1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Requests for Assistance' started by KingSir, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Whenever I open up my bible and start to read, after acouple verses my mind starts to lose focus and I end up forgetting everything that I just read. Its annoying and I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem when studying or reading their bibles. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
  2. Yes....When I first got saved, I didn't have any real guidance and made a mess of things and did more damage than good. In that time period, I was trying to force the Word into my mind and follow deep theology when what I needed was the Gospel.

Paul said that his new converts needed to be fed with 'babies milk'/ 'mother's milk'. When I realized I was trying too hard-it was ME trying to do the work and not letting the Spirit guide me. When I let go and let the Spirit guide me, I got the 'milk' not the 'meat'-I wasn't ready for the meat-YET....

John 6, Christ teaches about the 'bread' of heaven and how He is the bread of heaven-we must "consume" the Word. The Word is Jesus Christ. (John 1). BUT, we also have to digest-but if our spirit is not ready to eat certain doctrines-it will not stay down. We will 'vomit' it out of our spirit for lack of a better term. But when we are ready; it will stay down.

After I found a Bible believing Church, started fellowship and a guided Bible study, I was able to keep more and more of the meat down. In my own studies I concentrated on the Gospels first, then the Epistles and purposely was steered away from prophecy. To this day I am still not involved much in deciphering prophesy. But after learning of Christ first and following Him more closely, I began to see the love in the Old Testament wheras before it seemed like it was the story of an angry God.

The New Testament opened up my understanding of the Old Testament and increased my faith in the reality of God.

Matthew 11:
    28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Hebrews 5:12
    For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

1 Corinthians 3:2
    I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

Try these once a day for a week:

Spiritual Diet: Consume the Word John 1:1-14, John 6:31-67

Appetizer: Luke 12:22-32 Faith
    Soup: Matthew 5:1-16 Blessings
    Salad: Revelation 4, Revelation 7:9-12, Revelation 21:4-5, Revelation 22:1-5 Hope
    Entree': John 17 Love
    Dessert: Ephesians 6:10-18 Protection

Got the 'fundamentals' down under your feet so you don't slip off the 'ROCK'!
    mommytobof3, hparsnips and KingSir says Amen and like this.
  3. People actually crave consistency. Reading the Bible is new for you, so it violates that consistency. I would suggest simply to find a specific time of the day (NOT right before bedtime), set up a quite corner, maybe play some quiet music, and read for 15 or 20 minutes. Do it the same time every single day, and do not allow any other thoughts in. You might have the same problem at first, but your body and mind will eventually be trained to focus during that time. It's just like any other type of exercise routine. It takes time for your body and mind to adjust, but if you are consistent, you will find it easier and easier after a few weeks and then you can increase your time (which I think you will do automatically because once you start exploring the Bible, you naturally want to go deeper).
    mommytobof3, KingSir and Brother_Mike_V says Amen and like this.
  4. Hi there; make a point of reading a chapter systematically and prayerfully. Then maybe later, go back and read it again; you'll be suprised both at how much you remember but also at how much you may have missed previously. The Word of God is so rich.

God bless His Word to you; its central theme is the One Who is the living and eternal Word Himself, the Lord Jesus Christ and His perfect, sin-atoning work at the Cross.
  5. I think there is benefit in both 'reading' and 'studying' as two independent different things. THE most important thing you can do is 'meditate' on God's Word after consuming it. Even if it is a single word or verse in the scripture.

I like to do an occasional word or phrase study. I have this Bible software that has the Greek & Hebrew and Strong's numbers with a bunch of different commentaries. I got it at 'Dollar General' for ten bucks years ago. Granted, I have to use Virtual Box and run it in WinXP to get it too work nowadays, but it is a great tool.

The key to the Wisdom & Knowledge of God is allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you in your studying and formulating what works best for you.

6. Agreed. My personal quiet time is started with a devotional. If you don't have one, I strongly recommend getting one. I'm currently using My Utmost for His Highest. Basically, I read my devotional, and whenever there is a Scripture reference, rather than just reading the verse suggested, I'll read the whole chapter. 90% of the time, that gives me 3 or 4 chapters a day, which is plenty because any more than that and you run the risk of not digesting what you read. On the days when there's only 1 chapter given, I will see what topic sticks out to me, and then chain-reference it through a few more chapters. Either way, I write them down, and read the same chapters once more before I go to bed. It only takes about 20 minutes, and I retain what I read much better that way, plus I think reading the Word is a great way to end your day.

But what works for me may not necessarily work for you. We are all different. Try it a few different ways and see what works best for you, although I think a solid devotional is a must.
    hparsnips likes this.
  7. PS: Also, Ephesians speaks of 'the washing of water by the Word'. In other words, even if our minds don't take in everything that is mentioned in a Scripture passage, the fact that we are doing it regularly and the fact that it may stay in the memory, can have a cleansing effect upon us.

8. Brother Mike:

I got a good large print Bible (in the King James) at a dollar store some years ago. You can get some really good deals if you watch out for them.