Take Up The Cross

Take Up The Cross

Matthew 10:38-39
38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

Matthew 16:24-25
24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

Mark 8:34-35
34 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 35 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.

Mark 10:21
21 Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”

Luke 9:23
23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.

John 12:31-33
31 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. 32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.” 33 This He said, signifying by what death He would die.

Romans 6:4-6
4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.

1 Corinthians 1:18
18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

2 Corinthians 13:4
4 For though He was crucified in weakness, yet He lives by the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you.

Galatians 2:19-20
19For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Galatians 5:24
24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.

Galatians 6:14
14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Colossians 1:19-22
19 For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, 20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.
21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled 22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight

Colossians 2:11-15
11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

Hebrews 12:1-2
1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Great verses jaerod. It is definitely not easy following the Lord. So what do you wish to convey from these verses? Or do you just allow the word to speak for itself?

Take Up The Cross

Great verses jaerod. It is definitely not easy following the Lord. So what do you wish to convey from these verses? Or do you just allow the word to speak for itself?

I believe I wanted to show how much meaning we can find in the Cross. I do not believe it is an image to be idolized as some have recently mentioned but the events and correlation that “simple” word entails much of our faith for many different reasons. Such as the multitude of Love, sacrifice, grace, gratitude, endurance and security. To me it is very similar to "The Lord's Super" as well, both seemingly such "simple" acts/images instill and say so much about the gospel on their own. For a lack of a better analogy, I believe in of itself it carries a concentrated/condensed wealth of information.

The figurative Crosses we each bear bring us challenges and trials but is bitter sweet in that it also shares the much needed hope that we all need. It appears to hold blessings found amongst what we would normally consider hardships. Any time that something good can be brought from something seemingly tragic is very beautiful to my eyes, even though I may find sorrow in what our Lord has endured for us I am grateful and this reminder further cements my knowledge of Christ’s Love for mankind. Our Crosses are heavy but well worth the reward which is imparted to us.

I really enjoyed this post..

Something new occured to me, maybe the spirit revealed it, I am not sure, but praise God, I saw a new light in these scriptors...lol, I would say everyone has already noticed it but me..:)

38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

I saw this in a new light because for my whole life I always understood this as meaning that a man that should lose his life physically as in actually die, but now I understand that the LORD was referring to a man losing his life in the sense that giving up the life he had known to follow that of the will of the Father.. O praise be to the LORD! I am so happy for a spirit that guides and teaches!

thank you so much for posting this!

Take Up The Cross

Something new occured to me, maybe the spirit revealed it, I am not sure, but praise God, I saw a new light in these scriptors...lol, I would say everyone has already noticed it but me..:)

I saw this in a new light because for my whole life I always understood this as meaning that a man that should lose his life physically as in actually die, but now I understand that the LORD was referring to a man losing his life in the sense that giving up the life he had known to follow that of the will of the Father.. O praise be to the LORD! I am so happy for a spirit that guides and teaches!

What a beautiful comment! Regardless of who has or hasn't made these connections, I very much value your insight. A smile appeared on my face reading your response. 8)

Amen. Great point. We must die to self in order to follow Christ and often that is a daily thing, even a moment by moment thing, for the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

What was Jesus calling us to? He simply wants us to lay down our old lives and walk in the newness of life He has purchased for us.
What the old man wants and who the new man is are complete opposites.
Without death to self one will never find who that one was created to be.
To the old way of thinking this is hard but in truth this is where freedom waits.

What was Jesus calling us to? He simply wants us to lay down our old lives and walk in the newness of life He has purchased for us.
What the old man wants and who the new man is are complete opposites.
Without death to self one will never find who that one was created to be.
To the old way of thinking this is hard but in truth this is where freedom waits.

amen and amen

Exactly .... We must take up our cross and follow Him whom to know is life eternal . Sometimes our crosses will not be what we expect but through it all we have Jesus and He will see us through all trials , all temptations , all sickness , all difficulties that life throws at us . In order for us to grow spiritually we need all these valleys in our life .

Then we can tell others what the Lord has done for us .

You know, I have read a book call 90 minutes in heaven. In it is a true story about a man named Piper who had a car accident and died. The story is several pages long but what I want to say was that there are no sad slow songs in heaven. He said that there is only fast victorious songs like he reigns, the end of the beginning. I’ll fly away. He never saw Jesus or God the Father, his favorite saying is that Heaven is a buffet for the senses. Just as he had entered through the gate that leads into the golden city, and was walking on the streets of Gold, it was all fading away. He was being brought back into his body. He says he did not want to leave. I believe Him with my whole heart that he was actually in heaven. I have also read 20 minutes in hell three times. It was a terrible story of hell and the things he saw. I never want to go there no matter what it takes.

