The Basics Of Overcoming Satan

I need to say that Mitspa is correct in this: it does not refer to a pastor, but a messenger. Personally, I believe the messenger is not ONE individual, but ONE Ministry: the one with the offices of "...some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers." Five "offices": but one Ministry.

Mitspa: you have already challenged CB to basics by saying that he calls himself a pastor, and affirming the same in his own thoughts. Beloved, you ought not to do this. "Who are you that judges another man's servant?" Think about it.
I have spoken according to my conscience and have affirmed him and honored him enough to speak truth to him.

Again brother angel is not pastor , if some have through "tradition" implied this as the meaning? I would challenge that tradition and that form of translation is what has perverted much of what these terms bishop-overseer really mean. As far as your right to call yourself a pastor, I have not challenged that nor would I. It seems you have spent much time affirming your calling in your own thoughts? And I see you use statements as the one I have highlighted... I cannot imagine what scriptures you have drawn this from? And the fact that a group approves a man or calls him by a title is of little value unless God has called that man? Again Paul never taught us to seek titles and such and he often belittled this sort of efforts by religious men. He himself limited his authority to that which God had put under him.

1Co 3:5 ¶ Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one?
6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

2Co 3:1 ¶ Do we begin again to commend ourselves? Or do we need, as some others, epistles of commendation to you or letters of commendation from you?

Ga 1:10 ¶ For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.
Be natural; forget yourself; be so absorbed in what you are doing and in the realisation of the presence of God, and in the glory and the greatness of the Truth that you are preaching, and the occasion that brings you together...that you forget yourself completely. That is the right condition; that is the only place of safety; that is the only way in which you can honor God. Self is the greatest enemy of the preacher, more so than in the case of any other man in society. And the only way to deal with self is to be so taken up with, and so enraptured by, the glory of what you are doing, that you forget yourself altogether.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones quotes

Good evening from Scotland,

As some of you may know, I am a Pastor from Scotland and at the moment my wife and I are taking a more relaxed role due to the birth of our two new babies however we're getting more and more involved in our local assembly again and I've been preaching more and more. Tonight I'd just like to share with the readers here on CFS the basics of that message, I'm a lot more at ease preaching than I am writing a message but hopefully it might be a word in season for some....blessings...

There are many reasons as to why these attacks come and the scriptures speak very plainly of the ‘wiles of the devil’ as well as teachings on what our mindsets should be when these events occur but sometimes, it’s easier said than done. It’s this subject I’ll share tonight as teaching and hopefully it will encourage you just as much as me! I have to be honest, I have very little patience for speaking about the enemy but as he is around and here to destroy the works of Christian and the Church, we’d all do well I feel to at least be well versed on what God tells us about him and how to deal with these events when they arise.

For those of you who might not know, our main enemy in this life is called Satan however, this wasn’t always his name and neither was it always his position. In the beginning, God created the hosts of Heaven and one group of these hosts were Angels, most were similar in rank however three in particular were not just Angels but Archangels – Gabriel, Michael and Lucifer. Sometime between creation and the fall in The Garden of Eden, Lucifer decided that he wanted to be like God so he rose up against the Lord in rebellion however God, thrust him from Heaven to Earth like LIGHTING, casting him and a third of the Angels out from his presence. Now, the devil is the enemy of God, mankind and the Church with very few purposes in mind other than to steal, kill, destroy and lie throughout the ages.

Satan and his host take on the form of various guises of principalities, rulers of darkness, demons and unclean spirits bent fully on destroying everything from relationships, marriages and families to stirring up peoples and nations to rise up against each other. He is a dangerous and cunning foe and one we shouldn’t under-estimate as Christians, he hates Christians and the Church with a passion for the simple reason that God loves Christians and the Church with a passion so his mission remains the same in the lives of Christians and assemblies, to sow discord, disunity and mistrust. It’s what he’s always done and it’s what he’ll always try to HOWEVER……

I mentioned he is one who is dangerous and not to be under-estimated and this much is true but I’ll say it again, HOWEVER, it is nothing, not even close, not even on the same scale as the power of the living God, the creator the maker of Heaven and Earth his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. To compare would be laughable, I’m not even sure after all this time if you can but if were to try, I’d say the forces of darkness are like a speck of dust on my sofa and God is every square inch, of the whole universe – even then the comparison falls short. Satan is we must be aware of but God is the one we should be amazed by!

Now, you might be reading the above and think well why doesn’t God just destroy Satan and his hosts? Why does he allow him to continue? This my friends is one of the great mysteries of the Christian life and one which we simply say, God knows! It makes no real difference, it is what it is, but although Satan can attack us flesh and blood Christians, God hasn’t left us answerless or defenseless when it comes to dealing with our daily foe. Before we do look at the teaching let me just say this, if you are a believer in Jesus Christ, if you’re born again and trusting him (even a little) then you have within you, the most powerful spirit in existence, the Holy Ghost.

