The Aramaic Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother Gerald...........My King James Bible says in John 1:42 and in Matthew 16:18
Simon the son of John; you shall be called Cephas " (which is translated Peter). .... There the Lord said, "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock,"

So lets take the the false teaching and making doctrine stuff elsewhere..........
Jesus is the cornerstone the rock yes ----Jesus also called Peter the rock He would build His church on.......

Why try to argue over what is written In Gods word ?
Blessings
Jim

I will state the truth and give a biblical. argument to the best of my ability to susbtantiate it .
I will not argue over it .
If I am wrong prove it by more than one word or verse of scripture .Otherwise you take one verse and build a mountain of error upon it .
Or believe the mountain of error because others have done so and you believe them.

in Christ
gerald

I keep thinking about what you said...and the best thing to do is to study what you know to be true with the strongs definitions, and the Holy Spirit (which is most important). Jesus said in John 16 that the Spirit of truth will lead you into all truth.... 13)Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come .......Then if you run into things like this aramic translation, then as you have already studied with the Holy Spirit.....you will know if it is not right or not.

Blessings

Its curious that you put Strons definition first but you say the Holy Spirit is the most important. You would also put on par Strongs definition with the Holy Spirit . It may not be deliberate intention but that is what you have done .
it does not say guide you for that can be as it were afar off he will guide you.
But it says he will LEAD you into all truth as a shepherd would lead his flock.
To guide also implies the modern equivelent of "guide lines" instead of law .
Not that we are nwo ruled by the law of sin and death. But we are nwo goverened by the law of the Spirit and of Christ.
A law in the truest sense is as the laws of physics .
"Free as a bird" people say when they see a bird flying across the sky.
It is 'free'because it is is doing or fullfilling its created purpose .
But any carefull observation of birds in flight will show and prove that birds must not only follow the laws of areodynamics both in the use of thier feathers but also in the responses to the wind and air that surrounds them.
They do not then fly against the wind or contray to it ,But in harmony with it and so fly accordingly .
To be LED by the Holy Spirit in whom we move and have our being as well as abiding in us if we are His . is not only to fullfill what we have been newly created for . But also in our responses to that leading . Which is more close or intimate than guiding.
A guide can be ignored .
To be led by the good shepherd of your soul should not be .
In Christ
gerald

Meaning what Jesus would do through peter and or the revelation that Perter would later get about Jesus.. Is this what you mean ?

You said:
Jesus also called Peter the rock He would build His church on.......

I was merely clarifying that it was the revelation of Peter (that Jesus is the Messiah) that Jesus marveled at, and proceeded to change Peter's name to Cephas to demonstrate that revelation is what Jesus would build His Church upon...a solid rock foundation.

You said:

I was merely clarifying that it was the revelation of Peter (that Jesus is the Messiah) that Jesus marveled at, and proceeded to change Peter's name to Cephas to demonstrate that revelation is what Jesus would build His Church upon...a solid rock foundation.

Euphemia..............Peter did not have this or any revelation at that time. Where are you getting this from ? What am I missing here.............

You said:

Hello,
Just to put a verse to what you are talking about. If these are not the verses you are talking about maybe you can post some others.
Here it is in the kjv.
John 1:42
And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.

Thr other scripture is in John 6:67-68.....Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

As you can see Peter had no involvement in his name being changed

Blessings

Its curious that you put Strons definition first but you say the Holy Spirit is the most important. You would also put on par Strongs definition with the Holy Spirit . It may not be deliberate intention but that is what you have done .
it does not say guide you for that can be as it were afar off he will guide you.
But it says he will LEAD you into all truth as a shepherd would lead his flock.
To guide also implies the modern equivelent of "guide lines" instead of law .
Not that we are nwo ruled by the law of sin and death. But we are nwo goverened by the law of the Spirit and of Christ.
A law in the truest sense is as the laws of physics .
"Free as a bird" people say when they see a bird flying across the sky.
It is 'free'because it is is doing or fullfilling its created purpose .
But any carefull observation of birds in flight will show and prove that birds must not only follow the laws of areodynamics both in the use of thier feathers but also in the responses to the wind and air that surrounds them.
They do not then fly against the wind or contray to it ,But in harmony with it and so fly accordingly .
To be LED by the Holy Spirit in whom we move and have our being as well as abiding in us if we are His . is not only to fullfill what we have been newly created for . But also in our responses to that leading . Which is more close or intimate than guiding.
A guide can be ignored .
To be led by the good shepherd of your soul should not be .
In Christ
gerald

I really do apologize it really was an accident. I did not intend to put anything before the Holy Spirit. With that said the verse that i copied and pasted is from the kjv, so in my Bible it says guide. In fact i checked several translations and they all say guide except tyndalenversion from 1858. Maybe yours reads differently, and that is then where our misunderstanding is.

