Something I was wondering

Cturtle - I found what you said to autumn oddity offensive - "In my opinion Your looking at this with a closed mind. One that is already made up on what you think. It seems to me like it would be good to have a better understanding of God's character."

This, in my opinion, was not just you disagreeing with this individual, or you stating a belief that is different, but it appeared to me that you were attacking this person's character, and it seemed to me that you were saying that you were right and this other person was wrong, and not just wrong but closed minded, and that this individual, in order to be right, needed to believe what you believe.

I happen to believe that what autumn oddity has expressed concerning Job, and concerning the sovereignty of God, from what I recall of what this member has written on these two subjects, is in line with the teaching of scripture, as a whole, and with what is written in the book of Job, and which, I, too, have expressed here in writing. Yet, I know that not everyone here is going to believe the same as me.

I believe that you, as a moderator, must be careful that you don't use your position of authority here to force your beliefs on others, and to possibly infer that others are somehow not open-minded to the truth of God's Word just because they hold to a belief different from yours, unless, of course, they don't believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of their lives.

Respectfully and lovingly submitted -

Sue Love
Greetings SueJLove
Thank you for your reply and your view on things. I apologize if you found anything offensive to You that was written to any other member.

I agree we won't all always agree and sometimes we are guilty of doing the very same things we accuse others of doing.

I know Cturtle personally and I know she does not write with anger or insist on her ways and I wonder if you would have written this if post #57 had not been written
http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/something-i-was-wondering.46024/page-3#post-445254

Have a very blessed day
FCJ

Greetings Members
This thread is starting to get off course and will be monitored.

Please take this as a friendly warning and enjoy the day.
Blessings
FCJ

Hi all..thanks for your concern Sue..and Cturtle..but I'm not offended in the slightest... Everything is okay... And Fish catcher Jim..u definitely have my okay to close the thread...it was nice seeing everyone's different opinions. Thanks all who participated :)
Hi Autumn
Thank you for your loving kindness.
I was referring to the job topic since it was starting to cause disagreement.
Love ya Sister (y)
FCJ

Greetings SueJLove
Thank you for your reply and your view on things. I apologize if you found anything offensive to You that was written to any other member.

I agree we won't all always agree and sometimes we are guilty of doing the very same things we accuse others of doing.

I know Cturtle personally and I know she does not write with anger or insist on her ways and I wonder if you would have written this if post #57 had not been written
http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/something-i-was-wondering.46024/page-3#post-445254

Have a very blessed day
FCJ

Jim, I accept your apology. Thank you for your response.

'That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man,
which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
And be renewed in the spirit of your mind
;
(Eph 4:22,23)

Hello autumn oddity,

Fish Catcher Jim and Cturtle's points concerning our thoughts, and what we allow our minds to dwell on, is good. For our faith in God is of paramount importance, and the enemy of our souls would seek to destroy it. When we look at passages in Scripture which we find disturbing for one reason or another, as you have with thoughts of Judas, then I believe we must not allow those doubtful mental disputations to get the upper hand. For our understanding is flawed through human frailty and limited by the confines of our experience.

We have to trust God, and not let human sensibilities and fleshly considerations get in the way of that. Our sympathies and feelings of injustice are not to be trusted, for they are full of human bias, and so they can be used to deceive us. We have to stand on what we know to be true of God, commit these thoughts to Him, and move on in faith.

With love in Christ Jesus
Cariad

Well said my sister.

I was curious as to what various commentaries had to say on this subject of Judas' repentance, so I looked up Matthew 27:3 on Biblehub.com. I learned something I did not know before. The Greek word translated "repented" here is not the same word for "repent" when speaking of turning away from sin. Anyway, I copied some of what these various commentators said, because I wanted to know what they believed was meant by Judas' repentance. So, here is what they said in case anyone is interested. FYI: I don't know the theological bent of any of these commentators, but I think they are not all the same.