God actually gives us a great window into this world we can’t see and it’s the example we find in the Book of Job. Again for our less experienced readers, Job was a righteous man in the eyes of God and one day, the sons of God (the Angels) assembled themselves together and Satan came in among them to which God said, “where did you come from Satan”. The Lord went on to ask the devil if he had considered his righteous servant Job and said there was none like him, a just and upright servant to which the devil replied, he only worships you because you protect him, let me have a time with him. This request from Satan was granted by the Lord with conditions set upon him that Job was not to be killed. What followed was pretty horrific, the devil covered Job in boils from his head to his toes, he killed Jobs family with the winds and he stirred up his neighbours to destroy all his wealth, which was plenty. In the end, God turned up and ended the temptation of Job and restoring to him double which he’d had before.

This event gives us a tremendous amount of revelation about the inner workings of this realm, it shows us that God and Satan actually do converse, that Satan is indeed the accuser of the righteous and that at times, he can be given the power to sift an individual physically, emotionally even being given limited power over the elements (the wind) for a time. This would be quite a fearful thought for anyone to consider, the example of Job was extreme however, that’s only half the story. You’ll see that God does indeed divinely protect his children, we see that Satan himself had to ask God’s permission and when God gave it, he was given limited power for a limited time. We see a God his is absolutely in control, a God in his wisdom granting this access but when the access was given, it began when God said, it went in a way that God said and it ENDED when he said, GOD IS SOVEREIGN!

This is a very extreme example but the reason that I used it, was to show just how much God is in control even in the most severest of attacks. God is sovereign, there is absolutely no question about it and at times we might not understand the process but God will always be working for our good to build us and teach us. God tells us that the devil is indeed the accuser of Christians and that he fires darts at us, as attacks on our lives and families. He will do anything to destroy our view of God and make no mistake, he’ll keep trying so what does God tell us about defending and resisting?

There’s a simple answer to this, scriptures tell us to ‘submit ourselves to the Lord, resist the devil and he will flee from you’. Many move straight into trying to resist him with prayer, fighting back with words and generally trying to take him on on our own however, the bit we sometimes overlook is ‘submit yourself to the Lord’. One of the Devils main aims in these kind of situations is to take the Glory off God and turn our attention to him, he wants our attention, he wants to be glorified and he wants our amazement of him but again, the Word tells us not to rail back accusations at him but to submit ourselves to God.

Jude – “yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, DID NOT bring against the devil any railing accusations but said, THE LORD REBUKE YOU”. Even Michael didn’t fight back in the way we might think, Michael preferred to submit himself to God and not be provoked by Satan, he would not drawn into an exchange with him and Michael would not, take his focus from his Lord. I’ve heard so many sermons over the years about talking back to Satan, about fighting him, warfare with him yet, the Word teaches us the foundation of our warfare, submission to God. Michael could have took on Satan in these ways and believe you me, in the end times he will fight Satan again but this passages teaches us the key, submit yourself to God’s plans and God’s purposes and when Satan fires his darts, “THE LORD REBUKE YOU!”.

Make no mistake though, God is Sovereign and we haven’t even scratched the surface of Jesus Christ yet, we haven’t even discussed Jesus overcoming Satan in the wilderness, in the garden and on the cross. We haven’t even spoke about Jesus being victorious over the forces of darkness, about all power in heaven and earth has been given to him and that power rests within you! Friends the Word tells us the darts will fly, the devil will try to deceive us and destroy God plans for your life but the scariest spirit imaginable resides within you, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit so when the fiery darts come, follow the example of Michael, “The Lord Rebuke you” and let Jesus fight your battle! Be aware of the Devil but be AMAZED BY GOD….

During our season of babies and website work, we've received many attacks and normally in the form of accusations from those who profess to be saved, loving and compassionate Christians however the more and more we step back into our role we can see just how much God has been working in our lives to toughen us up for the road ahead. God bless and I hope you enjoyed....
"The basics of overcoming Satan" ... it's almost an oxymoron because he is so crafty and devilish in his ways, however the one true way to guard against him is through Christ's love.

Ephesians 6:11 - Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Anyway, thank you for the excellent sermon. I kind of like this written format. :)

Again these teachings I've presented are from years of study and taking into account what the original Hebrew texts foreshow. When these methods are employed to discern scripture the Holy ghost reveals to us the truth, it's the only way to arrive at conclusions.

Really? So you don't believe that, ""This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds" (Hebrews 10:16). You believe that this scripture is for the select few who study and know Hebrew and Greek?