Blessings

Last edited:
Hello,
Just to put a verse to what you are talking about. If these are not the verses you are talking about maybe you can post some others.
Here it is in the kjv.
John 1:42
And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.

Thr other scripture is in John 6:67-68.....Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

As you can see Peter had no involvement in his name being changed

Blessings
Peter's involvement was to be the only disciple to utter his God-given revelation of truth, which gained him the new name of Cephas, or Stone.

Later, as I am on Tapatalk. Scripture doesn't say anything else to indicate anything other than the fact that Peter's revelation is what Jesus says He will build His Church on. Are you disagreeing with that?

Later, as I am on Tapatalk. Scripture doesn't say anything else to indicate anything other than the fact that Peter's revelation is what Jesus says He will build His Church on. Are you disagreeing with that?

I fully agree that in ch 1 Jesus is speaking prophetically in regards to Peter and is the reason why He spoke what the Father wanted spoken to change His name from Simon to Cephas (Peter). And yes i agree that Peter's revelation of who Jesus truly was in John 6: 67-68 and Matthew 16:18 is again speaking of that prophecy.

I got it.....i just read the few verses in Matthew 16:13-18 (i am posting the Scriptures beloe for everyone to see) and now i understand why you are saying what you are. We have been refering to the two instances in John...which paints a similar but a little different picture.
Thanks be to The Holy Spirit for helping me to figure it out.
Blessings

Matthew 16:13-18
When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

I fully agree that in ch 1 Jesus is speaking prophetically in regards to Peter and is the reason why He spoke what the Father wanted spoken to change His name from Simon to Cephas (Peter). And yes i agree that Peter's revelation of who Jesus truly was in John 6: 67-68 and Matthew 16:18 is again speaking of that prophecy.
Yes, the first mention is prophetic. Amen!

I got it.....i just read the few verses in (i am posting the Scriptures beloe for everyone to see) and now i understand why you are saying what you are. We have been refering to the two instances in John...which paints a similar but a little different picture.
Thanks be to The Holy Spirit for helping me to figure it out.
Blessings

When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

And Peters revelation of the fact that Jesus is the Son of the Living God (The Rock) is what Jesus is saying that Peter will be able to build the church upon. Peter's name was changed to prophetically begin to condition Peter to be the strong one, or a rock, so that God could use Him to build the church upon. Just like Abram's name was changed to Abraham to get him to speak and hear that he was the father of many nations, so that his faith in God's promise would be strengthened.

Last edited:
Jesus also did not say He would build His Church on Peter, which you implied He did. I was simply clarifying.
Ok lets look at several things here.
1...I spoke from John and you spoke from Matthew.
2.. John puts Jesus saying this at first meeting with Simon - Matthew puts it more then a year later.....
So neither of us can claim to be 100 percent correct there.

Now then.............Jesus did change Simons Name to Cephas which means Peter or Rock and then Jesus said I will build my church upon this rock..............

We know Jesus only spoke what the Father said and only Did what the Father showed Him to do.........So Jesus simply was prophesying or saying what God said which is what a prophet does...........God was speaking through Jesus to what He was going to do through Peter and that was build His church.......

2.. John puts Jesus saying this at first meeting with Simon - Matthew puts it more then a year later.....

Now then.............Jesus did change Simons Name to Cephas which means Peter or Rock and then Jesus said I will build my church upon this rock..............

We know Jesus only spoke what the Father said and only Did what the Father showed Him to do.........So Jesus simply was prophesying or saying what God said which is what a prophet does...........God was speaking through Jesus to what He was going to do through Peter and that was build His church.......
Jim...I was merely clarifying your less than clear statement that could be interpreted as agreeing with the RC view.

Which goes along with Ephesians 2:20-21
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
Blessings

Which goes along with Ephesians 2:20-21
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
Blessings
Amen for-
It was the early apostles which turned this world upside down as they went forth building the early or first church !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back