Excellent Post: jaerod79:preach:
Excellent Testimony: New2Christ:dance:

You know, I have read a book call 90 minutes in heaven. In it is a true story about a man named Piper who had a car accident and died. The story is several pages long but what I want to say was that there are no sad slow songs in heaven. He said that there is only fast victorious songs like he reigns, the end of the beginning. I’ll fly away. He never saw Jesus or God the Father, his favorite saying is that Heaven is a buffet for the senses. Just as he had entered through the gate that leads into the golden city, and was walking on the streets of Gold, it was all fading away. He was being brought back into his body. He says he did not want to leave. I believe Him with my whole heart that he was actually in heaven. I have also read 20 minutes in hell three times. It was a terrible story of hell and the things he saw. I never want to go there no matter what it takes.

WOE!!!!

I would caution you to render “your beliefs and whole heart” only to God and HIS word. It is best to take our view of Heaven or Hell from God's inspired word and not from man's dreams or visions. The scriptures warns us about dreams:

Jeremiah 29:8. For thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Let not your prophets and your diviners, that be in the midst of you, deceive you, neither hearken to your dreams which ye cause to be dreamed.

Dreams are often the product of our perceive thoughts, wants and desires. That which we perceive, want or desire does not always serve our good.Good Day and God Bless

But dreams can also be a direct sign from god:
Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Discernment is the key in knowing what is of God and was is not.

Thank you Sister for posting this. I too was having a hard time understanding it. I think your evaluation makes perfect sense.

Dear Heavenly Father, I am coming to You with an open mind and heart so that the Spirit may gude and teach me also. I long to understand Your word Lord. Thanking You in Jesus' name, Amen

OPne can never get tired of reading these verses , Jaerod and as I read them again this verse jumped out
1 Corinthians 1:18
18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

How true this is that non- Christians think we are all foolish for believing in Jesus Christ but we know differently as we have proved the power of God in our lives over and over again . We have testimonies of His goodness , His love and His saving , keeping power . He sustains us through the deepest valleys and is there all the time and He places us on the mountain tops so that we can soar like Eagles and not be weary . Praise His mighty name .

But dreams can also be a direct sign from god:

True....and dreams can also not be a direct sign from God. But, in any case we have a more sure word of prohesy, much better than dreams or even a voice from Heaven:

2 Peter 18-19. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Our sure word is The Bible, a souce we need not to question.

Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

These words spoken by Joel and Peter are true and were partially fulfilled via the cross and events during the early Church. I would think that these prophesies, visions and dreams will bring more insight to our understanding of scripture, thus illuminate and bring more clarity to that which has already been written. Such will not usurp the written word, if it does, it should be rejected.

Discernment is the key in knowing what is of God and was is not.

True.

The source of discerment is God, our tool for discernment is His word. The way we are to discern is to subject all things to scripture:

• 1 Thessalonians 5:21. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
  • John 7:24. Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
  • 1 John 4:1. Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
Good Day and God Bless

The more we abide in Christ and let Him live in and through us, the easier it is to take up the cross!

Praise God! :D

Because we become more like Him, loving what He loves, disliking what He dislikes, knowing what is right, what is wrong, what matters, what doesn't matter, knowing Him more deeply, living by His Spirit, knowing how to let Him live through us, learning from the Master, thinking as He thinks, ... to a point that the influence of our flesh is lessened more and more each day and our purpose in life lines up with His purpose, our plans agree with His plan, His ways become our ways. It is so exciting!!! :D

Because we become more like Him, loving what He loves, disliking what He dislikes, knowing what is right, what is wrong, what matters, what doesn't matter, knowing Him more deeply, living by His Spirit, knowing how to let Him live through us, learning from the Master, thinking as He thinks, ... to a point that the influence of our flesh is lessened more and more each day and our purpose in life lines up with His purpose, our plans agree with His plan, His ways become our ways. It is so exciting!!! :D

Excellent response!!!:amen:

The growth in Christ does make it easier for us retain our walk in righteousness, even when the road it truly hard. As we grow we should see thing added to strengthen us during our difficult walk:

2 Peter 1:4-11
4. Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6. And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7. And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
11. For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Good Day and God Bless

Back