Spiritual Sacrifices

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

What are these spiritual sacrifices?

Sacrifise of praise ( Praising God when everything in you does not want to )
Living as the written word of God directs us to ( Not picking and choosing but living as He has said to live )
Devoting ourselves totally to Christ
Denying the flesh and it's wants and desires.

Just what comes to my mind any way
God Bless
James W

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Notice: it is only "through" Jesus Christ these sacrifices can be done. It is Christ him self that offers sacrifices to God through us.

Heb 13:16 Do not forget or neglect to do kindness and good, to be generous and distribute and contribute to the needy [of the church as embodiment and proof of fellowship], for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.(AMP)

It is only through Christ we are able to do goodness, kindness, and to be generous to others. As Jesus said, "......without me you can do nothing" (John 15:5)

Last edited:

I have great respect for John Piper and enjoy his sermons. I remembered reading this one while studying some passages before. It talks right about the subject and passage you have mentioned

http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/becoming-a-spiritual-house-and-holy-priesthood

Here are some verses from my crossreference

1. Rom 12:1 KJVLite I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2. Heb 3:6 KJVLite But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

3. Heb 12:28 KJVLite Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:note

4. Rev 1:6 KJVLite And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

5. Rev 5:10 KJVLite And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

1. Isa 61:6 KJVLite But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

2. 1Co 3:9 KJVLite For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. note

3. 1Co 3:16 KJVLite Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

4. 1Co 6:19 KJVLite What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

5. 2Co 6:16 KJVLite And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Spiritual sacrifices in my mind is walking in the Spirit and not in the natural ways of this world. Refusing to submit to those things which Jesus has bought and paid for with His death, Blood and resurrection. Everything that salvation truly means Hebrew word is ישׁוּעה
yeshû‛âh
Phonetic: yesh-oo'-aw
  1. salvation, deliverance
    1. welfare, prosperity
    2. deliverance
    3. salvation (by God)
    4. victory
Greek word is
σωτηρία
Transliteration: sōtēria
Phonetic: so-tay-ree'-ah
rescue or safety (physically or morally): - deliver, health, salvation, save, saving.
From a primary word σῶς sōs̄ (contraction for the obsolete σάος saos, " safe" ); to save, that is, deliver or protect (literally or figuratively): - heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be (make) whole.

1 peter 2:11, 21...Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul
21)For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps

Blessings of grace and peace be yours in abundance

Back