Tattoo First Timer Yet?

PS:

LysanderShapiro: Well, sounds like you guys are regular visitors to a parlor, anyway. Is it a good one?

There's one in North East which is pretty good, but I haven't gotten any tattoos there yet. One of the shops a few blocks from where we live is good if you're not getting anything complicated, but I wouldn't go there for something that requires specific detail like portraits for instance (otherwise you'll end up with a horrible tattoo). Luckily, most of my tattoos are very simple and old fashioned (which I like).

There's one in North East which is pretty good, but I haven't gotten any tattoos there yet. One of the shops a few blocks from where we live is good if you're not getting anything complicated, but I wouldn't go there for something that requires specific detail like portraits for instance (otherwise you'll end up with a horrible tattoo). Luckily, most of my tattoos are very simple and old fashioned (which I like).

LysanderShapiro: People seem so often to stick with the same artist, over and over, if they're satisfied; maybe you and your wife, do, as well. Unless you're thinking of checking out the North East place. (You guys are in DC, right.)

PS: LysanderShapiro:

This is also gracesteph's experience, anyway, who said she had 4; she said back a bit:

I am actually not done with tattoos yet. It's true what they say, you keep coming back for more!
I got a tiny cross on my arm to simply symbolize my faith ..

We do have to remember that first and foremost it is a matter of the heart rather than the outward symbol.

I think a faith based tattoo would be a good witness, actually. :rolleyes:

(Taking the opportunity to respond on a relevant thread: )

Sparrow:

So you really think so! It's not for everyone, anyway, but it's something that many Christian men and women are wanting to do, and doing, particularly since it has proved to be an effective conversation-starter.

Blessings.

Last edited:
(Taking the opportunity to respond on a relevant thread: )

Sparrow:

So you really think so! It's not for everyone, anyway, but it's something that many Christian men and women are wanting to do, and doing, particularly since it has proved to be an effective conversation-starter.

Blessings.

What will yours be?

What will yours be?

Sparrow: A design that faded on my arm a long while ago wasn't faith based, unfortunately. But I do like the idea of a Christian fish sign <>< . It kind of preaches well. (The Greek word for fish is also an acrostic for Jesus Christ Son of God in Greek.)

Whether or not you would ever consider doing it, it's certainly an increasingly popular thing to do among Christians. As well as more generally being something that it done as a rite of passage at the age of 18, but hardly resticted to ppl of that age.

Blessings.

Sparrow: A design that faded on my arm a long while ago wasn't faith based, unfortunately. But I do like the idea of a Christian fish sign <>< . It kind of preaches well. (The Greek word for fish is also an acrostic for Jesus Christ Son of God in Greek.)

Whether or not you would ever consider doing it, it's certainly an increasingly popular thing to do among Christians. As well as more generally being something that it done as a rite of passage at the age of 18, but hardly resticted to ppl of that age.

Blessings.

Yes! An ichthus would be my very first choice if I ever decided to get one. So, when's the big day? :)

Yes! An ichthus would be my very first choice if I ever decided to get one. So, when's the big day? :)

Sparrow: What I really like about the ichthus <>< emblem is that it links in with the practice of the early Christians when they would draw with their staffs in the dush a fish sign, if they met someone that they guessed might be a Christian. The sign was then the cue to talk about their common bond in the Lord, or even to testify to someone about Him.

Has kind of a longstanding and sure foundation to it, hasn't it. When inked, it doesn't need to be big: a small fish emblem can easily fit, e.g., on a wrist, finger, ankle or foot, and can be made visible or covered according to circumstances. (People hear 'tattoo' and sometimes immediately think, Oh a big anchor or skull on a biceps or chest, like sailors or bikers have traditionally had, but in fact it doesn't have to be big at all: it's not at all about its shock value to friends and family but about a benign and effective testimony means.)

Unfortunately the parlor nearest to us closed recently. There are others further away, though.

Blessings.

An interesting thread. I am all for taking advantage of simple ways to generate conversation that might turn to Jesus and salvation. Not sure if I'd actually get a tattoo or not, but, those who do, with a heart that seeks only to spread the Gospel - I say, more power to them. Any method that can spark a positive spiritual conversation is a good one in my book.

