1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Some Christians Just Are Closer To God

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KingJ, Feb 14, 2014.

1. I have come to realize that some people just are closer to God then me.

God hears all our prayers! No debate there. But some seek and know more about God. Some are entrusted with more. Most of us love the Lord and serve Him faithfully but we just don't take those extra steps.

Now this post is not meant to knock any of them! In fact the complete opposite. Those that truly operate in gifts of the Holy Spirit. Those that receive real prophecies for others. Those that really go out of their way to help orphans, widows and homeless. I take my hat off to you!

When I was a teen I had a friend who wanted to commit suicide. I took him to a youth meeting at our church. The guy teaching was my 'current' age. Before the meeting he looked at us and said 'there is someone here who wants to commit suicide'. My friend mockingly whispered to me ''umm there are 50 youth here, what an educated guess to make him look holy''...this preacher fixed his gaze on my friend and said ''God says don't''. My hairs stood up, my friend had tears and went outside.

God is a righteous judge. He does not give a gift to someone undeserving. He does not give a title / position of leadership to someone undeserving. I would have no problem taking orders from someone who God chose to put above me at church or in heaven. Because I know for that, the individual was first humbler / more self sacrificing then me.

To hear more from God /get power / position of authority in heaven....works in reverse to how it is received on earth! Matt 18:1-4 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? 2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the Kingdom of heaven. 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Just a side thought... next time someone doesn't like the idea of ''serving God in heaven''. Help them grasp that if God is the greatest in Heaven. ...that would make Him the humblest being in the universe according to His word / who He is.

What are your thoughts? Will you respect those above you in heaven?

2. I get what you are saying (and will confess to not being as humble as I should be) but I do wonder how for example you relate your views on earthly positions to cases where children have been physically, mentally and sexually abused while in the care of churches. Would you consider that people who have done these things must have appointed by God because they were in the privileged positions that enabled them to act in such ways?

While I believe heaven would be different, I fear the reality in this life is that there may be wolves (as well as genuine people) at any level and you can't simply use position as a reliable indicator of trustworthiness, humility, etc.

3. I do not agree with this fully.. Or may be I am misunderstanding your post a little :) I should be respecting my Pastor because God ordained him.. It is not for me to say whether a person deserved something or not.. Because God's ways are not our ways.. If my respect is going to be based on the fact that I believe other person deserves it, then it is wrong.. I don't think anyone in Israel would have felt David deserved to be king.. The respect should be based on the fact that God ordained them.. And I always look at David's life.. After all, the Lord called him a man after His own heart! Even after Samuel anointed David as king, he still respected Saul.. As far as David was concerned, Saul is anointed by God to be king.. Does not matter what he did.. He cannot take Saul's life.. The respect was not based on the person.. Based on the fact that God ordained him to be king.. I think that is the way we should look at leadership even today.. That's my 2 cents..

4. PART 1:

Some are closer....because they are more mature. They have walked with the Lord longer - they have been through more faithfully - they have learned from their mistakes sooner - or a variety of things - but that closeness is from their end. God is close to all of His children - closer then their breaths. And that includes all. Some though....have learned to keep their eyes on Christ in every circumstance.

If a Christian did not really try to help widows and orphans, I would be concerned! "Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." James 2:17. Help is something all with the heart of Christ do - not just the more "spiritual" ones. Let us say your house is foreclosed on and you have no place to go. I, your sister in Christ, know of your plight but I do not invite you home with me. I say "hope you can find somewhere to sleep tonight!" instead. Would you just assume I was "less close to God" or would you doubt my Christianity period? Where is my Faith or Love in that??

And miracles are not a guaranteed sign of great faith. "On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’" Matthew 7:22-23. These people did not lack in miraculous signs - they lacked in knowing Christ. And that is the most important thing in this walk!

But back to the original point of your post....Should we just accept then that some will be closer to Christ and we just won't be in the big leagues? Some put in more effort? Some will get to sit on the throne with Him while the mid-level Christian looks on? We just aren't going to get there - most of us.

NO!

