1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Sense of humor in Bible

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ravindran, Mar 5, 2015.

1. This is not a thread for debate on whether we can see some kind of sense of humor in Bible.. Let me be clear about that.. I don't want to turn this into a debate.. But I would like to see where you have seen some kind of sense of humor captured in Bible.. Not necessarily from God.. but from different characters in Bible as well.. I would start..

I always wondered if Moses smiled at this event in the midst of his anger :)

Exodus 32
    22 “Don’t get so upset, my lord,” Aaron replied. “You yourself know how evil these people are.23 They said to me, ‘Make us gods who will lead us. We don’t know what happened to this fellow Moses, who brought us here from the land of Egypt.’24 So I told them, ‘Whoever has gold jewelry, take it off.’ When they brought it to me, I simply threw it into the fire—and out came this calf!”

The last statement from Aaron is simply amazing.. I simply threw them in the fire.. And hey, look what came out! The next verse pretty much cuts into next scene..Moses addressing the crowd.. I wonder what was Moses reaction to this from Aaron :D
    Big Moose, Cturtle and Euphemia says Amen and like this.
  2. Elijah and his zeal for the Lord makes me laugh a little in the account of his challenging the 450 prophets of Baal about their demon god. What confidence!

1 Kings 18:26-27
    So they prepared one of the bulls and placed it on the altar. Then they called on the name of Baal from morning until noontime, shouting, “O Baal, answer us!” But there was no reply of any kind. Then they danced, hobbling around the altar they had made.

27 About noontime Elijah began mocking them. “You’ll have to shout louder,” he scoffed, “for surely he is a god! Perhaps he is daydreaming, or is relieving himself. Or maybe he is away on a trip, or is asleep and needs to be wakened!”
    Lanolin, Cturtle, Robine and 1 other person say Amen and like this.
  3. Exodus 14:24-25 KJV - And it came to pass, that in the morning watch the LORD looked unto the host of the Egyptians through the pillar of fire and of the cloud, and troubled the host of the Egyptians, And took off their chariot wheels, that they drave them heavily: so that the Egyptians said, Let us flee from the face of Israel; for the LORD fighteth for them against the Egyptians.

Modern translation: God took off their lug nuts! Chariots without wheels! :D

I can just imagine it: there you are riding along, you see a cloud, you hear some squeeking sounds and *BAM* your chariot is being dragged by the horses in the mud! :)
    Euphemia, Big Moose and Ravindran says Amen and like this.
  4. My wife's brother read a book written by a redemptorist priest, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. But he's a Biblical scholar and offers that some of the passages that we wouldn't even consider to be comical were written with a sense of humor. For instance Matthew 19:24 was possibly intended to be, while a valid point, comedic too.

I'll find out what that book was called.
    Ravindran likes this.
  5. One of my favorites is contained in Daniel 5 -

Good old King Belshazzar was a party animal. He had been celebrating with a thousand of his 'closest' friends, and as he was enjoying another goblet of wine, he saw the fingers of a man's hand writing something on the wall near him... only fingers - no arms or body, just fingers. Daniel 5: 6 (KJV) says, " 6 Then the king's countenance was changed, and his thoughts troubled him, so that the joints of his loins were loosed, and his knees smote one against another."

Taking verse 6 back to the original Aramaic language, 'the king's countenance was changed' and 'his loins were loosed' essentially means that the old King was so startled that his face turned pale and he 'soiled his shorts' . You won't read it that way in most English language bibles, but it is described that way in the Aramaic scripture. ;)

We know that God has a sense of humor - have you ever looked at a Duckbill Platypus ?
    Euphemia, Abdicate, Big Moose and 2 others say Amen and like this.
  6. I think we have a common name for that look, but I will not say it as we all could figure it out.
  7. One of my favorites is, "Sarah laughed" when told that she would have a child in her old age. Some like to say it was out of unbelief but I like to think it was from the overwhelming joy she felt at the news.
    Ravindran likes this.
  8. #8 CCW95A, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    It is always best to do things God's way!!

