Scripture - Its Use And Abuse

Do you not have a problem with there being 66 books in the Bible?

Also, you can just as easily Google errors in the Bible and get just as many "errors" there also. The point is whether or not they are useful in our understanding of the faith, those that are both useful and inspired are canonical, those that are just useful are duterocanonical.
where are the errors in the bible?

That's sad.

That's right. You wouldn't be.

My belief (as well as many others) is that people were spiritually deaf to Holy Spirit during the Dark Ages. He burst the stronghold wide open with the Reformation.
Euphemia. My point is that you cannot make an absolute statement like that. It comes across arrogant and uninsightful and its not useful. It is a shame because I can tell you know the word very well and you have the ability to really help others but the way that you speak to others is condescending and argumentative which is why every thread you post in becomes an argument. Discussion is a two way street. You give and take. You don't shove your beliefs down everyone's throat. Even the most wretched atheist has insights that you don't have and by at least alowing him to voice his beliefs you can open up that channel to his heart. Otherwise you just cause people to tense up.

I don't believe the bible has errors, but if someone wants to find errors they can create them. Just googling errors in the apocryphal by someone looking for errors isn't a good approach. As Deuterocanonical books they are regarded as helpful lenses but are not considered inerrant.

Euphemia. My point is that you cannot make an absolute statement like that. It comes across arrogant and uninsightful and its not useful. It is a shame because I can tell you know the word very well and you have the ability to really help others but the way that you speak to others is condescending and argumentative which is why every thread you post in becomes an argument. Discussion is a two way street. You give and take. You don't shove your beliefs down everyone's throat. Even the most wretched atheist has insights that you don't have and by at least alowing him to voice his beliefs you can open up that channel to his heart. Otherwise you just cause people to tense up.

It isn't arrogant to be confident in God and His precious word. His word is truth. What is arrogant is to stand against that, judging others for their confidence. I make assertions based on what God says, but that is not argumentative. A "wretched atheist" has his own human insights, but they are not of God, and those who know the word are up for the challenge to show him the way of truth. No one is disallowing an atheist or anyone to voice his beliefs. It is up to Holy Spirit to open eyes and ears. What causes people to become tense is to consistently counter the Christian and his/her Christian faith and beliefs and practice on a Christian forum.

Last edited:
It isn't arrogant to be confident in God and His precious word. His word is truth. What is arrogant is to stand against that, judging others for their confidence. I make assertions based on what God says, but that is not argumentative. A "wretched atheist" has his own human insights, but they are not of God, and those who know the word are up for the challenge to show him the way of truth. No one is disallowing an atheist or anyone to voice his beliefs. It is up to Holy Spirit to open eyes and ears. What causes people to become tense is to consistently counter the Christian and his/her Christian faith and beliefs and practice on a Christian forum.
Do you really think that's what he (and I and many others) are doing? Judging you for your "confidence"? The problem is that you don't allow for opinions other than your own on anything at all. I suggest there are 73 books in the Bible? Nope, there are 66, I'm wrong and that's all there is to it. I say I'm saved at the time of my baptism? Nope, that's wrong too, it's done your way. This is what people are having to tell you over and over, there's your way and our way but only God's way is correct, and that's the way YOU do it. How can you not see that as arrogant? How can you not see that as frustrating to other people? And you use it as a cheap cop-out every single time.

Here's a similar example: A child doing a test in school, is given multiple choice, and is told to select the correct answer. The child answers none of the given choices and says instead, "The right answer is the one that's correct." A completely sneaky way of dodging the question rather than dealing with it head-on. This is what you did earlier when asked who's right in an example with two Christians arguing over a matter of interpretation. You basically said "God's right, there is only one answer." But what you never address is the fact that you see yourself as being teacher's pet for God and always in the right and everyone else is always in the wrong.