Do you believe, "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you" (John 14:26). Does this say anything about knowing the Hebrew and Greek.

The fact is if one is in God's Spirit they will really hear the truth of God because they have laid themselves aside and God becomes their whole existence so they can hear God. One who studies but is full of them self, even if they are extremely fluent in Hebrew and Greek will only hear their own mind.

Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.

I think again you seem to be missing the point of true scripture interpretation, the plain meaning of the text shows the conversation unfold but again no one seems to able to explain the Satan's desire to sift Peter like wheat which he was evidently given to do...
God holds back evil. Satan asking God permission to sift Peter is not God imposing evil on Peter, but it is actually God not restraining evil. God does this to build faith in his believers. God knew that Peter did not have the faith he claimed he had. Peter replied, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death (Luke 22:33). God let Peter go through being questioned about being a follower of Christ to strengthen his faith. God already knew Peter would fail. Which is why Jesus said, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me."

Yet even though Jesus knew this he still prayed for Peter's faith. "But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers (Luke 22:32). So God prayed for Peter's faith being strengthened as a result of his failure. Only by failing did Peter learn that he wasn't in faith. God knew that this experience would cause Peter to "turn back" and be able to strengthen his brothers.

Peter denied Jesus right in front of him three times and then wept bitterly for what he had done. God let this happen for Peter's good. God could have protected Peter from the accusations, but he didn't. It made him see himself clearly and it made him able to encourage and teach others who also would go through persecution.

Really? So you don't believe that, ""This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds" (Hebrews 10:16). You believe that this scripture is for the select few who study and know Hebrew and Greek?
Do you believe, "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you" (John 14:26). Does this say anything about knowing the Hebrew and Greek.
The fact is if one is in God's Spirit they will really hear the truth of God because they have laid themselves aside and God becomes their whole existence so they can hear God. One who studies but is full of them self, even if they are extremely fluent in Hebrew and Greek will only hear their own mind.
Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.

You, lady, are really missing the point.
christianbtob, is writing from his calling as a pastor: a calling, mind you, that was confirmed by the laying on of hands of the presbytery. You had nothing to do with either the calling, or laying on of hands.
The Ministry is placed in the Church, "...for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." However, some things you have written are correct (I do not say right).
The Holy Spirit will "...teach teach you all things and remind you...". And what is God's format for this? He has placed the Ministry in the Church to first edify us, and then as we grow, teach us how to "work the ministry", etc. Of you have never been
under the auspices of the Ministry, you will always be biting at the bit of the reins...and will only listen to men who called themselves and placed themselves in the Ministry...possibly even believing that you, yourself, are called into an office.

Anyone who is placed in the Ministry of the Lord will submit to the other offices, considering them before himself, especially to the elders before him (not her). If we consider Acts 15, that is what actually took place. Peter spoke first, for he was the eldest in the Ministry (and had opened the door to the Jews, Samaritans, and Gentiles); Barnabas spoke next, for he was called into the Ministry before Paul; Paul spoke after Barnabas (Barnabas was named first); and finally, James spoke. everything was done in order and with great respect.
Anyone who does not respect the Ministry, does not respect Him who calls into the Ministry. And anyone who accuses an elder, except by the mouth of two witnesses or three, does so NOT by the Holy Spirit: but by the spirit of the accuser of the Brethren.

You, lady, are really missing the point.
christianbtob, is writing from his calling as a pastor: a calling, mind you, that was confirmed by the laying on of hands of the presbytery. You had nothing to do with either the calling, or laying on of hands.
The Ministry is placed in the Church, "...for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." However, some things you have written are correct (I do not say right).
The Holy Spirit will "...teach teach you all things and remind you...". And what is God's format for this? He has placed the Ministry in the Church to first edify us, and then as we grow, teach us how to "work the ministry", etc. Of you have never been
under the auspices of the Ministry, you will always be biting at the bit of the reins...and will only listen to men who called themselves and placed themselves in the Ministry...possibly even believing that you, yourself, are called into an office.

Anyone who is placed in the Ministry of the Lord will submit to the other offices, considering them before himself, especially to the elders before him (not her). If we consider Acts 15, that is what actually took place. Peter spoke first, for he was the eldest in the Ministry (and had opened the door to the Jews, Samaritans, and Gentiles); Barnabas spoke next, for he was called into the Ministry before Paul; Paul spoke after Barnabas (Barnabas was named first); and finally, James spoke. everything was done in order and with great respect.
Anyone who does not respect the Ministry, does not respect Him who calls into the Ministry. And anyone who accuses an elder, except by the mouth of two witnesses or three, does so NOT by the Holy Spirit: but by the spirit of the accuser of the Brethren.
The scripture you are talking of is this. "Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. 20Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning" (1 Timothy 5:20). First, this is not the formal church setting. Second, I am not receiving an accusation, I am speaking directly to what has been said on this forum. The witness of the bible and God's Spirit is the truth.

