1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Where is the Messiah, May 7, 2014.

1. I'm sure this has been discussed but not since I've been here.

I don't have any tattoos. But I don't think they're bad.

I think some of you might reference the scripture that the body is a temple, but isn't that passage I'm ref to sexual immorality and not tattoos?
  2. I have tattoos. I'm assuming you read my last Facebook post?! I don't think that passage has anything to do with tattoos.
  3. Verse commonly sited:

Leviticus 19:28 HCSB

You are not to make gashes on your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves; I am Yahweh.

But it's in reference to this crap:

1 Kings 18:27-29 HCSB

At noon Elijah mocked them. He said, “Shout loudly, for he’s a god! Maybe he’s thinking it over; maybe he has wandered away; or maybe he’s on the road. Perhaps he’s sleeping and will wake up! ” They shouted loudly, and cut themselves with knives and spears, according to their custom, until blood gushed over them. All afternoon they kept on raving until the offering of the evening sacrifice, but there was no sound; no one answered, no one paid attention.

My wife wants us to get matching tattoos on our sides. We'll probably do it eventually. I would like to get some cool ones but I'd probably hate whatever I picked after a month.
  4. My personal feeling on them stems from this,

I will praise You; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are marvelous and my soul knows it very well. Psa 139:14

How could any painting on my body improve on what God has wonderfully and marvelously made, so to me adding anything to what He has designed would be like a slap in the face.

My two cents.

Euphemia likes this.
  5. yeah i read one of the replies to your post, so it had me thinking :cool:
  6. See how he is Brian? He is taking a cheap shot at you! :(
  7. Lets add a little context... cause if someone uses this scripture to question tats...then they need to accept that trimming the beard is also some sort of transgression?

Le 19:27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.
    28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
  8. The guy you read that from is my best friend and his dad is a youth minister. I'm guessing he was just giving me crap because he has a bunch of tattoos. It's okay though, I love him all the same :)
  9. You're talking about the defeated Levitical law though. We're actually talking about Cor 6:19 where it says our bodies are temples. Reading it in it's entirety, Where is correct, it has to do with fornication.
    Where is the Messiah likes this.
  10. My position on tattoos has been like New England weather :)

We certainly cannot look at it from legalistic perspective.. The whole OT was about bringing inner discipline through outer sacraments.. NT is all about inner discipline resulting in external aspects (primarily on Christian walk).. Anything done without faith is sin.. When there are doubts, just don't do it.. And I think it is wrong to frown upon someone with tattoos and claims to be Christian.. We can never look at exteriors to judge a person..
    God is Love likes this.
  11. Its not defeated, it defeated us.. and in Christ we gladly accept that truth..:) And of course sexual sins is the issue that Paul is speaking to as it relates to the temple of God. I was defending you against that religious zealot Where!
  12. I actually meant that it was defeated by Christ and by accepting Him we are now cleansed of it. Anywhooo, religious zealot where...LOL :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. He's sneaky, that one.
  13. I don't have any tats, but I joke about having one that says 'made in japan' on my (__|__) because I was born in Japan.

Just my opinion, I don't particularly care for tats, but that's just me.

This topic reminds me of how slaves in first testament times got their ears pierced.
    Where is the Messiah likes this.
  14. What what? I'm not against tattoos. No need to defend against me. Either way mitspA would surely lose.
  15. #15 Major, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Yes, this subject has been kicked around several times.

If you will investigate this process I think that you will find that the foundation is rooted in pagan demonism, shamanism along with Baal worship and occult mysticism. That being the case, I have always advised against tattoos.

A tattooist in many cultures is also a shaman, magick-man, priest or priestess. According to the dictionary a shaman is a “intermediary between the natural and supernatural worlds, using magic to cure illness, foretell the future, control spiritual forces, etc.”

I am no expert on this but it seems to me that I recall that tattoos came from ancient pagan worship rituals. IT was a way of marking a person. Someone might want to investigate that to make sure. If that is the case then I would warn against following a pagan worship ritual.

Now, If you are considering the question, "To tattoo or not to?" I think the more serious questions to ask yourself are:
    1. What are my motives for wanting a tattoo?
    2. Am I seeking to glorify God or draw attention to myself?
    3. Will my tattoo be a source of contention for my loved ones?
    4. Will getting a tattoo cause me to disobey my parents?
    5. Will my tattoo cause someone who is weak in the faith to stumble?
    6. Will I contract a disease from the needles used use as AIDS or MRCA?
    7. Am I showing the world my rebellion?
    God is Love likes this.
  16. Ignore! Already corrected.
  17. I think Ravi hit the nail on the head,

"Anything done without faith is sin.."

And Paul tells us faith comes from hearing and hearing from the Word of God, ...so if Father speaks to your heart from the Word and tells you to get a tattoo, .....who can argue?

"...it seems to me that I recall that tattoos came from ancient pagan worship rituals."

Quite right major, in the Polynesian culture tattoos are a part of their worship at the Marae's (equivalent to the high places in the OT), the worship rituals are always conducted by a male witch, and he will always be covered with tattoos, ....the missionaries that came here in the 1700's and 1800's observed that the more a person's body was covered with tattoos the more bizarre they became and accompanied with the numerous tattoos was the sticking out of the tongue, trying to touch the chin and waving the tip up and down accompanied with sounds off growling, ...they also observed that the natives wanted their whole body to be covered with tattoos because they had more contact with the spirits which meant more power, ...a body tattooed from the crown of the head to the toes was a sign of respect for them and of being possessed with a spirit, ...which of course we know is to be demon possessed.

18. Where, I hope you don't think differently of me now because I have tattoos. Look what you've done. Coffee time! :coffee:
  19. Well I seen Brians tattoo,...as a man of God and a friend I seen it as an expression of his faith. I don't like the fact that Where is trying to put a guilt trip on him...:(
  20. I don't think Where is, I'm just giving him crap. I'm sure he sincerely wanted to know more about this subject. I'm not disappointed in myself and I don't think God is either.