Do you really think that's what he (and I and many others) are doing? Judging you for your "confidence"? The problem is that you don't allow for opinions other than your own on anything at all. I suggest there are 73 books in the Bible? Nope, there are 66, I'm wrong and that's all there is to it. I say I'm saved at the time of my baptism? Nope, that's wrong too, it's done your way. This is what people are having to tell you over and over, there's your way and our way but only God's way is correct, and that's the way YOU do it. How can you not see that as arrogant? How can you not see that as frustrating to other people? And you use it as a cheap cop-out every single time.

No one is stopping you from expressing your many opinions. Are you actually giving me the authority to allow or disallow your expression of an opinion? Wow---that is quite a lot of power!

Here's a similar example: A child doing a test in school, is given multiple choice, and is told to select the correct answer. The child answers none of the given choices and says instead, "The right answer is the one that's correct." A completely sneaky way of dodging the question rather than dealing with it head-on. This is what you did earlier when asked who's right in an example with two Christians arguing over a matter of interpretation. You basically said "God's right, there is only one answer." But what you never address is the fact that you see yourself as being teacher's pet for God and always in the right and everyone else is always in the wrong.

God is right.

All believers are Teacher's Pet! I think you just don't like my assertiveness and confidence in the word of God. You can speak whatever you want about me and to me, but I can't? Stop being so intimidated and let's get on with sharing about the goodness of God, and what His word has to say about all sorts of things. Game? I am.

No one is stopping you from expressing your many opinions. Are you actually giving me the authority to allow or disallow your expression of an opinion? Wow---that is quite a lot of power!

God is right.

All believers are Teacher's Pet! I think you just don't like my assertiveness and confidence in the word of God. You can speak whatever you want about me and to me, but I can't? Stop being so intimidated and let's get on with sharing about the goodness of God, and what His word has to say about all sorts of things. Game? I am.

Intimidating? Ha. Ha. Ha.

You are the ones with double standards here. I'm more than happy to listen to anyone's opinion.

The errors are not in the bible but the errors are found in misinterpreting scripture. I dont want to open this can of worms but just to give an example. We have pre, mid, and post trib rapture theories, howvere we know there is only one second coming of Christ, there fore two of these are wrong and yet people say there are scriptures to back up all three theories. And if one really studies with an openmind and a yearning for truth found in the word, and not in teachings of man, one will discover truth. The mishandling of scriptures shows ones devotion to study to shew thyself approved... a workman who needeth not be ashamed. Or should I say, a lack thereof. This is why its important for us to study the bible and not take anyones word on what they say, not even a preacher. Unless of course the error is in translation. An example of that would be the word easter in the book of acts in the kjv. Later versions use passover instead because scholars and translators have come together in agreement the word easter is in error, which it is.

God is right.

I think its a great idea Euphemia, and perhaps we can set up a way to deal with some of our disagreements (and I speak of everyone right now).

Let's agree, if someone make a point, and you want to counter it, say "I understand what you are saying," and mean this, "but, this is where I think you lead astray..." and just give respectful counsel. I really don't believe anyone here has any malicious intent, I think their are just disagreements about how to read and apply scripture. Which is okay, but I think the assault on each other's intentions is destructive.

The thing I can't seem to impress on you is that I'm not here to make war with you or shoot you down out of reflex. Everything turns into a debate because you're tenacious as hell about everything, and if I had even the slightest inkling that you were even CONSIDERING that there's another side to the coin we are discussing I might think, OK, we can leave it there. But I'm not ABLE to just "leave it" when you don't consider that the Bible had 73 books at one time, or that yes, there are some atheists who manage to be genuinely happy, or that baptism is often considered to be about original sin and not actual sin. I'm not demanding you BELIEVE any of those things. All I'm saying is consider that there's another belief contrary to yours and it's just as valid for consideration as yours and if you believe them it makes you no less of a Christian. I will attempt better to stop letting things devolve into bickering but I can't promise anything more than that.

I think much of the problem is in everyone wants the last word. I have run in to this often in making a comment which has a conclusion to the discussion, but someone continues to jump in basically to disagree with you, as if the first 20 such comments from that person were not enough.
I think we all could do better if we were aware of this childish behavior of always needing to counter to have the last word.

Back