Strange Weather

Discussion in 'Environmental Issues' started by Whirlwind, Apr 20, 2008.

1. You got a point there.;)
    That might look like I got fungus growing out of my toes.
    But fungus or painted toenails… either one should keep those pesky neigbors away from me. :eek::D:D

2. Rain or shine, snow or blistering heat, Dean...you're just too cool!:cool:

3. So I haven't been feeling too well lately, I was laying down taking a nap yesterday when I heard the strangest thing...

IN REVERSE...thunder. I heard the echo first, kkkkkkkkkkkkkk...building up louder and louder. And then at the end, KA-PLOW!!!! It rattled the windows and such. I just about fell out of bed! Strangest thing I ever heard, like something crashing out of the sky. I got up and looked out the window, and I saw rain in the south, down the canyon.

I've never heard thunder in reverse before. I called my mom and asked her, she said the thunder sounded regular-flavored there at her house.

*shrugs*

Oh well...

:eek:

4. Whirlwind - the key word there is 'canyon'. If lightning strikes precisely at the far end of a canyon, the sound pressure wave bounces off everything below the top of the canyon creating a harmonic resonance in some cases that can actually be felt through the ground. Once the pressure wave reaches an open end to the canyon or the terrain just naturally flattens out, the pressure wave then releases it's energy as a regular thunderclap. This is a fairly common occurance west of the Mississippi River in many states and you can feel fortunate that you experienced one of these. Kind of frightening the first time it happens in your immediate area. The sound pressure wave was probably traveling at close to 1130 feet per second, so that must have been a fairly long canyon.

BOOM ! :eek:

5. Thanks, Pastor!:)

It's the oddest thing I ever heard, honestly. It started off soft, gradually built, and then just crashed into our house. I've heard echos of thunder first, but this was like if you took a thunder blast and played it backward at normal speed and volume.

Very interesting! I can't wait to hear another one! Thanks for the explanation, I never knew something like this could happen. You learn something new every day!:D

6. Wow, we had some thunder too after my birthday. It's been a long time since we've had a thunderstorm in California ever since, what...2006? It's kind of sad but true. I remember we did have some really really really LOUD thunderclaps near my home. My dog absolutely HATES thunder, so I had to stay up ALLLLLL night and comfort him. But I didn't mind, the thunder was just so dang loud. I mean it sounded like someone was dropping atom bombs behind our house!

You know, my grandmother has seen those rare formations of thunder called sprites. She's so lucky! They're really rare to see them.

She said that they were blue-white, and just started flashing across the sky in rows and that thunder didn't sound the same. I showed her a video of the sprites online and she said that was what she saw. How cool is that? :D

7. When I was 10 and my mom was in the hospital, the doctor called us in and told us that it was time to say goodbye to her. I was so sad! I couldn't imagine my life without my mom.

That night, we went to church with my aunt. I was on the car, crying, and I looked up at the sky. It was red!:eek: Then it was green! Then blue!

I went inside to tell my aunt, and she told me to stay inside and pray for my mom. But my cousins followed me outside and verified it for me...the sky was changing colors!

It was beautiful! Curtains of light were all over the place! They were moving fast and just dazzling!

It was the aurora borealis (or however you spell it). The northern lights. Here. In the desert!

Today my mom's old and fiesty. She gave birth to my baby sister a few years after leaving the hospital. But I always remember those northern lights in the sky over the church that night.

That was the year "Angel of the Morning" was on the top of the charts. That song always makes me sad and lonesome today, heh.:eek:

Funny things that are so rare are sometimes seen frequently.:D

8. Living in Arizona I saw some pretty neat things weather related, not so much here in North Carolina.

9. Hmmm, global warming?? I think not, climate change, yep, but warming, nope.
    We've just had the coolest summer on record for alot of years here in Australia.

10. When I was a child - which was about 20 or so years ago, in Summer, without fail, we would have a thunderstorm in the afternoon 3 out of 7 daysof the week at least. It would start to brew about mid afternoon, often breaking right on the time when school got out. Many a day I did the run home to beat the storm.
    We haven't had summers like that for years.

You know, if God wanted to, he could fix the planet back to it's original state in a blink of an eye!

11. We used to have those too when I was in the 3rd grade during a bad season of rainstorms for two years. Everyday after 3:00 these thunderstorms would come up and I'd sit in my room and watch the rain and the wind and listen to the thunder. People wouldn't believe me because I live in Southern California but this went on for about two to three years...just constant driving rain.

12. Okay - I forgot to post this.

Pray! Please?

Sunday we were coming home from Bend and there was a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig plume of smoke over the reservation (600,000 acres).

There was a fire!:eek:

I looked at my phone and there were messages from my mom and sister. The fire was right next door to my sister's house. They were calling in fire crews from all over. It was on the news that night.

They don't know how the fires started (but suspect fireworks).

The next day, there were two more (even before the first one was out).

Hoo-boy! I can tell how this fire season is going to look.:(

All of the fires are suspected human-caused.:confused:

13. If authorities and the court system were not so lax in their responsibilities, they would sentence arsonists and those who are responsible for brush fires by way of indifference, to stand in a morgue for 240 public service hours and observe the burned remains that come in from other fires. THAT has been done in certain jurisdictions and IS effective in making the criminals take notice of what their actions can result in. It is a judicial option that is used far too little in handing out effective sentencing.

14. 103-degrees over the last weekend.

There's still a record-amount of snow in the higher elevations; and with the heat comes thunderstorms in our area.

What funny is this:

Fire season has started. Over the weekend, lightning touched down and started some fires in the Mt. Hood area, where there's still plenty of snow on the ground. The lightning caused the canopy (tops of the trees) to burst into flames and start burning! :eek:

The fire never touched the ground. Firefighers on the news described how they had to struggle through the deep snow while fighting the fire.

Fire. And ice.

:eek:

15. Many persons do not know that naturally occuring wilderness fires are occasionally needed to reestablish forest areas and to guaranty their continuance. The conifer cones need heat to pop them open and allow them to fall to the ground, so lightning sparked fires in the tops of the evergreens accomplishes this.

16. Thank you! True

17. In our oral history interviews, we hear from our elders that in the past (pre-contact), people would set fire to the huckleberry picking areas at the end of the season...oh, around October?

This would cause a wildfire that would naturally burn itself out. This cleared the land, started new-growth, and refreshed the huckleberry bushes.

Today, we don't do that. And the huckleberries are beginning to vanish.:confused:

If we tried to start a fire today, we'd be sitting in jail with our lips all purple.:p

18. Hey, Whirlwind - it is currently SNOWING in the 'back 40' at Glacier National Park - YUP, July 02... ( higher elevations ).

19. Pastor, I remember watching a movie in a theater when I was a kid. It was called WAVES or something like that.

In this movie, there were radical weather patterns. Hot in one spot, large chunks of hail in the other. It was a sci-fi horror movie at the time. Everybody thought that it was so strange.

Today though, when I hear about flooding and fire in the same nation...it just seems the norm.:(

20. I remember visiting Mt. Hood as a child and seeing snow in June. Our forecast after tomorrow shows thunder storms every single day. Bring. it. on. We need rain.