Sunday School - April 5, 2009

Sunday School - April 5, 2009

When we commit sinful acts, confess and repent of sinful acts, and receive forgiveness for the sinful acts, at best we will receive a commutation for the sin we have committed. This commutation provides only a lessening of the consequences from the sin we have committed. As a result, sin committed in this temporal world is often forgiven but never forgotten (i.e. consequences will follow). Such is the price of sin, such are the penalties sown by our own sinful deeds.

2 Samuel 12:13-14.
And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said unto David, The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die. Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

When God’s eternal call becomes effectual, justification and glorification will follow (Romans 8:30), and then all sin will be pardon with no memory or residual stain left behind. This effectual call is the accepted call unto salvation, an acceptance made through repentance and faith in Christ. Such is the ultimate gift from God, the sacrifice of His Righteous Son to pay for the sins of the unjust man.

In this temporal world we need commutation for our sins. However, if we value that which awaits us in eternity, we will diligently seek Him who provides a full pardon of our sins. Thus, when He calls or draw, we must both heed and accept.

Matthew 22:14. For many are called, but few are chosen.

John 6:44. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

This week's lesson begins a series of lessons written by the Gentile writer/doctor Luke, given by the inspiration of God (2 Timothy 3:16); this lesson comes from “The Gospel According to St. Luke”. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (April 5, 2009) comes from Luke 23:32-47.

This lessons represents one of the most important act (
if not the most important) anticipated by the heavenly host, hopeful man and all of God’s creation; an act spoken of by the Law and Prophets through shadows, types and visions. What was in past time hidden in mysteries, now revealed at Calvary. God’s personal and Perfect Sacrifice, given freely to reconcile man to Him.

This lesson begins with Christ being lead to His treacherous death on Calvary in company with two other malefactors. The unrighteous act of man, the chosen means to a destiny determined by God. Thus, a true prophecy stated is a prophecy fulfilled “he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors (Isaiah 53:12)”.

In all that He received there was no mercy or grace, only an abundance of mockery, taunting, spiting and deriding. During such, Jesus petitioned His Father for their forgiveness. For His love transcend even the sin of ignorance, to perform a good they lack the knowledge to desire.

Through mockery, yet prophetic, they made a superscription “This is the King of the Jews”. A superscription written in multiple languages, for all to know for certain, the title given to the man, they crucified on the cross.

Both malefactors took part in the ridicule of Christ (Matthew 27:44), but one came to heed and accept his call; even in the threshold of death, there may be a call in need of an answer. Such reflects the endless efforts of our Lord, even in His time of despair; He gives pardon to a sinner who recently persecuted Him.

Luke 23:42-43.
And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Hebrews 7:25. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Between the sixth hour and the ninth hour Christ took on all our sins, a tasked that caused creation to shutter (Luke 23:44-45) and separated Him from His Father, for God commune not with sin (Matthew 27:46). When the perfect sacrifice was provided unto death for sin, justice is met for the atonement of sin. The veil in the temple that separated the holy place and the most holy was rent, thus removing the barrier between God and man; for Jesus has reconciled man to God. Jesus cried with a loud voice and commended His spirit to the Father, for He had finished that which He had come to do (John 19:30).

This event provided a testimony to the centurion in attendance, for in seeing he believed and glorified God, saying, certainly this was a righteous man (Luke 23:47). As Christians, we must do so as well. Although we did not see the event at the cross, we do have a more sure word of prophesy, the inerrant complete word of God (2 Peter 1:19).

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (
those who are in need of a full pardon of sins) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

Back