

But God’s holy commandments have been around forever even before man was created. Remember that Satan was kicked out of heaven because iniquity (sin) was found in him. And what is sin? The transgression of the law (commandments)

Sin proceeded the Mosaic Law. There goes the argument that if there is no Law there is no sin. 20 generation to Noah and how many to Moses? Your argument is specious no matter how you twist and slice it. And ALL flesh (except Christ) is tainted with original sin. Upholding any law will not save anyone.

Again... God’s holy commandments have been around forever even before man was created. Remember that Satan was kicked out of heaven because iniquity (sin) was found in him. And what is sin? The transgression of the law (commandments)

But God’s holy commandments have been around forever even before man was created. Remember that Satan was kicked out of heaven because iniquity (sin) was found in him. And what is sin? The transgression of the law (commandments)

Agreed!

Remember now that it was your question about the law that brought that thought, and now you are confirms that answer. GREAT!

You asked me......
" Before what law was given?"

And my response was....
"By the Word of God" (Comment 102).

I believe that we are on the same page!

Agreed!

Remember now that it was your question about the law that brought that thought, and now you are confirms that answer. GREAT!

You asked me......
" Before what law was given?"

And my response was....
"By the Word of God" (Comment 102).

I believe that we are on the same page!

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I'm saying that God (Jesus) had the commandments was before man. When the Lord instituted the Priesthood, the Lord added a law which was the animal sacrificial law, through Moses.

Paul explained this in; (Heb.10:1, 9-10,18,26-27) (v.1) For the law (what law, the law of animal sacrifice?) having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. (v.9) Then said he, (Jesus) Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first that he may establish the second. (v.10) By which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. When Jesus died on the cross that was the end of the first covenant, which consisted of the blood of animals and the keeping of God’s commandments. And his death also brought in the second covenant, which consist of the blood of Jesus and the keeping of God’s commandments. (v.18) Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. In other words, no more animals are going to die for your sins. (v.26) For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.
Now do we understand what’s being said here? If you sin willfully after you have knowledge of what the truth is, no more animals are going to die for you. (v.27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Now if you are being deceived into believing that once you are under God’s grace you no longer have to keep his commandments, all you have to look forward to is the day of judgement and the lake of fire (fiery indignation).

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I'm saying that God (Jesus) had the commandments was before man. When the Lord instituted the Priesthood, the Lord added a law which was the animal sacrificial law, through Moses.

Paul explained this in; (Heb.10:1, 9-10,18,26-27) (v.1) For the law (what law, the law of animal sacrifice?) having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. (v.9) Then said he, (Jesus) Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first that he may establish the second. (v.10) By which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. When Jesus died on the cross that was the end of the first covenant, which consisted of the blood of animals and the keeping of God’s commandments. And his death also brought in the second covenant, which consist of the blood of Jesus and the keeping of God’s commandments. (v.18) Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. In other words, no more animals are going to die for your sins. (v.26) For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.
Now do we understand what’s being said here? If you sin willfully after you have knowledge of what the truth is, no more animals are going to die for you. (v.27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Now if you are being deceived into believing that once you are under God’s grace you no longer have to keep his commandments, all you have to look forward to is the day of judgement and the lake of fire (fiery indignation).

I guess we are not one the same page. Instead of responding to your whole post, I think that I will simply speak to each of the verses you posted in Hebrews.

Heb. 10:1...........
The animal sacrifices are designated as a shadow of the one time only sacrifice of himself as an offering. The two are not of the same essence or image. The sacrifice of Christ is the reality of which the animals were a mere shadow.

The sacrificial system of the Old Test. was planned and ordained by God and it fulfilled its "TEMPORARY", IMPERFECT ROLE.
Those sacrifices could never make the believers perfect hence they had to be repeated continually.

The sacrifices under the Levitical system could not satisfy the claims of God's holiness and of His Holy Law and they were unable to meet the needs of those who brought the sacrifices. Those offerings could neither make peace with God nor give peace to the person because they did not make real atonement for sin. They could not cleanse the sinner but they were but a shadow of the real sacrifice of Christ which was to come.

Verses 9-10.........
"Then said he, (Jesus) Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first that he may establish the second. (v.10) By which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. "

The "first" speaks to the sacrifices and offerings in verse #8. The :second" alludes to the first portion of verse #9------
Christ coming to do the will of the Father.

The law was in effect from Moses to Christ, but HE brought a better hope by which we draw close to God, entering boldly into the holy of holies by a "new and living way". All that the prophets told us and the Psalmist declared became a reality in Christ Jesus......
"For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (John 1:17)

Until the coming of Christ in the fullness of time, there was a place in the economy of God for the Levitical sacrificial system. It was ordained to show man how sinful and guilty they were before a holy God. But when the Lamb of God appeared to take away the sin of the world, the shadows and types were lost in the glory of His presence!!! Therefore...........
"HE taketh away the first, that HE may establish the second".

