Sin Free?

I'm sorta unsure about if thoughts can be sinful--- I think some thoughts can be if we dwell on them and agree on them when they're impure.

For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly (Mark 7:21-22).
Each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death (James 1:14-15).
For example, a person can cut me off when I'm driving and really upset me. I might say not-so-nice things about the person, which I realize is sinful since I'm being mean towards a stranger and I try instead to pray for that person.

Yet, I don't think its sinful if I notice a handsome man and find my mind wandering, as long as I catch myself and stop that thought.

I think when we catch ourselves having impure thoughts and stop that thought, then we're not sinning. Yet when we run with that thought and maybe the thought turns into an action, THEN we're sinning.

Impure thoughts are not sin; they become sin when we entertain them.

Everybody has impure thoughts of one type or another. That's part of the package of being alive. Having an impure thought come into your mind is not a sin by itself; choosing to entertain the thought is a sin.

A good guideline is not to allow yourself to consider or dwell on anything God would not want you to do. Don't allow yourself to think about sinning or ways you could go about sinning.
Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature (Romans 13:14).
From: http://www.dougbrittonbooks.com/onl...ercomingsin/purelife-guardyourthoughtlife.php

But a thought is sin. If we dwell on that thought, it then becomes a transgression.
An impure thought does not come from God, it comes from our flesh. No matter how small of a thought it is, it is sin. Once we recognize it, we can dwell on it, or we can get rid of it.

But that is why we need to put all impure thoughts under the Blood of Jesus .and yes recognizing those impure thoughts are the first step Good point Dean

2 Corinthians 10:5

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Back