Sunday School - August 2, 2009

Sunday School - August 2, 2009

Absence of a consensus or personal claim of ownership, it is common to find fault in a plan or an operation that is managed by another. The lack of risk associated with personal failure in matters of another, often removes our inhibitions to voice a campaign of slander and smear. Although this is a common practice for many, this method of disparaging the works of another is of no value in solving the real or perceived fault at hand. In the end, this feeble act of bitterness and bickering speaks more to the incompetence of the complainer and less to the complainer’s ability to improve or resolve the matter they so boastfully disdain.

Before we enter our opinions in a futile forum of rebuke, let us first consider the cost:

• Proverbs 16:28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.
  • Proverbs 18:19 A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city: and their contentions are like the bars of a castle.
Although it is not prudent or wise to condone or disregard a fail plan or practice, as Christians, we must address all concerns in the light of wisdom. Such is to assist and support in a manner that gives glory to our God, for His light reveals His wisdom, a wisdom that is the will and admonition of God.

1 Corinthians 10:31. Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

If giving glory to God is in focus and His wisdom becomes our guide, all that are our concerns are taken to Him. For through Him and by Him are all plans ordered and fulfilled, and in Him are all failed plans of humans resolved. Thus, He is our forum to voice our complaints to resolve the issues or problems we have with another or to remove our inability to accept His will.

Psalms 142:1-2. I cried unto the Lord with my voice; with my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication. I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.

Philippians 4:6. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Sinful man will forever find reason to complain; however, a sinner saved by God’s Grace has been given a complaint department, which consists of both Mediator (1 Timothy 2:5) and Savior (Titus 3:6).

This week's lesson is from the book of Numbers. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (August 2, 2009) comes from Numbers 11:1-6, 10-15.

Not many months after the miraculous parting of the Red Sea, the Israelites began to complain. Although the source of their grumbling was not stated, they angered God to the point that He sent fire down to burn them, even to consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp. This surely proves that patients and longsuffering has a tolerance. However, God being a God of grace heard the prayers of Moses and quenched the fire. Given the ill-content behavior of the people, God called the name of the place “Teberah”, because the fire of the Lord burnt among them. Such is the devastating effects of tempting a holy and powerful God, the potential risk of personal destruction of both body and soul.

Matthew 4:7. Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Matthew 10:28. And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The mixed multitude among the Jews enticed the Jews to join in their complaint against God’s provisional diet, their daily portion of manna. This group of renegades were most likely Egyptians, who accompanied the Israelites only as protection against the destruction brought upon their fellow countrymen by the God of Israel. Their allegiances only suited their personal comforts and reflected not their will or desire to please the almighty God. These instigators caused the children of Israel to complain again, this time about their limited diet of manna. Now they were lusting for the fruits and flesh they had eaten under bondage in Egypt. Thus, sin again brings man under bondage, when man supposedly desires the abundance of food and slavery in lieu of contentment, liberty and the nutritional provisions freely given by God. This type of infiltration continues today within the local church, where many believe and acknowledge Christ as God’s ordained Savior, but choose not to accept Him as their Lord and Savior. These also seek only that which pleases their own desires and encouraging others to do the same.

Romans 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Moses heard the grumbling of the people, which displeased him and kindle the anger of the almighty God. Their grievances had no merit or value, given the fact that all their needs and requirements were met. Their complaints and criticism revealed their covetous desire, a desire that will always exceed that which is allotted by God, a desire that will never find contentment. The people of Israel would have been wise to have presented a petition of prayer than a contemptible rebuke of their God, the God who supplies all of their needs.

Moses stated his concerns to God, for he knew all resolutions rest only in the sovereign will of God. Although Moses too seems to complain, Moses concerns were made not in anger to God, but to the predicaments and challenges he was unable to handle. Thus, a cry or acknowledgment of weakness to the almighty God demonstrates wisdom not weakness and assures success not failure.

2 Corinthians 12:10. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Moses knew that without God’s favor or grace, even life as a leader of God’s chosen people, would be a life not desirable of living (Numbers 11:15).

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (those who wish to be rid of grumbling) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

Please .... The Moderator Staff asks you to respect the original posters thread and this is not topic orientated .. thank you for your compliance

Back