Verse 10 is self explanatory. Jesus died "ONCE for all"!!! HE sat forth the completeness and eternal satisfaction of the sacrifice HE made in contrast with the sacrifices under the law which were repeated day after day after day.

(v.18) "Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin"

Verse #18 brings the entire argument to a climax. "THEREFORE".........there can be no further offering for sin and no further presentation of a sacrifice. The New Covenant does not call for a daily or yearly sacrifice. The divine need has been net!

God does not want His children to sin, BUT "If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous"
(1 John 2:1). Since John was writing to the church, then he had to have had believers in on his mind when he said "If any man sin".

Spiritually minded believers who are turely enjoying their spiritual birthright rest in this Divinely settled fact and walk daily in the light of the glory of God. We walk IN HIM who, after He had offered ONE sacrifice for sins forever, sat down on the right hand of God, there to officiate for us as our High Priest, Intercessor and Advocate!!!

(v.26) "For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins. "

The Holy Spirit warns those who have received the knowledge of the truth. This verse corresponds to that in chapter 6:4, concerning those who were "once enlightened".

The sin referred to here is the sin of willful apostasy, the willful abandoning of a professed faith. Those who had professed to accept Christianity, turning their backs on Judaism, had automatically turned their backs on the legal sacrifices for sin. Now, IF they abandoned Christianity, to return to Judaism, they HAD NO SACRICE AT ALL!!!!

There is no other sacrifice save the one sacrifice that Christ made and those guilty of turning their backs on His sacrifice could not find a second one. Such a person could then expect nothing but the wrath of God and Divine judgment.

The Greek word here translated "willfully" is a very strong word and it literally means...."DELIBERATELY".
In other words, the person in view has thought it through, weighed it, contemplated the results and settled it in his mind. This is NOT about a sudden impulse but a settled intentional sin.

So then, after turning from the sacrificial system, then reject Christ, there is no where else to turn, hence........
"There remaineth no more sacrifice for sins".

Now, all of that rests on the assumption that the people in view in Hebrews were genuinely born again. There is a big difference in receiving the knowledge of the truth, and receiving the FINISHED work of Christ by faith and thus being born of His Spirit.

To receive the knowledge is simply to have been educated. To receive the finished work of Christ is to be born again.

(v.27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

If there is another truth more profound than this one, I do not know what It is. The Word of God teaches us that there are differing degrees of torment in hell (Luke 12:48, Rev. 20:12). We then can be sure that God considers it even a greater sin to dishonor the blood of Jesus than to disobey the commandments written in stone!!!

The commandments were God's holy law, YES! BUT Jesus was God's only begotten Son and God gave Him up to die for the sins of the whole wide world. To demand, or expect to keep the commandments of the Law is then to dishonor the Lord Jesus Christ.

The commandments were God's holy law, YES! BUT Jesus was God's only begotten Son and God gave Him up to die for the sins of the whole wide world. To demand, or expect to keep the commandments of the Law is then to dishonor the Lord Jesus Christ.
I'm a little confused. The demand may be gone but as believers shouldn't we DESIRE and strive continually to follow God's commands?? Why wouldn't we? I realize we won't always do so but are we not called to live a holy life? These things not to BE saved but BECAUSE we are.

I'm a little confused. The demand may be gone but as believers shouldn't we DESIRE and strive continually to follow God's commands?? Why wouldn't we? I realize we won't always do so but are we not called to live a holy life? These things not to BE saved but BECAUSE we are.

Correct Lynn! We do not keep the Law to be saved or to stay saved, but instead we try to keep it because we are saved.
It is a product of salvation not a requirement to be saved. That way, the basis for obedience is rooted in love and not fear.

I guess we are not one the same page. Instead of responding to your whole post, I think that I will simply speak to each of the verses you posted in Hebrews.

Heb. 10:1...........
The animal sacrifices are designated as a shadow of the one time only sacrifice of himself as an offering. The two are not of the same essence or image. The sacrifice of Christ is the reality of which the animals were a mere shadow.

The sacrificial system of the Old Test. was planned and ordained by God and it fulfilled its "TEMPORARY", IMPERFECT ROLE.
Those sacrifices could never make the believers perfect hence they had to be repeated continually.

The sacrifices under the Levitical system could not satisfy the claims of God's holiness and of His Holy Law and they were unable to meet the needs of those who brought the sacrifices. Those offerings could neither make peace with God nor give peace to the person because they did not make real atonement for sin. They could not cleanse the sinner but they were but a shadow of the real sacrifice of Christ which was to come.

