Sleep is Overrated

Hello TransformedinChrist;

Years ago my wife and I met with our marriage counselor and raised the problem of losing sleep. There were many reasons.

We talked about spiritual, mental and physical well being for most men and women 40 years old and older and how required, consistent sleep is healthy especially for the heart.

If we are getting too much sleep and not getting enough physical activity, we can fall into a pattern of going to sleep and then waking up at unusual hours. If we carry too much worry, or a strained relationship with a loved one can linger as factors for losing sleep.

In 1996 I was advised by a good friend and brother in Christ to study the Bible before going to sleep. I found this helps us sleep a minimum of 6 to 8 hours and have been doing this ever since.

Reading God's Word is always assuring to us, whatever we may be going through before we go to sleep.

We found this has given us consistent sleep and we don't drink coffee after 1 or 2 cups in the morning.

I hope what little I shared may help you, TiC.

God bless you and your family.

Hello TransformedinChrist;

Years ago my wife and I met with our marriage counselor and raised the problem of losing sleep. There were many reasons.

We talked about spiritual, mental and physical well being for most men and women 40 years old and older and how required, consistent sleep is healthy especially for the heart.

If we are getting too much sleep and not getting enough physical activity, we can fall into a pattern of going to sleep and then waking up at unusual hours. If we carry too much worry, or a strained relationship with a loved one can linger as factors for losing sleep.

In 1996 I was advised by a good friend and brother in Christ to study the Bible before going to sleep. I found this helps us sleep a minimum of 6 to 8 hours and have been doing this ever since.

Reading God's Word is always assuring to us, whatever we may be going through before we go to sleep.

We found this has given us consistent sleep and we don't drink coffee after 1 or 2 cups in the morning.

I hope what little I shared may help you, TiC.

God bless you and your family.
Thank you!! ❤️ 💙 💜 💖 💗

I work nights so yes my sleep pattern is probably mixed up.

And then on my days off I find it harder to sleep at night. I feel more tired at daytime.

So I just go with the flow these days.
I also do like to listen to good soothing raindrops or music and Jesus words and it’s very soothing before sleeep if I feel stressed or worried about something.

I prefer and work better in a busy environment and so I struggle to keep awake if there’s nothing engaging for me to do.

Well sleep is still overrated! 😴

Hello TiC;

When I read your post it made me think? How is sleep overated? Until I went into the sanctuary then I understood...

I always thought too much sleep was better for your heart and getting your body and mind refreshed. Not entirely true.

Too much sleep can make the body and mind sluggish, and may trigger moody, depressed or negative feelings.

Are we talking about "balance" of getting just enough sleep?

Other's thoughts?

Hello TiC;

When I read your post it made me think? How is sleep overated? Until I went into the sanctuary then I understood...

I always thought too much sleep was better for your heart and getting your body and mind refreshed. Not entirely true.

Too much sleep can make the body and mind sluggish, and may trigger moody, depressed or negative feelings.

Are we talking about "balance" of getting just enough sleep?

Other's thoughts?
Balance of getting enough sleep for sure.

For years, really for a couple decades, I worked 2 jobs and operated on an average of 4 hours of sleep. Asleep at 12:00am, up by 4:00am.

This was my sleep schedule if there were no household or work issues, and there were often one or both, so often this became 2-3 hours.

There was an up side, I could sleep anywhere and at anytime. I would only need to close my eyes and, “poof”, off to dreamland. I acquired some notoriety for this among my small circle.

Now that my life is reshuffled, I have had trouble falling asleep and reprogramming my sleep cycle into something more normal and healthy.

As bobinfaith mentioned, reading scripture is soothing and contemplative. So again, there is an upside to my struggle with sleep, and that is, I read a lot more scripture. I have read the KJV cover to cover a couple times and much of the NASB also.

Sleep is somewhat like money, you don’t worry or think much about it unless you don’t have enough it seems.

God bless all of you who struggle with sleep.

There will be another upside: I am guessing sleep is not an issue in Heaven.

Back