1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

sin of slander?

Discussion in 'Doctrinal Discussions' started by 福井舞, Jan 5, 2015.

1. I know spreading something false about someone is definitely consider slander.

but what about

1 someone told you something nasty about another person, you know there are two sides to every story, but you did not say to yourself, maybe I should get to the bottom of this, instead you start spreading the word ie if you think about it, you can not be 100% sure what that person told you was the truth

2 spreading something that is 100% true about another person, but with malicious intent to destroy or hurt that person.

if you choose to answer this question, could you also cite relevant passages from the scripture.
  2. Whatever we do, our motive must always be 1 Thess 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Sometimes / most times talking nonsense about others whether true or not can make us guilty of stumbling others Rom 14:13-23 So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. At times perhaps even guilty of 2 Tim 2:16 Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.
    Rezz likes this.
  3. I don't want to quote any specific verse. I think all through Proverbs the message is quite clear - "speak less".
  4. Pro 11:13 kjva A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.

Ecc 10:20 kjva Curse not the king, no not in thy thought; and curse not the rich in thy bedchamber: for a bird of the air shall carry the voice, and that which hath wings shall tell the matter.

I tell people I am not interested in Hearing bad things about others. Are they telling me so that I can use the information to help them? We need to shut the unsaved ignorant talebearers down before they open their mouths.

Years back I went to my mentor in the Lord to tell him what horrible thing someone did to me. Before I could even get speaking he told me to shut up, and tell him why my heart was not right holding a root of bitterness. I said, "But they did this." and he cut me off again. I got real mad, it's like He did not care.
    He did care, and was protecting me from the enemy getting place. I just was to carnal minded at the time to understand.

Rezz and 福井舞 say Amen and like this.
  5. hi

thanks for your reply, I know scripture teaches it is wise to watch the words that come out of our mouth, and one day we will have to give an account for every single words we have uttered.

but I don't know which part of scripture address this issue head on, thanks for pointing to the specific passage

6. interesting

7. Who in the bible encourages impugning, besmirching, accusing, and slandering the brethren?
    Who in the bible has the title "Accuser of the brethren"

Do you want to do that guy's work for him?
    Do you really want to be his emissary?
    福井舞 likes this.
  8. I personally don't

though there might be enough volunteers as it is.