Sunday School - August 30, 2009

Sunday School - August 30, 2009

A life that is lived in absence of sin is superior, even to a life that is restored from sin through repentance. For all sin has an irrevocable guarantee, which states “consequences will surely follow (Galatians 6:7)”.

Job 4:8 Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same.

John 15:2. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth (prunes – NKJV) it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

The pruning away of sin will yield invaluable knowledge as to the price of sin; however, to master the ability to flee sin, reflects true wisdom. Thus, it becomes imperative that we contemplate our true motives before we act to determine if such are good or bad; In addition, we must consider the potential consequences of our actions, if such will render blessings or curse.

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

We all are seeds of Adam and being such, we all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). However, as Christians we are justified freely by God’s grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus (Romans 3:24); our greatest accomplishment is not of our own works, but our act of faith in Him who has removed the consequences of sin. Thus, Godly wisdom proves this act of faith to be a true blessing and renders the lack thereof, to be a curse. Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God (Romans 5:1-2).

If that which we do can never be undone, all that we do must be done in view of that which is sure to follow. For in the end, our life truly reflects the consequences of our actions.

This week's lesson is again from the book of Deuteronomy. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (August 30, 2009) comes from Deuteronomy 30:1-10.

This lesson begins with Moses giving the congregation a final reminder of their covenant with God, prior to their move into the promise land; such includes conditions under which they are to abide. Sadly, Moses informs them that they would break the covenant, yet he instructs how such could be restored. When the curse of breaking the covenant is upon them, they are to bring to mind their need to obey God’s commandments with all their heart and soul. Such is the immeasurable grace of God, to forgive and restore even the repetitive sinner (Matthew 18:21-22).

2 Chronicles 7:14. If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Sin of man does not cause God to abandon man, however, sin does require judgment and discipline for the purpose of bringing about the restoration of man. For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth (Hebrews 12:6).

Moses informed the Israelites that they would fall out of covenant, but in all their failures God will eventually fulfill His promise with Abraham. Such would be the work of God, for He will circumcise their hearts, and the hearts of their seeds, that they may live. Such would be to live a life exemplified by blessings with new hearts, which desires the will of God, obedient hearts that walk not in the path of iniquity. This is the promise to the Israelites and such is realized in us (who are Christians) today:

Ezekiel 11:19-20. And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Upon restoration, God will remove the curse upon the Israelites and punished the enemies that persecuted them. God will prosper everything they do and give them many children and cattle and bountiful crops forever; for the Lord will again rejoice over them as He did over their fathers. Such is a promise not realized, yet a promise God will keep; for the Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is Longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9).

To receive the blessings of God’s promise, Moses admonished the Israelites to hearken unto the voice of the Lord, keep His commandments and turn unto the Lord with all of their heart and soul. As Christians, we too are children of Abraham, those who are of the faith; thus, we are admonished to do the same, for all which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham, both Israelites and Christians alike (Galatians 3:6-9).

1 Corinthians 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (those who desire the blessed promises of God) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

This thread concludes the end of my personal weekly Sunday School Lesson summary/commentary, which begin thirteen months ago (8 months at CFS). Such has been an exciting journey for me; a weekly task I have completed with much anticipation, joy and satisfaction as I searched through scriptures to acquire and convey that which I have learned. I would like to thank all who have read, perused, post in reply, or sent private emails in response to my weekly thread.

If such is God’s will, it is my hope that I have been used to provided insight for further growth in Christ; or better yet, that I were used to show a need for Christ. Also, I would like to thank Christian Forum Site for providing the venue for my weekly thread, such I consider a privilege, for it too is a gift from God.

To all, please do remember:

1. Subject all things to Scripture, the final authority
2. Sunday School is not just for Kids; it is also for the Humble at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

I for one have really enjoyed your Threads and all the work that you put into them . I really think they are all a labour of love and God has gifted you to write and put these lessons all together .

Thank you from the bottom of my heart and even though I did not comment on all of them does not mean that I did not read them .

Thank you for your faithfulness.

bless123.jpg

Back