Soul Sleep

Act 2:27 kjva Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Hell is an English mistranslation. The correct translation is Hades or the realm of the dead. Hades translation is "the grave".

Act 2:27 kjva Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Eph 3:15 kjva Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

I will even take it one step further.

1Co_6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

When the spirit goes back to God our soul goes along with it!!!

If you would have faith to believe this is where the Church is tody.....

Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Who could these men be that have been made perfect? ".....and to the spirits of just men made perfect, ....."

This is going to Church!!!!! "....the general assembly and Church....."

Hell is an English mistranslation. The correct translation is Hades or the realm of the dead. Hades translation is "the grave".
When the the spirit leaves, the body is dead! There is nothing left except flesh, blood, and bone. Have you ever noticed the personality of someone whose spirit has left their body?

When the the spirit leaves, the body is dead! There is nothing left except flesh, blood, and bone. Have you ever noticed the personality of someone whose spirit has left their body?

Ok, so why would you think our spirits are walking around heaven as ghosts.

Ok, so why would you think our spirits are walking around heaven as ghosts.
Let me ask you this question, When the Bible says ...

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

We are to come, "boldly to the throne of grace..." Where exactly is this throne, and how do you get there?

Let me ask you this question, When the Bible says ...

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

We are to come, "boldly to the throne of grace..." Where exactly is this throne, and how do you get there?

His throne is in heaven, and we Christians are anointed on earth with grace through the Holy Spirit that is in us. You get to share in His Grace by accepting Jesus as Savior Rom 10:9-10. You obtain His Grace by having a relationship with God. Notice it says in them..(John 4:14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.")

I will even take it one step further.

1Co_6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

When the spirit goes back to God our soul goes along with it!!!

If you would have faith to believe this is where the Church is tody.....

Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Who could these men be that have been made perfect? ".....and to the spirits of just men made perfect, ....."

This is going to Church!!!!! "....the general assembly and Church....."

Heb 12:23 amp And to the church (assembly) of the Firstborn who are registered [as citizens] in heaven, and to the God Who is Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous (the redeemed in heaven) who have been made perfect,

So then they must all be in Heaven................ Sleeping.............. ya, right........

Soul Sleep is Myth Busted by clear to understand scripture.

Pretty awesome. Great scripture also.

Brother, you are absolute right, the throne of grace is where God sits in his Glory. It is nowhere to be found on planet earth.
When the bible says God has raised us up and made us sit together in Heavenly place in Christ, it is not a play on words, or a analogy, it is reality.
Do you know anybody who believes this? Probably not, because instead of living in the Spirit, we are very very good at walking in the flesh. We are more flesh conscience, than we are Spiritually conscience. The Church today is waiting for something to happen, and then when it does we will believe it, which is exactly how this world works. Christians are suppose to believe first, and then experience these things, not the other way around. I would strongly encourage you to begin and find all these scripture that tell us where you are in Christ, and begin to confess and believe them even though all your mental and physical senses tell you the opposite.

Heb 12:23 amp And to the church (assembly) of the Firstborn who are registered [as citizens] in heaven, and to the God Who is Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous (the redeemed in heaven) who have been made perfect,

So then they must all be in Heaven................ Sleeping.............. ya, right........

Soul Sleep is Myth Busted by clear to understand scripture.

Pretty awesome. Great scripture also.

Brother, if this scripture is true, and it is, then why are not all Christians not experiencing it? If a person is "sleeping" are they aware of their surroundings? No. This is why scripture tells us.......

Eph 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. :)

Brother, if this scripture is true, and it is, then why are not all Christians not experiencing it? If a person is "sleeping" are they aware of their surroundings? No. This is why scripture tells us.......

Eph 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. :)
Eph. 5:14 is a saying directed at unbelievers. Also, Paul said that to be apart from the body is to be present with the Lord, and that it is much better for him to be with the Lord than on earth. He wouldn't say he'd prefer to be asleep.

Eph. 5:14 is a saying directed at unbelievers. Also, Paul said that to be apart from the body is to be present with the Lord, and that it is much better for him to be with the Lord than on earth. He wouldn't say he'd prefer to be asleep.

This is true, however, the purpose of "light" is not only to give "life", which, God is light, but it's purpose is also to give "vision". Without light from our sun, our physical eyes do not function. Neither do our spiritual eyes work without spiritual light. As this scripture tells us from the "ESV" Bible version which seems to be a little bit easier to understand....