An interesting thread. I am all for taking advantage of simple ways to generate conversation that might turn to Jesus and salvation. Not sure if I'd actually get a tattoo or not, but, those who do, with a heart that seeks only to spread the Gospel - I say, more power to them. Any method that can spark a positive spiritual conversation is a good one in my book.

A while ago I talked with a guy who had the entire wording of John 3:16 inked on his arm. Some tattoo! I'm sure that others also have gotten into conversation with the guy, as a result of his commitment to have the verse needled in.

Actually I don't think the entire wording of the verse is even necessary for a Scripture tattoo to be effective: maybe even the reference on its own, in good lettering, would be useful. Or a phrase such as SOLA GRATIA or SOLA FIDE, or whatever. Or the Christian fish sign <><, of course.

Talking it over with one's wife is also a good idea (whether or not she would eventually get one as well); kind of helps if one's spouse is okay with the idea, right.

I guess such as tattoo is also a break and reminder about one's conduct day by day: like if a driver on the I-95 keeps getting pulled over for ticketing, it wouldn't be so great if the police got to know the automobile as 'the one with the Jesus sticker'.

Blessings.

Last edited:
PS:

Sparrow: Particularly if it's small, and tastefully done, there's far less need to worry about adverse reaction from family or friends; unlike with some folk in biker/Hells Angels circles, for example, the whole purpose of such a design done on a fairly small scale would be as a clear and simple and tasteful witness, rather than for any shock value, right.

Michael Kaufman: If you talk to your wife, she might have impressions, too, as to whether it would be a good idea.

Blessings.

I'm pretty sure my wife would NOT go for it, regardless of the reason. Of course, she has surprised me before :)

Michael Kaufman:

Sorry, actually I wasn't suggesting she do it; more likely that if you were to consider it, always it's a good idea for the spouse to have a heads up about any such idea; this was more my meaning, I guess.

Of course, if they actually want to, women do expect to participate in it on an equal basis as men (it used to be mainly a male thing, but not any more); in fact, in North America 59% of parlor clients are now women, I read someplace (with 70% in some areas). For something faith based, it doesn't have to be big, anyway, even the simplest Christian fish design <>< on a finger or wrist or wherever can stimulate profitable witness conversation, anyhow.

Blessings.

Actually, I don't even think she would go for ME doing it. But, as I said, she's surprised me before.

Michael: Well, like you said, you never know. The folk that do it, or are happy to live with it, now maybe wouldn't have done years ago. People do change their minds and move on. I saw this quote someplace:

' "..most of my clients are in the older bracket," Gallo-Kohlas told The Huffington Post. "We see a lot of women in their sixties and seventies getting their first tattoos." Gallo-Kohlas recalls a woman in her sixties who got a tattoo because everyone in the golf clique at her gated community had one. It seemed like the thing to do in order to fit in.' (source: laura stempler, huffintonpost dot com)

Leaving aside the gender aspect in the quote (women are doing it freely and widely), doing it 'in order to fit in', as the lady said, maybe isn't necessarily a reason for a Christian to do it, but on the other hand if the person becomes strongly convicted that a <>< will produce opportunities for witness, this might be a very strong reason.

Blessings.

Yes! An ichthus would be my very first choice if I ever decided to get one. ..

Sparrow:

Hey, you just told us you're a singer / musician / songwriter! which is great. And of course, it's among singers and musicians that tattoos are particularly widespread. (And you love to testify, too.) I guess I can see very clearly why you, among the ranks of the aesthetically sensitive, so to speak, would particularly enjoy becoming a tattooee, even if it's with something simple such as <>< .

Thanks for filling us in about your talents and participation in the music scene.

Blessings.

When my mom turned 50, she decided she wanted to get a dove with the olive branch on her ankle and later got two small Hebrew tattoos on her forearms.

PS: LysanderShapiro:

Well, a nice way to turn 50, I'm sure! So did your mom get lots of positive comments, maybe? (as far as you know).

Back