so many students drinking!

so many students drinking!

in school there are a lot of people drinking, even on school nights. i keep wondering, is drinking per se bad? what about being drunk?

Jesus turned water into wine.

But in the case of me and T. Graham Bell, once we get even a little taste of it, we need His help once again to turn the wine back into water.:eek:

Drinking isn't bad - for some people. They can handle it and will stop at one glass. But for people like me, one glass means more. We become drunkards. Shameful. We lose our inhibitions. Nothing matters more than another drink. We'll stop going to church to drink. We'll stop praying to drink. We'll stop loving to drink.

So it depends on who is doing the drinking, I would say. If you're drinking to get drunk, then it's wrong.

Personally - I think the legal drinking age should be raised to a new level. Once you can show your college diploma...you can legally drink.:eek:

The bible does bnot tell us not to drink but it strictly admonishes us not to get drunk. Many young people have b nothing but emptiness inside their hearts. We all have a place that only God can fill. Withouth Him to complete our lives they are hollow and meaningless. There is a hunger inside and these souls will do or try almost anything to fill that space and find satisfaction. They lust after the things of this world and when they get them they feel better but only for a moment . Then they are faced with the realization that what they lusted after was only temporary satisfaction at best, they are empty again. Only God can satisfy their hearts.
As far as trying these things it is generally better to leave them alone if possible. A testimony of being delivered is awesome but there is one even better- a testimony of a heart that kept itself pure out of love for Christ.
I hope this helps in some way.
Much love and many blessings in His Name, brother Larry.

Jesus turned water into wine.

Personally - I think the legal drinking age should be raised to a new level. Once you can show your college diploma...you can legally drink.:eek:

While that is possibly one of the best suggestions I have ever heard D I think it would cut colledge enrollment in half. At least half of the folks I know that went did so to party and meet other singles.

well one of the reasons you find Jesus condoning wine is because they had wine, water, or juices.

not to mention that the water they had couldn't be purified if it was bad
juice was too much labor to get squeezing 10 oranges to get one glass
so drink wine without getting drunk

now a days we have alternatives to it coke, teas, juices, not to mention purified water
so why should we drink it in the first place
saves us from the temptation

i personally dont think its wrong to drink achololic beverages
i do however believe it is a sin to get drunk
but ill never drink
well
cuz i dont see the point

Baaaad_Kitty

People with the best intentions do some very stupid things when they're drunk. I have too much experience with that. I never would have done some of the things I've done. I could have saved myself a lot of pain and embarrassment that I'm still feeling today, had I not drank, or at least, not got so drunk. Keep in mind where I am, kids are getting drunk and high by the age of 15. So I'm not one who has grown up protected from this stuff, and thinks it's really really bad just cause.

One place I found it wasn't a problem for me was when I would be doing work in the summer with my dad. Like building his garage. He'd let me have a couple beers in the workday. It was refreshing in the heat, and I certainly didn't get drunk. But if you've never done it, you don't know how you'll act. And you most likely won't be able to go by a limit you've set.

I pray God will bring something else into your life so you don't even feel you have to go down that road.

again, thank you for the very fast replies! i love it here already!

the reason i asked is because when i started to give myself to god, my appetite for drink vanished almost overnight. then i see my other schoolmates just drinking and drinking, bragging how drunk they got. it didnt seem right and i didnt see the point anymore of drinking once i found god.

i've tried inviting them to bible studies, and one girl would always reply
"why study the bible when you can drink and get drunk be merry?" then laugh as if it was the funniest thing on earth.

i have this urge to just reach out to them (and to so many others). but i'd of course have to prepare before i can do that.

oh another question.

what about sin? is being drunk a sin in itself?

Joel 1:5

When I was drinking, I put the drink first above all else. I didn't deserve the Word of God when I was drunk. I wouldn't have appreciated it anyway.

When we drink (people like me), we open ourselves up. The secret doors to our souls swing wide open to let anything in. That's dangerous, because I need to be selective of what I allow into my heart.

In my case, God didn't like that and he let me know in so many ways. For me, it was a sin.

But keep in mind, too...Jesus came for and died for the sinners of the world. I asked Him to forgive me, and He did. Without hesitation. If you believe and call on Him, He helps. Forgives. Saves.

:jesus-sign:

baaaad_kitty;83957 what about sin? is being drunk a sin in itself?[/quote said:
If it goes against God's Word then it is sin.
Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

1 Cor 5:11
But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.

It seems drunkards are not in good company.

A great man once told me " show me your iirends and I will show you who you are".

ok so being drunk is bad because you lost control of yourself and then you can do things wherein you don't have control anymore. and that's shameful. got it.

what about social drinking? does being tipsy count as already being drunk?

sorry i have so many questions

well one of the reasons you find Jesus condoning wine is because they had wine, water, or juices.

not to mention that the water they had couldn't be purified if it was bad
juice was too much labor to get squeezing 10 oranges to get one glass
so drink wine without getting drunk

now a days we have alternatives to it coke, teas, juices, not to mention purified water
so why should we drink it in the first place
saves us from the temptation

i personally dont think its wrong to drink achololic beverages
i do however believe it is a sin to get drunk
but ill never drink
well
cuz i dont see the point

same answer
why you have other alternatives anyways
most of which taste better (i assume)

i told my pastor once why i wouldnt drink beer is because
it smells bad and its sticky

ok so being drunk is bad because you lost control of yourself and then you can do things wherein you don't have control anymore. and that's shameful. got it.

what about social drinking? does being tipsy count as already being drunk?

sorry i have so many questions

Questions are good.
The way I see it, social drinking isn’t bad in itself. What would make it “bad” is the reason for the social drinking. I think that would be between the individual and God. Once a person gets “tipsy”, that again would be between them and God.

I believe if someone is “tipsy”, then they have consumed enough alcohol to effect their judgment and their physical ability to function properly. What they have just done is cause their body to function in a way other than what God has intended.

Here are a couple verses, one from the OT and one from the NT. Be sure to read them within the context of the chapters and ultimately, within the context of the Bible as a whole.
I don’t know if there is a steadfast right or wrong answer for the “tipsy” question.
All I know is it’s a no for me. If I stop at the bar for “one“… that “one” will be the last one before the bar closes.

“One is too many… a thousand never enough”
(I know some of you will understand that one right away) :D

Ecc 9:7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.

1Co 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Back