Sunday School - June 28, 2009

Sunday School - June 28, 2009

Judgment that yields to fear reflects not the evidence of a saving faith; for fear that produces doubt is a deterrent to righteousness for all who desire to abide in such. Although fear is an uncontrollable emotion, which often proceed without permission, fear is an emotion that is better subdued in silence and immediately taken to task by prayer.

Psalms 64:1. Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer: preserve my life from fear of the enemy.

Matthew 6:13. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

For in prayer, we are given grace to endure the unknown, such is the appropriate response to fear and such gives honor to God who reign sovereign over all. Thus, fear that results in prayer, converts fear to hope and transforms doubt into trust.

Trust reflects prudent judgment free from the influence of fear; such is to follow that which is tried and true, not the carnal counsel of hopelessness and horror that rest not on a foundation of faith. Trust yields to faith and follows that which our Lord commands; for if fear enters our path, such is only a pebble in the road, a minor obstacle that we may maneuver with ease.

Matthew 7:24-25. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

As Christians, we must never fear doing that which is right; for He who commands us to do so, will also give us the strength to comply.

Philippians 4:13. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

This week's lesson is again from the book of Exodus. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (June 28, 2009) comes from Exodus 14:15-25, 30a.

Pharaoh eventually surrendered to the authority of God and gave permission to Israel to leave Egypt. However, in the aftermath of Israel’s exit, Pharaoh soon forgot the wrath brought upon the Egyptians by God and allows anger and pride to cloud his judgment. Thus, the Egyptians allow emotions to guide their response and followed their prideful will to bring Israel again under bondage. In response, the almighty God sealed their desire by not allowing grace to remove their ill will; such was to harden (make unchangeable) one’s heart in its current state of ill will, a state that will resist and repel all wise counsel.

Exodus 14:4. And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, that he shall follow after them; and I will be honoured upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host; that the Egyptians may know that I am the Lord. And they did so.

Moses and the Israelites are now in the desert, pinned in by the Red sea and mountains and under pursuit by Pharaoh’s mighty army. Their location and predicament is not of chance but given to the providence of God; for God has deems such to show His power and to bring honor to Himself.

The Lord posed a rhetorical question to Moses “Wherefore criest thou unto me? (Exodus 14:15)” this was probably in response to Moses (prayerful) plea for God to assist their situation, such is not clear; however, given God’s response in the past, there should be no doubt that He would protect His people. God proceeded to tell Moses to go forward with the people. Moses was also instructed to lift up his hand to motion the sea to divide, such would allow all of Israel to go to the other side on dry ground. This was a miracle done by God, Who always provides a way of escape for His people, when they are tempted (by fear or other means) but remains obedient toward Him.

1 Corinthians 10:13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

God informed Moses that He would harden the Egyptians hearts so they would follow them; such would not be an act of forcing the Egyptians to pursue, this hardening would allow the Egyptians’ desired will to continue unabated. These Egyptian only had to heed to simple wisdom given to both saints and sinners “Be careful what you wish for”, for many consequences may follow.

Job 4:8. Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same.

As the Israelite move through the miraculous pathway within the sea, the Angel of God, which went before them, removed and went behind them. In doing so, the angel of God moved the pillar of cloud to the rear of the Israelite; this cloud became a cloud of darkness to the Egyptian army, but gave light by night to the Israelites. This cloud also served as a barrier that separated the two camps. Such was God’s comprehensive process of salvation from a powerful and mighty enemy, a process that will allow the enemy to be snared by their own trap; for evil has its just reward.

Psalms 9:16. The Lord is known by the judgment which he executeth: the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Higgaion. Selah.

Under the cloud of darkness, the Egyptians pursued and went in after the Israelites through the midst of the sea. The Lord caused confusion for the Egyptian army by taken off their chariot wheels, such brought discernment to the Egyptians as they realized that the Lord was fighting against them. Often a continuous pursuit of sin, ends not with a cure (repentance) but in wrath; such was the fate of Pharaoh’s army and such is the ultimate fate of all Who choose not the cure, which is repentance through Godly sorrow (2 Corinthians 7:10) and the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (Romans 10:9-10).

After the crossing of the Israelites, water rushed back into the seabed and consumed the Egyptians in the midst of the sea; thus the Lord saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians (Exodus 14:30a). God also offers the ultimate plan of salvation, that which is provided through His Son and Savior, Jesus the Christ; such is available to Israelites, Egyptians and all Gentiles alike. Just as the Israelites, we too must be obedient and follow Him.

Jude 1:5. I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

:israel:Let us not allow fear to cause us to believed not……

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (those who desire hope not fear and wish to trust not doubt) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

Back