1Sa 5:9.. And it was so, that, after they had carried it about, the hand of the LORD was against the city with a very great destruction: and he smote the men of the city, both small and great, and they had emerods in their secret parts.
  9. Never poke fun of God's anointed no matter what age you are!!

2Ki 2:23.. And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    2Ki 2:24.. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
  10. I think you might need a friend to help you with this one. It is in a very "tight" spot to get to. :)

1Sa 6:4 Then said they, What shall be the trespass offering which we shall return to him? They answered, Five golden emerods, and five golden mice, according to the number of the lords of the Philistines: for one plague was on you all, and on your lords.
    1Sa 6:5 Wherefore ye shall make images of your emerods, and images of your mice that mar the land; and ye shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure he will lighten his hand from off you, and from off your gods, and from off your land.
  11. Absolutely correct my brother!

When we read what Aaron said, it has to cause you to laugh!

Proverbs 22:13..............
    "The sluggard says, 'There is a lion outside!'"

Heb. 11:12 is real funny to me..............
    "Therefore there was born even of Abraham, and him as good as dead at that, as many descendants as the stars in heaven".
    Ravindran likes this.
  12. Agreed! Now that is funny!
  13. Sometimes you just have to laugh at the translation in the KJ version.
    1 Samuel 25:22 So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
    The vernacular used to denote a male person is used a handful of times in the OT.
    Then there is :
    2 Peter 2:16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
    This scripture references Numbers 22 in which Balaam is riding his donkey. The angel keeps getting in the path of the donkey, Balaam gets mad and strikes the donkey, for he does not see the angel. The first time, the donkey turns and goes into a field. Balaam whacks the donkey to get her back on the path. Then the donkey is stopped in a place where there are walls on each side of the path. The donkey moves into a wall and crushes Balaam's foot. He is really mad and strikes the donkey again. The next time, there is no room to go anywhere, for it is too narrow, and the donkey just falls to the ground. Now Balaam is furious and strikes the donkey a third time. Then God make the donkey talk to Balaam.
    "and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?

29 And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.

30 And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? and he said, Nay.

31 Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.

I love that he answered the donkey, "Because you mocked me, I'd kill you if I could".
    Ravindran and Lanolin say Amen and like this.
  14. Ok. Im trying to think of some passages that arent toilet humour,,but for some reason Scripture comes to mind when Dinah fell in love with the non Israelite and he was prepared to convert because of her and his entire family, so they ALL got circumcised, not just the bf, and they were sore...

It wasnt very funny in the end though. But can you imagine.

Otherwise, the KJV translation when Lazarus is lying in the tomb for more than 3 days, Martha says but Lord, by this time he stinketh.

I love that word 'stinketh' just cracks me up.
  15. I always found this passage funny...

16. Acts also when the holy spirit came in the upper room and they all speaking in tongues...and everyone else thought they were drunk even though it was still morning...
  17. Mark14:
    50 And they all forsook him, and fled.

51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:

52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.
  18. What car did they drive? Honda! And they had to share it.

Acts 2:1 (KJV)
    And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. ​
    Big Moose and Ravindran say Amen and like this.
  19. Galatians 5v12.
    Paul is berating the Galatians for their tolerating the legalists who preached law keeping and circumcision.
    v5 I wish that those who are troubling you would even "mutilate themselves".
    v5 I would they were even "cut off" which trouble you.

The translators and editors were a little squeamish about using explicit words, thankfully some translations hit the nail on the head
    v5 I wish those who are disturbing you might also get themselves castrated!

The context is about taking a knife to certain parts of adult men's anatomy. Being fully trained in circumcision, I can imagine the restraint from Paul, who undoubtedly would like to complete the job on the legalisers himself and put paid to their false preaching.
    Big Moose likes this.
  20. I have no doubt that Jesus had a wonderful sense of humor, a great leader has to have it.

This is not biblical but Vassula Ryden, a Christian mystic, once told that she was preparing dinner and said to herself: 'I'm starving!' Jesus allegedly replied 'For my Word?' :D