Sunday School - January 4, 2009

Sunday School - January 4, 2009

I discovered in times past that verbal agreements or contracts are often consistent in value to the paper on which they are written. Even those agreements or contracts properly documented with man’s faithful intentions to honor, are at best, a reflection of man’s integrity than man’s ability to fulfill. Such concludes that in all man’s efforts, he can only produce a measured probability consistent with his desires and efforts. An honest man’s inability to deliver all of which he is obligated or desire, reveals man’s limitations, for the fulfillment of man’s obligations, desires or wishes must first render to the will of God. In all of man’s given powers, man knowest not what a day may bring (Proverbs 27:1).

James 4:14-16
14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

I have also discovered that a faithful servant name Abraham had a friend, who is God (James 2:23). God faithfully fulfills all that He promise, for God renders His desires and wishes to no superior will nor has He any limitations. If we do as God commands, we too can be his friend; if our desires and wishes are consistent with His will, through him we can fulfill all things.

John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Psalms 37:4. Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

This week’s lesson is from the book of Exodus. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (January 4, 2009) comes from Exodus 1:8-21.

Prior to the events of this lesson, the children of Israel are residing in Egypt, living in the good land of Goshen (Gen. 45:10). The children of Israel had experienced many years of peace and prosperity, a period of rest under God’s protection and a time of strengthening and growth (Exodus 1:1-7). Such is similar to the rest God provided the Church, prior the mighty ministry of Paul and subsequent resumptions of persecution (Acts 9:31). In a sinful world, good will eventually confront evil or worst, conform to such.

2 Timothy 3:12. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

1 Peter 4:12-13.
12:Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13:But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy

This lesson began with a new King/Pharaoh in Egypt (Exodus 1:8-10), one who knew not the history of Joseph. The new Pharaoh feared the tremendous growth and prosperity of the children of Israel. Often when fear has no foundation, an evil mind will consider the action of his foe to be his response, if he were the foe. Although this line of thought is irrational, such are the fruits of evil intentions, to serve more to a selfish desire than a favorable course of action. The unwise and unfounded fear of Pharaoh would prove to undermine what may have been Egypt’s greatest resource, those with the knowledge of the one and only true God.

Pharaoh first attempt (Exodus 1:11-14), to break and impede the growth of the children of Israel, was to put them under bondage with taskmasters; overwhelm them with massive building projects; and place them in all manner of service in the field, all of which were rigorous. But the more Pharaoh afflicted them, the more children of Israel multiplied and grew.

Pharaoh’s second attempt was to use two midwives (Shiphrah and Puah) to kill all male babies during birth. However, the midwives feared a more powerful ruler (God) and did not that which Pharaoh requested, but did that which was pleasing to God. Pharaoh probably knew less about their God, than he knew of Joseph. Although the midwives explanation may not have been credible to Pharaoh, it was not God’s will that he harms them, for a man of Pharaoh’s authority would probably have people killed for a lesser crime. Even with an attempt to kill all male babies, the children of Israel multiplied and waxed very mighty and God dealt well with the two faithful midwives by blessing them with families of their own.

Proverbs 21:1. The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

The events prior to this lesson (Exodus 1:1-7) and those in this lesson are the results of a promise made by God:

Genesis 12:2-3
2. And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
3. And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

This promise was a unilateral agreement, independent of man’s approval or disapproval; such is subject to no greater authority than He who made it. As were the two midwives, our obedience should be first to Him who is able to fulfill all contracts, agreements and promises. Because God’s Will, will reign supreme.

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (those who wish to know the true Promise Keeper) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

Back