"Now all glory to God, who is able to keep you from falling away and will bring you with great joy into his glorious presence without a single fault." Jude 1:24. This is a promise of completion - to all Christians. To every Christian that is willing for Him to do this in them.

If we start to compare ourselves to others (and their achievements) we error. The focus of this walk is Christ, the Vine. To start looking at the other branches...seeing what you think to be more fruit and goodness....you get your eyes off the Vine, your Life source.

"Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding." 2 Corinthians 10:12.

"21 Peter asked Jesus, “What about him, Lord?” 22 Jesus replied, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? As for you, follow me.” John 21:21-22.

One branch is not more "humble" than another - one branch is not more powerful or good then another. Why? Because all that power, humility and goodness comes from Christ! It is not sourced in us or our efforts, but in the new Life inside! We can not take credit for HIS fruit! "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace..." Galatians 5:22. "God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.31 Therefore, as the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:30.

One branch does not have an advantage over the other. Same Vine, same Spirit - for all. "“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5. It is not a matter of others who seem to be ahead of you, further then you on the road. It is a matter of you and Christ. Are you in or outside of Christ? Are you willing or unwilling?" The answers to those questions determine if one overcomes or not.

Don't look to others....look at Christ and only Christ - the Author and Finisher of your faith! Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.[a] Because of the joy[b] awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne." Hebrews 12:1-2.

As for respecting others in heaven....how can we not when we will be in the presence of Love - free from our bodies of flesh and a sinful environment on the earth? Disrespect - anything contrary to love - simply will not be possible.

RosaVera and KingJ say Amen and like this.
  5. PART 2 (FINAL):

1 Corinthians 12:1-16:

"Now, dear brothers and sisters,[a] regarding your question about the special abilities the Spirit gives us. I don’t want you to misunderstand this. 2 You know that when you were still pagans, you were led astray and swept along in worshiping speechless idols. 3 So I want you to know that no one speaking by the Spirit of God will curse Jesus, and no one can say Jesus is Lord, except by the Holy Spirit.

4 There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. 5 There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. 6 God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us.

7 A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other. 8 To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice[b]; to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge.[c] 9 The same Spirit gives great faith to another, and to someone else the one Spirit gives the gift of healing. 10 He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages,[d] while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said. 11 It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have.

One Body with Many Parts
    12 The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ. 13 Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles,[e] some are slaves, and some are free. But we have all been baptized into one body by one Spirit, and we all share the same Spirit.[f]

14 Yes, the body has many different parts, not just one part. 15 If the foot says, “I am not a part of the body because I am not a hand,” that does not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear says, “I am not part of the body because I am not an eye,” would that make it any less a part of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, how would you hear? Or if your whole body were an ear, how would you smell anything?

18 But our bodies have many parts, and God has put each part just where he wants it. 19 How strange a body would be if it had only one part! 20 Yes, there are many parts, but only one body.21 The eye can never say to the hand, “I don’t need you.” The head can’t say to the feet, “I don’t need you.”

22 In fact, some parts of the body that seem weakest and least important are actually the most necessary. 23 And the parts we regard as less honorable are those we clothe with the greatest care. So we carefully protect those parts that should not be seen, 24 while the more honorable parts do not require this special care. So God has put the body together such that extra honor and care are given to those parts that have less dignity. 25 This makes for harmony among the members, so that all the members care for each other. 26 If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad."

Spiritual gifts are not a status thing. They are about the whole Body - building up that Body (including the weakest parts) until completion! The gifts are for the whole Body not just the more or really "spiritual" ones. :) And Scripture even says....the weakest are actually the most necessary - getting special care!

When it comes to spiritual gifts, let us not look at the individuals who have the gifts, but at the Body as a whole and the reason for the gifts - the completion, the maturity, of the entire Body!

Ephesians 4:11-16:

"Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. 12 Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ. 13 This will continue until we all come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God’s Son that we will be mature in the Lord, measuring up to the full and complete standard of Christ.

14 Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth. 15 Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. 16 He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love."