Eph 5:13 But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible,
Eph 5:14 for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, "Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." (ESV)

When God shines his "light" on you, you see things that are not of this world!

Jesus told us that he was the "door" into the sheepfold, and if any man come to him he shall be able to go in and out of this door. The Apostle Paul told us that to be "absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.", But then he also told us, " but you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit...."(Romans 8:9). Also "if we live in the Spirit, let us also "walk" in the Spirit."(Gal 5:25) Walking refers to "transporting"

This is true, however, the purpose of "light" is not only to give "life", which, God is light, but it's purpose is also to give "vision". Without light from our sun, our physical eyes do not function. Neither do our spiritual eyes work without spiritual light. As this scripture tells us from the "ESV" Bible version which seems to be a little bit easier to understand....

Eph 5:13 But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible,
Eph 5:14 for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, "Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." (ESV)

When God shines his "light" on you, you see things that are not of this world!

Jesus told us that he was the "door" into the sheepfold, and if any man come to him he shall be able to go in and out of this door. The Apostle Paul told us that to be "absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.", But then he also told us, " but you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit...."(Romans 8:9). Also "if we live in the Spirit, let us also "walk" in the Spirit."(Gal 5:25) Walking refers to "transporting"
Uh... not sure what that has to do with soul sleep. And Rom. 8:9 is referring to the kind of people they are. Nothing to do with transporting anyone to heaven in those contexts.

Uh... not sure what that has to do with soul sleep. And Rom. 8:9 is referring to the kind of people they are. Nothing to do with transporting anyone to heaven in those contexts.
What it has to do with "soul" sleep is there is no such a thing. There is physical death that looks like someone is sleeping, but their soul is nowhere to be found in their body. You are either walking the light or the darkness. There is no middle gray. If you are walking in darkness in this life and you die you will still be in darkness after you die. The same goes for those who are walking in the light.

Well then, I won't be looking foreward to a bed in Heaven then. Spirits don't sleep anyway.

Was also looking at the Ressurection. The dead in Christ are raised first. anyway.......

Well then, I won't be looking foreward to a bed in Heaven then. Spirits don't sleep anyway.

Was also looking at the Ressurection. The dead in Christ are raised first. anyway.......

That is interesting that you mention that. Many years ago the Lord gave my a vision of his Kingdom. In this vision I found myself in very wide open area, and as far as I could see there were beds all lined up in a row. It reminded me of a vacation I went on in central Calif many years ago, were there were fruit trees off the side of the freeway, and they were perfectly lined up row by row. In each of these beds there was a single person with there eyes closed and their hands folded across their chest. I asked the Lord , "who are these people?" The Lord said, "this is my Church" I said, "what are they doing?" He said, " they are sleeping". Then I said to him, " what does this have to do with me?" Then Lord said, "I want you to wake them up" Just as soon as the Lord said that, this scripture came to me....

Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Then the vision was over, and I thought to myself, "I have no idea how to wake up his Church" How do you speak to a brother Christian and look them straight into the eyes and tell them to "wake up?" It has taken years for the Lord to teach me exactly how to do this. It has to do with understanding of who we are and where we are in his Kingdom to actually experience this in our life's. When the Bible says that we are sitting on the right hand of God in Christ, it is not some make believe thing it is reality. We really are partakers of his divine nature as we stand before the King of Kings and fellowship with on his own turf and not of this world.

That is interesting that you mention that. Many years ago the Lord gave my a vision of his Kingdom. In this vision I found myself in very wide open area, and as far as I could see there were beds all lined up in a row. It reminded me of a vacation I went on in central Calif many years ago, were there were fruit trees off the side of the freeway, and they were perfectly lined up row by row. In each of these beds there was a single person with there eyes closed and their hands folded across their chest. I asked the Lord , "who are these people?" The Lord said, "this is my Church" I said, "what are they doing?" He said, " they are sleeping". Then I said to him, " what does this have to do with me?" Then Lord said, "I want you to wake them up" Just as soon as the Lord said that, this scripture came to me....

Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Then the vision was over, and I thought to myself, "I have no idea how to wake up his Church" How do you speak to a brother Christian and look them straight into the eyes and tell them to "wake up?" It has taken years for the Lord to teach me exactly how to do this. It has to do with understanding of who we are and where we are in his Kingdom to actually experience this in our life's. When the Bible says that we are sitting on the right hand of God in Christ, it is not some make believe thing it is reality. We really are partakers of his divine nature as we stand before the King of Kings and fellowship with on his own turf and not of this world.