Verses 9-10.........
"Then said he, (Jesus) Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first that he may establish the second. (v.10) By which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. "

The "first" speaks to the sacrifices and offerings in verse #8. The :second" alludes to the first portion of verse #9------
Christ coming to do the will of the Father.

The law was in effect from Moses to Christ, but HE brought a better hope by which we draw close to God, entering boldly into the holy of holies by a "new and living way". All that the prophets told us and the Psalmist declared became a reality in Christ Jesus......
"For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (John 1:17)

Until the coming of Christ in the fullness of time, there was a place in the economy of God for the Levitical sacrificial system. It was ordained to show man how sinful and guilty they were before a holy God. But when the Lamb of God appeared to take away the sin of the world, the shadows and types were lost in the glory of His presence!!! Therefore...........
"HE taketh away the first, that HE may establish the second".

Verse 10 is self explanatory. Jesus died "ONCE for all"!!! HE sat forth the completeness and eternal satisfaction of the sacrifice HE made in contrast with the sacrifices under the law which were repeated day after day after day.

(v.18) "Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin"

Verse #18 brings the entire argument to a climax. "THEREFORE".........there can be no further offering for sin and no further presentation of a sacrifice. The New Covenant does not call for a daily or yearly sacrifice. The divine need has been net!

God does not want His children to sin, BUT "If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous"
(1 John 2:1). Since John was writing to the church, then he had to have had believers in on his mind when he said "If any man sin".

Spiritually minded believers who are turely enjoying their spiritual birthright rest in this Divinely settled fact and walk daily in the light of the glory of God. We walk IN HIM who, after He had offered ONE sacrifice for sins forever, sat down on the right hand of God, there to officiate for us as our High Priest, Intercessor and Advocate!!!
(v.26) "For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins. "

The Holy Spirit warns those who have received the knowledge of the truth. This verse corresponds to that in chapter 6:4, concerning those who were "once enlightened".

The sin referred to here is the sin of willful apostasy, the willful abandoning of a professed faith. Those who had professed to accept Christianity, turning their backs on Judaism, had automatically turned their backs on the legal sacrifices for sin. Now, IF they abandoned Christianity, to return to Judaism, they HAD NO SACRICE AT ALL!!!!

There is no other sacrifice save the one sacrifice that Christ made and those guilty of turning their backs on His sacrifice could not find a second one. Such a person could then expect nothing but the wrath of God and Divine judgment.

The Greek word here translated "willfully" is a very strong word and it literally means...."DELIBERATELY".
In other words, the person in view has thought it through, weighed it, contemplated the results and settled it in his mind. This is NOT about a sudden impulse but a settled intentional sin.

So then, after turning from the sacrificial system, then reject Christ, there is no where else to turn, hence........
"There remaineth no more sacrifice for sins".

Now, all of that rests on the assumption that the people in view in Hebrews were genuinely born again. There is a big difference in receiving the knowledge of the truth, and receiving the FINISHED work of Christ by faith and thus being born of His Spirit.

To receive the knowledge is simply to have been educated. To receive the finished work of Christ is to be born again.

(v.27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

If there is another truth more profound than this one, I do not know what It is. The Word of God teaches us that there are differing degrees of torment in hell (Luke 12:48, Rev. 20:12). We then can be sure that God considers it even a greater sin to dishonor the blood of Jesus than to disobey the commandments written in stone!!!

Are we to believe that as soon as we accept Jesus in our lives that our salvation is secure? Paul said in (Rom. 3:23-25) (v.23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. (v.24) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: (v.25) Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. So the bible tells you to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus. And by doing so you come up under his precious blood and then you are saved from your sins that are past, not present or future sins but for sins that are past.

We were all locked under death by Adam’s sin, even the second death. But when Jesus became (he was God in the beginning) man and died for the sins of the world, he gave us access back to the tree of life (himself) which Adam had caused us to lose. That’s what grace is, our free gift our access back to the tree of life but that’s another lesson for another time. So by coming under the blood of Jesus you are saved from your past sins. And if you are saved now, it is on a day to day basis. Because all have sinned, and if you continue to live you will sin again. It is the willful sinning that you need to put in check.

Correct Lynn! We do not keep the Law to be saved or to stay saved, but instead we try to keep it because we are saved.
It is a product of salvation not a requirement to be saved. That way, the basis for obedience is rooted in love and not fear.

Jesus said in Matthew 19: 16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Understand brothers and sisters that the Sabbath day on the seventh day of the week, is included in the commandments as well. So if one wants to enter into life keep the commandments (laws). Clean cut words from the Lord

So if one wants to enter into life keep the commandments (laws).