6. Why should that matter? It shouldn't. All that matters is that you love God, and He loves you.

AllieWi and Tressa say Amen and like this.
  7. Definitely wolves among lambs. But lets not throw the baby out with the bath water. Have you ever given much thought to the actual commitment a priest or nun makes? Could you do that? I couldn't come close! They never started off with ill intentions! That is for certain!

8. Of course Dana. That is important. As long as we are faithful. But is there no inner nudging to bite the bullet and grab the bull by the horns for God? Don't you crave to 'kick butt' for him? :).

JG27_chili likes this.
  9. I don't disagree completely.

I do believe that we need to give Christian leaders the benefit of the doubt and then some. They are at the forefront of this battle down here. It is always easy to criticize from the back. Something to think about is the likely reality that neither you or I will ever aspire to be even a shadow of David. Boy that sounds depressing as I write it :D.

10. Good post. Thanks Tressa

I am not quite looking at others or seeking to commend them as much as I am taking an inner look at myself and wanting us all to do that.

Tressa likes this.

11. Yes, I do. I want to get out there and minister for Him.

12. #12 ixoye_8, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    actually no .. some just are keyed in on listening ..

I know God loves you .. It's a matter of how personal you make it ..

13. It's no Mystery. Those that Put the Kingdom first, get the grace and favor. Money is a good test, if you can't be faithful in unrighteous mammon God won't trust you with true power, favor and real riches.

Where your treasure is, your heart is. Seek the kingdom of God first, put God first and all else is added. It's one reason I tithe. Before a bill is looked at, God is first with money. When I hear God, I react.

If your faithful in the little given, then your given more. If God can't even get you to Church on time, or do those dishes at night leaving them on your conscience then you are not qualified to the more.

If you look at the life of Jesus what did He speak? Only what he heard his Father say. He had power in his life and said what every you say and believe you shall have.

If you can't be trusted with the words of your mouth, cursing out one, and confessing your poor all the time then your words carry no weight when it comes time to pray. We are told those that waiver will not expect anything of the Lord.

Faith also pleases God. Fear does not please God. Fear says there is no God and He has forsaken me. Faith knows the father would never leave or forsake.

There are reason one has more power in their life than another and why one hears God more than the other. What can God say to someone that won't even stay in the place they were directed but move with every money opportunity that comes their way naturally? People change churches and never ask God if they should. They buy homes, with no thought as to if they should buy the home.

Do nothing without hearing first, keep your conscience clear of all things. Even those dishes in the sink you left. Do not tolerate any form of fear in your life. Speak the Word only, saying you scared me to death is speaking death and it should not come out of our mouth.

Sal and KingJ say Amen and like this.
  14. That's an interesting question. If I wound the clock back 26 years to when I was 27 and my "mess" started, the answer would have been no. I really just wanted a normal life - you know a wife, a house, etc. and you pray to God for help and you are given, right? At least my thinking was along those lines then...

If we fast forward to now I'm 53. I've pretty much written off my life ambitions (although I wouldn't mind my own place one day) and don't put the same sort of value on possessions as I used to. Don't get me wrong, I got an electric guitar a couple of weeks back and have been enjoying trying to play it. I still like toys but I think that when you've been through what I have during the bad spells, lying in bed for much of some days, staring at things I'm incapable of playing with, you can find they take on a certain degree of emptiness.

So without me being "saintly", when I've pondered along your sort of lines in more recent times, I've often felt it would be easier for me to sort of leave home and follow Him than it perhaps may be for some others as I don't feel I've much to loose. Looking at things from that angle alone, I think I could try. From a more practical view point, I could say that I don't imagine myself as being able to settle in to the regimented lifestyle of a monk.

I have greater issues than that though. I'd need to feel certain that whatever I was going into was in fact my calling and I'd need to believe my relationship with Christ was resolved. I'd also need more personal stability. As things stand, I can not even get out to shops, etc. on my own and I live with an alcohol problem that I know could flare up at any time - I can go months without a drink and there is absolutely no correlation between what I've drunk say over a 6 month period and this happening - there are spells where it feels like I'm being taken down.

Bottom line really is that I wish He would find some use for me and that I could find another way but I'm stuck where I am.