Ellicott’s Commentary on Matthew 27:3:

Repented himself.—The Greek word is not that commonly used for “repentance,” as involving a change of mind and heart, but is rather “regret,” a simple change of feeling. The coins which he had once gazed on and clutched at eagerly were now hateful in his sight, and their touch like that of molten metal from the furnace. He must get rid of them somehow. There is something terribly suggestive in the fact that here there were no tears as there had been in Peter’s repentance.

3338 metaméllomai (from 3326 /metá, "change after being with," and 3199 /mélō, "care, be concerned with") – properly, to experience a change of concern after a change of emotion and usually implying to regret, i.e. falling into emotional remorse afterwards (note the force of 3326 /metá).

Pulpit Commentary on Matthew 27:3:

Repented himself (μεταμεληθείς). This word (differing from μετανοέω, which expresses change of heart) denotes only a change of feeling, a desire that what has been done could be undone; this is not repentance in the Scripture sense; it springs not from love of God, it has not that character which calls for pardon.

Barnes’ notes on Matthew 27:3:

Then Judas, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself - This shows that Judas did not suppose that the affair would have resulted in this calamitous manner. He probably expected that Jesus would work a miracle to deliver himself, and not suffer this condemnation to come upon him. When he saw him taken, bound, tried, and condemned - when he saw that all probability that he would deliver himself was taken away - he was overwhelmed with disappointment, sorrow, and remorse. The word rendered "repented himself," it has been observed, does not of necessity denote a change "for the better," but "any" change of views and feelings. Here it evidently means no other change than that produced by the horrors of a guilty conscience, and by deep remorse for crime at its unexpected results. It was not saving repentance. That leads to a holy life this led to an increase of crime in his own death. True repentance leads the sinner to the Saviour. This led away from the Saviour to the gallows. Judas, if he had been a true penitent, would have come then to Jesus; would have confessed his crime at his feet, and sought for pardon there. But, overwhelmed with remorse and the conviction of vast guilt, he was not willing to come into his presence, and added to the crime of treason that of self-murder. Assuredly such a man could not be a true penitent.

Jamieson-Faussett-Brown Commentary on Matthew 27:3:

Repented himself—but, as the issue too sadly showed, it was "the sorrow of the world, which worketh death" (2Co 7:10).

Gil’s Exposition of Matthew 27:3:

repented himself: not for the sin, as committed against God and Christ; but as it brought a load of present guilt and horror upon his mind, and exposed him to everlasting punishment: it was not such a repentance by which he became wiser and better; but an excruciating, tormenting pain in his mind, by which he became worse; therefore a different word is here used than what commonly is for true repentance: it was not a godly sorrow for sin, or a sorrow for sin, as committed against God, which works repentance to salvation not to be repented of; but a worldly sorrow, which issues in death, as it did in him. It did not spring from the love of God, as evangelical repentance does, nor proceed in the fear of God, and his goodness; but was no other than a foretaste of that worm that dieth not, and of that fire which cannot be quenched: it was destitute of faith in Christ; he never did believe in him as the rest of the disciples did; see John 6:64, and that mourning which does not arise from looking to Jesus, or is not attended with faith in him, is never genuine.

Source: http://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/27-3.htm

Good question Sue. IMHO it appears that the Bible indicates that Judas was not saved.

Speaking of Judas, Jesus said in Matt. 26:24...........
“The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born”.

That to me says that God has a plan and it is a clear picture of the sovereignty of God and the will of man working together. God had, from ages past, determined that Christ would be betrayed by Judas, die on the cross for our sins, and be resurrected.

Judas made his own choices, and they were the source of his own damnation. Yet the choices fit perfectly into the sovereign plan of God. God controls not only the good, but also the evil of man to accomplish His own ends. Here we see Jesus condemning Judas, but considering that Judas travelled with Jesus for nearly three years, we know He also gave Judas ample opportunity for salvation and repentance. Even after his dreadful deed, Judas could have fallen on his knees to beg God’s forgiveness. But he did not. He may have felt some remorse born of fear, which caused him to return the money to the Pharisees, but he never repented, preferring instead to commit suicide, the ultimate act of selfishness.

Back