Tell me what you think of this. This is something I've been thinking about lately, after discussing with Messianic Jews how they see Christ as the "Living Torah":

My understanding of the way the term "Law" is used in the context of the whole Bible is that things which reflect the nature of God are "lawful," and things that contradict the nature of God are "unlawful." The written Torah is a snapshot of the nature of God, and it is an accurate reflection, but it's only part of the full picture.

Jesus has been revealed as the Law's Fulfillment, the Complete Nature of God, the Living Torah. The commandments were a shadow of the complete Torah, but Jesus is the substance of the Torah. So when we read the written Torah, we now read it by submitting to the teachings of Christ, as revealed through Himself and the NT writers, and not by the interpretations of it by the ancient Rabbis.

Col 2:16-17
16Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

For example, Paul says in Hebrews 4:9-10 "So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his."

And Jesus said in Mat 11:29-30, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

In the particular example of the Sabbath, the commandment in the OT was to rest on a particular day of the week. But that commandment was only a shadow of what was to come, and Jesus was the substance. So now, whoever "enters into God's rest" by finding rest in Jesus completely follows the fourth commandment, which doesn't just happen on one day, but every moment of every day.

Is there any reason that we shouldn't read the scriptures this way?

Jesus said in Matthew 19: 16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Understand brothers and sisters that the Sabbath day on the seventh day of the week, is included in the commandments as well. So if one wants to enter into life keep the commandments (laws). Clean cut words from the Lord

And if you read the rest of that story from verse 20 on, Jesus tells this say young man to sell everything he owns so that he can enter heaven.

So the lesson then by your understanding is that rich people cannot be saved.

Verse 23-26 then says that the disciples were shocked at that teaching...."Who then can be saved"?

This is what happens when the Bible is not correctly understood and we add into it what we want it to say.

Actually, the imperative "Keep the commandments" was intended to drive home to this young man the point of his pride, and self righteousness. Jesus did not believe that the mere keeping of the law brought anyone salvation.

He had already told Nicademous that in order to enter the kingdom of God.....He had to be born again. He did not tell Nicky that he then had to keep the commandments. So why did He say this to this man here????????

Last edited:
Paul said in (Rom. 3:23-25) (v.23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. (v.24) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: (v.25) Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. So the bible tells you to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus. And by doing so you come up under his precious blood and then you are saved from your sins that are past, not present or future sins but for sins that are past.

We were all locked under death by Adam’s sin, even the second death. But when Jesus became (he was God in the beginning) man and died for the sins of the world, he gave us access back to the tree of life (himself) which Adam had caused us to lose. That’s what grace is, our free gift our access back to the tree of life but that’s another lesson for another time. So by coming under the blood of Jesus you are saved from your past sins. And if you are saved now, it is on a day to day basis. Because all have sinned, and if you continue to live you will sin again. It is the willful sinning that you need to put in check.

"Are we to believe that as soon as we accept Jesus in our lives that our salvation is secure? "

Evidently YOU do not. I on the other DO! YES. The moment I believed upon and asked Jesus to be my Saviour I WAS SAVED!
Glory to God, because I am born again I am saved to the uttermost in Christ Jesus. I did not have to do anything to be saved and I do not have to do anything to stay saved. THAT MY FRIEND IS HOW GREAT GOD IS.

There are two views on this, the general Protestant Evangelical view is that once you "accept Jesus" you are "saved". If the person backlsides or becomes apostate, then (according to this view) he was "never really saved in the first place".
The Catholic and Orthodox view is that salvation is a process. Accepting Christ is just the beginning, you are actually required to "be a Christian' and walk the walk, not just talk. Those who do not behave as Christians are not saved regardless of their supposed "acceptance of Christ".

In both views you are supposed to behave as a Christian and not "just make a Christian sounding noise".

There are two views on this, the general Protestant Evangelical view is that once you "accept Jesus" you are "saved". If the person backlsides or becomes apostate, then (according to this view) he was "never really saved in the first place".
The Catholic and Orthodox view is that salvation is a process. Accepting Christ is just the beginning, you are actually required to "be a Christian' and walk the walk, not just talk. Those who do not behave as Christians are not saved regardless of their supposed "acceptance of Christ".

In both views you are supposed to behave as a Christian and not "just make a Christian sounding noise".

AMEN my brother!

I ate bacon this morning - does that mean I am not saved? Someone else is not circumsized - does that mean they can't be saved? Do you always separate dairy from your meat? Or do you observe all hygiene laws in the Mosaic law? The man hanging next to Christ on the cross was saved by believing in Christ. Or was that just a one time deal? Christ died on the cross for the remission of all sin, original, past, present and future. To say that if you don't tithe 10% or die, unconfessed, or don't go to church every Sabbath means you lose salvation? I don't think so. Should you always act like a "good" Christian? Yes. Do we? No. Does that mean you have lost God's love? Also no.

Back