15. #15 xspinningisfun, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    It is not based on on our efforts that we have a relationship with God. So no, I don't agree that some Christians are closer to God. Why? Because it's not based of what we do, but it's based off what was done on the cross. Each relationship with God is different. Just like a husband and wife may have certain inside jokes, another husband and wife will have different inside jokes. But both relationships are the same in the way that they love each other.

Jesus died for all. Why? Because we were sinners, yes. That's the Sunday school answer and I agree with it. But it was also because we were once enemies with God but because of the death on the cross of Christ, we became friends. And therefore, all children of God are close to God because the cross made us friends with him. Jesus' death on the cross reconciled us with the Father.

But I do agree with you with a point. It's how serious we take it. But that doesn't mean we aren't close to God. Some people are serious about their relationship with Christ, while others aren't as close. I feel at the end of the day, I have a pretty legitimate relationship with Christ. However, I do go to a Bible college and it's difficult at times because I think to myself, "God...why does this person have a closer relationship with You than I do? I mean, I talk with you all the time. I really want to learn about you. I am dedicated to you. I want to serve you because I love You. So why do I feel like I'm not walking with You and am not close with You?"

And He responds with this: "Because my relationship with you is going to be different with everyone else's. You can't compare a relationship with another, because different relationships bring different aspects to the table. Just because I talk to this person in a different way doesn't mean you aren't close to Me. And just because I talk to you in a different way doesn't mean I'm closer to you than this person. I am close to both, because it's not about the efforts of humans but the efforts of the cross and what I did for you. I already made both of you close to me. I call both of you friends. I love you both. But I have different inside jokes with her than I have with you. And I have different inside jokes with you than I do with her. You have different callings, different learning styles of where you hear My voice. So yes, the relationship is different in that area."

We should seek God. We will find him. I'm not saying that we shouldn't seek God because we are already close with Him. We should continue seeking Him, serving Him, and loving Him. Yes, Jesus made a way for us to be friends with Him and that we are close with Him. But nothing that we will do will make us closer to Him....because we already are! If we have that mindset, "Well, if I do this, that means our relationship with God will become closer." That's underestimating the power of Jesus' death on the cross. We need to believe that we have been made RIGHT with God by the cross. We already have been made right and we can't make ourselves right be us drawing near to God because it's already been done!

Sal likes this.
  16. I don't agree entirely with you. Yes, the cross gets us all into His house / into a personal relationship / on equal footing with Him but just as some couples are closer to each other, likewise there are Christians that are closer to God then we are. Not merely different 'inside jokes' though there is that as well I am sure :p.

We get closer the same way our spouse does. If I had to see / hear my spouse defending me in my absence, we would be closer. If she was mocking me, we would be further. God brings us differing trials and tribulations knowing what we can handle and all ultimately as opportunities for us. God does not need us to do anything.

17. #17 xspinningisfun, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    I'm not talking about literal inside jokes. I was using that as an example as couples share.

I don't think you understand where I'm getting at, though ;) :p

And I'm PRETTY sure I didn't say anything like that ;) If you read my thing, I said it's not based off our own efforts. Therefore, that means that God doesn't need us to do anything. However, He chooses to use us.

18. Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, ’Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

Luk 13:3 "I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Act 5:32 "And we are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him."

Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Mat 25:41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
    Mat 25:42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink;
    Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.'
    Mat 25:44 "Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?'
    Mat 25:45 "Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.'
    Mat 25:46 "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
    Mat 7:22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
    Mat 7:23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Rev 3:16 'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

1Jo 3:14 We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death.

1Jo 3:15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer; and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

2Pe 2:21 For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them.

Luk 9:62 But Jesus said to him, "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."

Hbr 6:4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
    Hbr 6:5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
    Hbr 6:6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

Jam 2:24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
    Jam 2:25 In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?
    Jam 2:26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

19. Not trying to be rude, but I'm not understanding what you are saying :) Just giving scriptures with no explanation isn't really helping, haha. Can you elaborate on the Scriptures as to what you are trying to say? Thanks! :)

20. if giving scripture without giving my words doesn't help .. I'm sorry for you ..