Well, if the Lord helps you understand this, then share. Only lack of revelation and knowledge of the truth stop ones ability to walk in these things. (Provided they actually seek what's there)

When the Lord told me we are not to be subject to physical circumstances. I could only hear that knowing lots of other stuff.
Knowing though is not revelation knowing. When is the part that it becomes real and convinced?

The Lord has used me in some amazing things. I am greatful, but I see more in the Word.

The rule of God to rule with God enforcing his will on earth as it is in Heaven. (Kingdom of God in us) I know that, but see something else.

Gal 4:3 kjv+ Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:

Jesus knew he was not from this World and understood he was an ambassador from Heaven. He had imunity and came from a higher place that operated above Earths natural law.

Wife and I were talking today about the dead raised, limbs regrown. God using people to enforce his will on earth in greater ways.

Heb 11:35 kjv+ Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:

Seeing the goodness of God makes people happy. They get more than a Jesus track about not going to hell.

Seated in Heavenly places with him. Ya, I know that. Knowing though is not enough.

I am thinking Charater and maturity. Who would give a chainsaw to a child?

The Lord brings light to his Word, makes it real.

I hear what your saying.

You will find major revelations given now, mean God has planted something in you that when fully grown will scare the socks off Mr. Devil.

I can't twist God's arm, saying "I Know the scriptures now cause the increase".

I am pretty sure I would be responsible to walk in something I could not at this time be faithful with.

Folks say we need to get the church back to like the days of acts.
Whom much is given, much is requried. I don't believe the church wants that as two lay dead at Peters feet.

Thank you for sharing. Awesome stuff.

Three questions..

(1.) Since Hades is the grave where believers/nonbelievers are left unconscious, how or why did Jesus preach to the imprisoned spirits in Hades. (1 Peter 3:18-20 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19After being made alive,d he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,)

(2.) Since only the spirit represents "the breath", in 1 Kings 17:22 why is soul translated breath in the NET Bible. (NET - The LORD answered Elijah's prayer; the boy's breath returned to him and he lived. http://biblehub.com/1_kings/17-22.htm

(3.) If soul sleep is truth, then why pen down 2 Cor 5:8 and Phil 1:21-23.

- ATP

Quickly scanning the answers and I did not see one that spoke to your questions here in this post. That being the case allow me to point out the error of some of you assumptions and maybe that will help you. You of course are free to disagree with me as I am not the souse of all truth. Just an old county boy!

1). Your comment was.........
"Since Hades is the grave where believers/nonbelievers are left unconscious".

That is not Biblically true my brother.

Luke 16:23-27.......
"In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire."

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

Notice that the rich man could SEE. He had the ability to SPEAK. He could FEEL pain. He could communicate with Abraham.
He had a MEMORY.

UN-CONCIOUSE???? NOPE!

Why did Jesus preach to the souls in Hades? By the use of NOAH it indicates that these spirits were the souls of those whose rejected the preaching of Noah since they were the largest group of people ever to experience the judgment of God at one time.
This preaching then was the announcement of His victory on the cross which then sealed the fate of these doomed souls.

2) That is something you are going to have to ask the translators of the Net Bible.

3). IMO, both verses confirm that Biblically there is no such thing as "soul sleep". It may very well be a denominational teaching but not a Biblical one.

I agree, the soul and the spirit are separate, but what scripture says the soul goes to heaven or hell with consciousness to praise God.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 ..........
“And the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit (or soul) returns to God who gave it.”

Luke 23:43........
“Then he (the criminal) said, ‘Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom. Jesus answered him, ‘I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise’”.

All of heaven worship and praise God.

Rev. 5:9-11........
And they sang a new song, saying:“You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, 10 And have made kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth.”
11 Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands".

If you need more please do not hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
Seems you guys are only talking about 2/3 of a man. The other part is the soul. Breath + clay = living soul, Gen 2:7.
Here's what happens at death:

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV)
Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.​

Notice anything missing? The soul. This is on purpose because the destination is up to the owner. This whole matter is settled with Paul's word via the Holy Spirit:

2 Corinthians 5:6-8 (KJV)
Therefore [we are] always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight: ) We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.​

Can we put this subject to death now? ;)

Back