The scripture you are talking of is this. "Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. 20Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning" (1 Timothy 5:20). First, this is not the formal church setting. Second, I am not receiving an accusation, I am speaking directly to what has been said on this forum. The witness of the bible and God's Spirit is the truth.
I don't think he likes women? Or seems to try and bully them more than men...?

(1) That scripture you quoted was for anyone whose shoe fits. If it does not fit you, then don't wear it.
(2) You are not authorized to "receive" an accusation against an elder: nor even consider it.
(3) Those who are not in the Ministry can ask: but should not confront an elder.
(4) The scriptures are surely a witness, and the Spirit of the Lord is the Truth. But the Holy Spirit will never contradict itself by
giving credence to a false witness against the Truth.

I don't think he likes women? Or seems to try and bully them more than men...?

So now you are sowing seeds of discord and division against the believers! First, you accuse; and now this.

"These six things does the Lord hate: yes, seven are an abomination unto Him:
A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, a false witness that speaks lies, and he that sows discord among the Brethren."

My wife is a woman, and she loves the Lord.

So now you are sowing seeds of discord and division against the believers! First, you accuse; and now this.

"These six things does the Lord hate: yes, seven are an abomination unto Him:
A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, a false witness that speaks lies, and he that sows discord among the Brethren."

My wife is a woman, and she loves the Lord.
So you attack Olivia...and I defend her with the truth and its my fault :LOL:

Eh hmm.........Rule 2.1 Common courtesy and civil dialogue is expected from all participants. Common courtesy is a generally understood concept and too broad to fully define here. In short, if you have doubt on whether you should say something, DON'T!
Rule 2.2 If someone disagrees with you do not immediately jump to the conclusion that they are not truly saved just because they disagree, there are differences of opinion in translating Biblical doctrine.

Pray b4 posting it will help :)

Eh hmm.........Rule 2.1 Common courtesy and civil dialogue is expected from all participants. Common courtesy is a generally understood concept and too broad to fully define here. In short, if you have doubt on whether you should say something, DON'T!
Rule 2.2 If someone disagrees with you do not immediately jump to the conclusion that they are not truly saved just because they disagree, there are differences of opinion in translating Biblical doctrine.
Pray b4 posting it will help :)

Thank you for the reminder, Beloved. Although there is a slight difference between disagreement and outright accusations.

(1) That scripture you quoted was for anyone whose shoe fits. If it does not fit you, then don't wear it.
(2) You are not authorized to "receive" an accusation against an elder: nor even consider it.
(3) Those who are not in the Ministry can ask: but should not confront an elder.
(4) The scriptures are surely a witness, and the Spirit of the Lord is the Truth. But the Holy Spirit will never contradict itself by
giving credence to a false witness against the Truth.

I put God's word and truth above all people except Jesus in the flesh, including all pastors. I spoke truth and will continue to do so.

"Better is open rebuke than hidden love" (Proverbs 27:5).

What if I know for the pastor's sake that he needs this rebuke for his later safety. Would I hide it from him to seem kind? I would rather seem unkind and say the truth that I know he needs to hear.

Because of my love for him I would rather take your accusations then hide what I know he needs.

Last edited:
I put God's word and truth above all people except Jesus in the flesh, including all pastors. I spoke truth and will continue to do so.
"Better is open rebuke than hidden love" (Proverbs 27:5).
What if I know for the pastor's sake that he needs this rebuke for his later safety. Would I hide it from him to seem kind? I would rather seem unkind and say the truth that I know he needs to hear.
Because of my love for him I would rather take your accusations then hide what I know he needs.

Well, if you and your pastor are in agreement...who am I to argue with you. You go ahead and do whatever you think is right.
If you know better, then you know better. Apparently you have the gift of rebuking pastors: I'm sorry, I didn't know this. It must be a heavy burden for you, especially if there are many pastors you must rebuke openly...are there? I do't know. It is good to know you love pastors enough to rebuke them openly: I don't think there are that many believers that would be brave enough to do so. Well, good luck on your openly rebuking pastors trek.
Oh! Does that also include teachers and evangelists, and prophets, and apostles? Whatever. Just thinking aloud.

I have spoken according to my conscience and have affirmed him and honored him enough to speak truth to him.
So do you believe God was judging angels in this passage? God's Angels are 100% obedient to God and not require any judgement. they are also genderless meaning they couldn't take a (goo-nay) wife. Concience has nothing at all to do with accurately understanding the scriptures.

Back