Ten Depend on Two

"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: OK when you put it that way.

In that case, I think Adam might have had a bead: Cain killed who? or Noah: You want me to build a what? or Abraham: You want me to sacrifice who? or Jacob: You sold Joseph into slavery? or Ham: You cursed my son? Jonah: You want me to be a what? This is kind of fun. Jesus wept.

Last edited:
Too lazy to google...splain facepalm, please? I was just saying with mischievous delight that the 613 Mosaic laws came out of the 10. Course, it loses it's deliciousness if it is 614.
One's palm in the face. And, really, I wonder what Jewish guy decided, "OK, we're up to 600+, so that a wrap". Definitely a face palm moment for God.

Can we do it. NO!!!
Major, allow me to add one word to your statement, in order that it may be brought into harmony with the Word of God.
"Can we do it alone? NO!!!"

Every single Scripture which points out man's failure to obey is always an instance where the individual attempted to do so in his own strength.

"For without Me ye can do nothing" - Jesus
"I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." - ________________ (Your Name Here)

Tell me what it means to keep it holy.
If I may offer an answer, there are several Scriptures which shed light on how to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy which includes within the commandment itself: "Thou shalt not work".

I was fired from my job in 2006 (was raking in $120,000/year - fantastic pay here in the south where incomes are far less than elsewhere) when the company changed our work schedule to include the Sabbath after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf South. They were unwilling to accommodate my request to be off so I could attend church with my family, so after a brief but extremely agonizing struggle with God, I finally make my decision. In like manner of Daniel, Hananiah, Azariah, Mishael, I advised them, "I speak in no uncertain terms, gentlemen: Until God alone says otherwise, I will remain here as an employee of AT&T - but if not - be it known that though I respect the authority of all my superiors, not a one of you died for my sins. I will not break the commandment of God in order to keep a commandment of man. They didn't take to kindly to my position.

Also, Isaiah says we're not to trample it by our failure to reverence these holy hours by doing our own things or speaking our own words (washing the car, talking about the big game, paying bills, etc.) IMHO, a good rule of thumb is that we should spend those sacred hours drawing into close communion with God and the brethren - something that is much more difficult to do on the other days which God commands us to do all our labor and work - by attending church, fellowship, Bible study, visiting the sick, shut in, and incarcerated, etc. The best part is if we do so, we'll receive the Blessing of God which He only put in that day alone! :)

If I may offer an answer, there are several Scriptures which shed light on how to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy which includes within the commandment itself: "Thou shalt not work".

I was fired from my job in 2006 (was raking in $120,000/year - fantastic pay here in the south where incomes are far less than elsewhere) when the company changed our work schedule to include the Sabbath after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf South. They were unwilling to accommodate my request to be off so I could attend church with my family, so after a brief but extremely agonizing struggle with God, I finally make my decision. In like manner of Daniel, Hananiah, Azariah, Mishael, I advised them, "I speak in no uncertain terms, gentlemen: Until God alone says otherwise, I will remain here as an employee of AT&T - but if not - be it known that though I respect the authority of all my superiors, not a one of you died for my sins. I will not break the commandment of God in order to keep a commandment of man. They didn't take to kindly to my position.

Also, Isaiah says we're not to trample it by our failure to reverence these holy hours by doing our own things or speaking our own words (washing the car, talking about the big game, paying bills, etc.) IMHO, a good rule of thumb is that we should spend those sacred hours drawing into close communion with God and the brethren - something that is much more difficult to do on the other days which God commands us to do all our labor and work - by attending church, fellowship, Bible study, visiting the sick, shut in, and incarcerated, etc. The best part is if we do so, we'll receive the Blessing of God which He only put in that day alone! :)

I dont' remember writing, "Tell me what it means to keep it holy." But thanks for the response!

I once heard the two commandments explained this way. The two commandments sum up the ten commandments. The first four commandments = the first of the two great commandments. The rest of the ten equal the second great commandment.

Think about it, what are the first four in relation to? What are the final six in relation to?

I once heard the two commandments explained this way. The two commandments sum up the ten commandments. The first four commandments = the first of the two great commandments. The rest of the ten equal the second great commandment.

Think about it, what are the first four in relation to? What are the final six in relation to?
The most important truths are the most disturbing to those who do not receive a love of them. If undying love and respect for his wife's tender, fragile heart are enough to compel a man to resist even the severest temptation to be unfaithful to her, yet that man demonstrates continual unfaithfulness to the Law of God, he condemns himself as an unconverted slave to sin, no matter what he may profess otherwise.

Last edited:
The most important truths are the most disturbing to those who do not receive a love of them. If undying love and respect for his wife's tender, fragile heart are enough to compel a man to resist even the severest temptation to be unfaithful to her, yet that man demonstrates continual unfaithfulness to the Law of God, he condemns himself as an unconverted slave to sin, no matter what he may profess otherwise.

Maybe this is a guy thing? If I truly love my spouse and recognize it as love, I would not be tempted to stray. I always liked Paul Newman's quote " why should I go out for hamburger when I have steak at home?" And if anyone was gonna be tempted.... Still, I think we try to justify why we sin. "Oh it's a small lie" or "I'll take this, Walmart won't be hurt" or "I'm not getting what I need at home." That's not the way love speaks, is it?

Maybe this is a guy thing? If I truly love my spouse and recognize it as love, I would not be tempted to stray. I always liked Paul Newman's quote " why should I go out for hamburger when I have steak at home?" And if anyone was gonna be tempted.... Still, I think we try to justify why we sin. "Oh it's a small lie" or "I'll take this, Walmart won't be hurt" or "I'm not getting what I need at home." That's not the way love speaks, is it?
Of course it's a guy thing. You've heard the old adage, A woman needs attention, affection, and adoration first, but a guy needs only a place. We are sorely tempted by the opposite sex and will always be subject to that temptation. What is it about the some cars that makes even aged men find them to be so "exciting and sexy"? It's the curves! But, just as one's limited treasure on earth prevents him from giving in to his mid-life crisis desire for a new convertible, the Infinite Sacrifice of heaven should prevent him from giving in to fleshly desires, for "the love of Christ compels us". Doing so only proves his disdain for heaven's Greatest Gift, no matter how much Seminary or church attendance he boasts.

Rofl - I know women stray too. (straightens halo). What we don't seem to get is that sin reverberates and spreads out. Walmart doesn't get hurt - it passes the cost on every article in the store to all customers. We live in a world where we all pay for thievery. Straying hurts families. It would be just my luck to get a convertible and like last summer, it seemed to rain every day. :)

Yes, however with the explanation that I gave, it essentially means this, if you love God with all your heart, mind and soul, you will not break the first four commandments, and if we love our neighbors as we do ourselves, we will not break the last six commandments.

To me at least Jesus summed up the ten into two because if we're not doing the two, then we haven't done the ten.

Back